News: Cowboys Activate Jon’vea Johnson and Saivion Smith, cut Kendrick Rogers

quickccc

Reaction score
I liked Gary Guyton more than Jon'vea Johnson. With that being said, speed only helps at the wideout position if it's starting, IMO. With Garrett's run heavy offense I always thought we should have had a speedy WR on the field to scare DB's off the line of scrimmage. So I would have liked to have seen, Gallup as our one WR and Guyton as our two WR (before we traded for Cooper).

Then we could have kept Beasley.

Wasn't that WR Jalen Guyton you're thinking of ?? (from north texas state)
Speedy and had a few moments in camp, but another one just like J. Johnson,that completely hit a wall the more camp proceeded on, and
he didn't show up in preseason games (one lone big play i think)
And those speedy guys came a year after we traded for Cooper, and after Beasley left for FA, while his slot replacement Cobb cheaply
came here in FA.

We had four new speedsters in last year's camp with Devin Smith, Johnson, Guyton and Reggie Davis, but except Devin, the remaining
ones all faded in the end. Devin's preseason performance greatly helped his cause for a roster spot.
What i really do like is this Cowboys team trying to invest in more speed- separation guys into the offense.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Wasn't that WR Jalen Guyton you're thinking of ?? (from north texas state)
Speedy and had a few moments in camp, but another one just like J. Johnson,that completely hit a wall the more camp proceeded on, and
he didn't show up in preseason games (one lone big play i think)
And those speedy guys came a year after we traded for Cooper, and after Beasley left for FA, while his slot replacement Cobb
came here in FA.

We had four new speedsters in last year's camp with Devin Smith, Johnson, Guyton and Reggie Davis, but except Devin, the remaining
ones all faded in the end. Devin's preseason performance greatly helped his cause for a roster spot.
What i really do like is this Cowboys team trying to invest in more speed- separation guys into the offense.

Jon'Vea had not problem getting open; that's something that's difficult to teach. His problem is that he was trying to hard to make big plays and not securing the ball first. Then, it appeared after the first couple of drops that he started overthinking it. Hopefully, with a year to work on it, he's ready to make the same kind of step Miles Austin did. He also had some drop issues early on.

quickccc

Reaction score
Jon'Vea had not problem getting open; that's something that's difficult to teach. His problem is that he was trying to hard to make big plays and not securing the ball first. Then, it appeared after the first couple of drops that he started overthinking it. Hopefully, with a year to work on it, he's ready to make the same kind of step Miles Austin did. He also had some drop issues early on.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...rthys-system-jonvea-johnson-or-cedrick-wilson

Johnson's roster chances may not just come down to lowering his drops but also how can he contribute to play special teams.
At least Miles Austin was a dynamic kick returner for special teams contribution, while his raw receiving skills further developed.
Johnson has no experience or past success in special teams play.

gimmesix

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...rthys-system-jonvea-johnson-or-cedrick-wilson

Johnson's roster chances may not just come down to lowering his drops but also how can he contribute to play special teams.
At least Miles Austin was a dynamic kick returner for special teams contribution, while his raw receiving skills further developed.
That's possible but I'm not sure this regime would drop him if he's the better option at receiver than one who can play special teams. It would probably depend on how close they are abilitywise as receivers.

What I saw last preseason is a player who could get open like none of the rest of our backups.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I think we'll end up keeping six receivers: Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Smith, Johnson and Wilson. If we do it's possible Johnson could be inactive on game days if he doesn't contribute on special teams unless he can overtake Smith for the fourth receiver role.

Of course, with the extended practice squad numbers and ability to protect four players on it, it's possible that we stash him there for a year if he needs further development.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
These types of moves were a whole lot more exciting a year ago.