Cowboys 7 RD Mock

dantheman41

Reaction score
My 1st crack at the Cowboys mock draft. Not what I would do, but what I envision they might do.

1st Round - Jordan Willis DE - I personally think this is a little too high for Willis, but I would imagine Cowboys will love him because he projects to be a RDE in there scheme.

2nd Round -
Kevin King CB - Cowboys love length in CB's and King has the height and the length. He also has experience playing as a FS as well.

3rd Round - Isaac Asiata G - Similar style player to Ron Leary. Absolute mauler, brawler type. Gives Cowboys the option of moving La'el Collins to RT if need be

4th Round - Shelton Gibson WR - Gibson finally gives the Cowboys the big play guy that can stretch a defense. Plus, he can be the immediate return guy.

6th Round - Lorenzo Jerome S - I don't think he will fall this low, but Jerome is a ball hawking FS from St. Francis. He's one of my favorite Day 3 players.

7th Round - Steven Taylor OLB - Really good blitzing LB. Instinctive player. Core special teams guy.

7th Round - Tarik Cohen RB - One of best RB's with the ball in his hands. So shifty in the open field.

Thoughts?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
My 1st crack at the Cowboys mock draft. Not what I would do, but what I envision they might do.

1st Round - Jordan Willis DE - I personally think this is a little too high for Willis, but I would imagine Cowboys will love him because he projects to be a RDE in there scheme.

2nd Round -
Kevin King CB - Cowboys love length in CB's and King has the height and the length. He also has experience playing as a FS as well.

3rd Round - Isaac Asiata G - Similar style player to Ron Leary. Absolute mauler, brawler type. Gives Cowboys the option of moving La'el Collins to RT if need be

4th Round - Shelton Gibson WR - Gibson finally gives the Cowboys the big play guy that can stretch a defense. Plus, he can be the immediate return guy.

6th Round - Lorenzo Jerome S - I don't think he will fall this low, but Jerome is a ball hawking FS from St. Francis. He's one of my favorite Day 3 players.

7th Round - Steven Taylor OLB - Really good blitzing LB. Instinctive player. Core special teams guy.

7th Round - Tarik Cohen RB - One of best RB's with the ball in his hands. So shifty in the open field.

Thoughts?
Willis will be a round 2 guy.
King i dont think would fit in this scheme because he plays slow and his reaction is slow.
Asiata i see as a wasted pick because Dallas has looney and edwards who dallas wanted in the draft.

would love willis at 60

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Kevin king will not be there at 60. I don't know what makes y'all think a guy with his measurables and TAPE falls to 60. Byron had no tape and was a first rounder

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Kevin king will not be there at 60. I don't know what makes y'all think a guy with his measurables and TAPE falls to 60. Byron had no tape and was a first rounder
because there are 10 or 11 cbs rated higher then king. And there is tape on the 10 or 11 cbs rated higher and players rated higher. Alot of WRs and and DL are going to dominate RD2.

nfl.com draft report
SOURCES TELL US
"I'm not 100 percent sure what you do with him because he's not a physical tackler, but he's almost too tall to be trusted against shifty receivers. Maybe a team like Seattle, which love those long, press corners. Or you might see a team try and make him a free safety." -- West Coast regional scout for AFC team
NFL COMPARISON
Damian Swann
BOTTOM LINE
Unusually tall cornerback with experience playing in the slot and as a starting safety. Showed improved instincts and ball production in 2016, but there are still concerns about whether he has the athleticism and recovery speed to utilize his length to play the football. Might be best suited to more zone coverage or off-man based on his speed limitations, but in either scheme he'll need to improve his aggressiveness as a tackler.

Slow reaction, almost too tall to be trusted, and not a good tackler. Soft

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
because there are 10 or 11 cbs rated higher then king. And there is tape on the 10 or 11 cbs rated higher and players rated higher. Alot of WRs and and DL are going to dominate RD2.

nfl.com draft report
SOURCES TELL US
"I'm not 100 percent sure what you do with him because he's not a physical tackler, but he's almost too tall to be trusted against shifty receivers. Maybe a team like Seattle, which love those long, press corners. Or you might see a team try and make him a free safety." -- West Coast regional scout for AFC team
NFL COMPARISON
Damian Swann
BOTTOM LINE
Unusually tall cornerback with experience playing in the slot and as a starting safety. Showed improved instincts and ball production in 2016, but there are still concerns about whether he has the athleticism and recovery speed to utilize his length to play the football. Might be best suited to more zone coverage or off-man based on his speed limitations, but in either scheme he'll need to improve his aggressiveness as a tackler.

Slow reaction, almost too tall to be trusted, and not a good tackler. Soft
Lol is that what YOU see? I've exposed many people in here who like to piggyback off of the mediots. King has about 6 games on draftbreakdown. Have you watched them? What plays did he show soft tackling/slow reaction? and who are the 10 corners you'd draft over King?

dantheman41

Reaction score
Lol is that what YOU see? I've exposed many people in here who like to piggyback off of the mediots. King has about 6 games on draftbreakdown. Have you watched them? What plays did he show soft tackling/slow reaction? and who are the 10 corners you'd draft over King?

King was probably somewhere in the 13th - 16th CB before the combine to be honest on film... I've evaluated over 30 CB's for the draft. He is probably in the top 11 or 12 now that he impressed at combine. He had some long speed question marks before the combine. Guys that are still over him IMO:

Lattimore, Conley, Wilson, Tabor, Humphrey, Tankersley, White, Sutton, Adoree' Jackson, Moreau, Awuzie

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

+100

Kevin King "soft?"

His tackling and willingness to be physical is the primary reason I like him. I'd take King over Teez Tabor any day.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

2nd Round -

Thoughts?

Lorenzo James just isn't an NFL caliber athlete, at least to be playing in the secondary.

I'm a big Gibson fan.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Not now that Jones is hurt. That length will push him way up too with everyone looking for that body type.

tm1119

Reaction score
Too early for Willis for my liking but I can see Cowboys doing it.

Yes please on King

I think the Cowboys would take a RT over a G. I think fans are making the Collins switch a lot more simple than it is. The weakness of his game as a guard was pass protection, not sure how well he projects to OT at this point...

Gibson's speed is intriguing...can he return kicks/punts?

tm1119

Reaction score
Not now that Jones is hurt. That length will push him way up too with everyone looking for that body type.

There's like 10-12 CB's who could all go inside the 4th round round that are 6' or taller. I'm not saying he definitely will/won't be available, but there are too many CB's in this draft to try and narrow it down to who will be left imo.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Too early for Willis for my liking but I can see Cowboys doing it.

Yes please on King

I think the Cowboys would take a RT over a G. I think fans are making the Collins switch a lot more simple than it is. The weakness of his game as a guard was pass protection, not sure how well he projects to OT at this point...

Gibson's speed is intriguing...can he return kicks/punts?
Thank you. All the talk of Free being a blow average pass protector and disregarding that he was a solid run blocker this offseason. Now they want to have a player who may not be much better then Free at pass protecting for his 1st year or 2 at RT at the least. An elite run blocking guard may be what he is.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
5'10, 204 lbs safeties that run 4.70 and 7.63 in the 3-cone will get exposed in the secondary or when trying to chase down RBs at an angle.

Combine metrics aren't the end-all-be-all, but those marks are pretty bad.

Sydla

Reaction score

He'll suffer because this is an unusually deep defensive back draft.