Signed by Cowboys Cowboys add DB Decoud and G Wichman to practice squad

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
2017 Rams Roster Preview: OL Cody Wichmann, Silent And Steady
After surprising in 2015 and being the first choice for a starter after injuries in 2016, Wichmann has quietly grown into a decent depth option.
By Elijah Kim@Football_EZK Jul 27, 2017, 9:45am CDTSHARE
usa_today_9364373.0.jpg
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
Los Angeles Rams OL Cody Wichmann is a sixth-round success story. Coming from a small town in California and working his way up to a All-Mountain West Second Team player at Fresno St., the third-year pro has been “Steady Eddie,” being ready to start in a pinch. Evident by his 18 combined starts in two years, Wichmann ideally is the first interior OL off the bench but has been stretched to start due to injuries shuffling around.

Graded as a “below average” guard by PFF in 2016, Wichmann is not going to wow you or suddenly ascend as a perennial starter, but he serves as an important depth piece for this Rams team who has yet to show significant promise across the offensive front in many years.

Roster Battle
The Rams top five OL seems set with LT Andrew Whitworth, LG Rodger Saffold, C John Sullivan, RG Rob Havenstein and RT Jamon Brown (whether they remain lined up like this or not is another question). In addition to these five, the Rams are very high on undrafted free agent rookie Jake Eldrenkamp (roster preview), put in a waiver claim on Austin Blythe (roster preview), and have leaned on the more versatile G-T man in Andrew Donnal (roster preview) who started at guard ahead of him in the last few games of 2016.

Wichmann is likely facing a somewhat uphill battle, but he’s overcome the odds before so let’s see how things shake out in camp.

Expectations
Wichmann won’t have any expectations of being the starter in 2017. Barring injury or something unseen, Wichmann isn’t expected to play but be a solid backup lineman when necessary.

While his main competitor, Brown, dealt with injury and the confines of former Head Coach Jeff Fisher’s doghouse, it seems that the new staff views Brown clearly ahead of Wichmann as he is slated to be a starter.

Chances of Making Final Roster (5/10)
Wichmann is the ultimate consistent player. He’s not going to wow you or overpower anyone but he’ll be in good position and not get beat on silly mistakes. While injuries played a huge role for Wichmann starting 18 games over his first two seasons, it’s probably best if he can carve a niche as a true backup in EMERGENCY rather than necessity.

He’s a tough technician and always plays the right way so I hope he can stick but the Rams are not likely to carry 10 offensive linemen like they did in 2015 and 2016.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Looks like a good signing,I am not a fan of Daniel Ross.I predict he will be the first to get cut.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
i will sleep better now. This really rounds out the PS with loads of talent.

jjktkk

Reaction score
On Thursday, before the final practice of the long spring, Eagles head coach Doug Pederson was asked if there were any players lower on the depth chart who have stood out over the last few weeks.

Pederson started by mentioning some players who came into the league last year. Eventually, he named six guys.

Let’s take a look at each of them.

Aziz ****tu
Probably a name you haven’t heard in a while, but ****tu has stood out as much as any defensive tackle can in non-padded practices.

****tu came to the Eagles as an undrafted free agent from Stanford in 2016. But thanks to that stupid college graduation rule he missed all those spring practices. That allowed another undrafted rookie (Destiny Vaeao) to get in front of him and ****tu never recovered. He was brought back to the practice squad in 2016 and then signed a futures contract before last season, but then suffered a knee injury in May and was placed on IR.

It appears he’s healthy now and is showing some of that burst that made him intriguing to the Eagles in the first place.
I like the fact that the Cowboys poached Shittu from Philly.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I like the fact that the Cowboys poached ****tu from Philly.

Technically, they did not. Philly had let him go and did not choose him for his practice squad.