Signed by Cowboys Cowboys add RB Ronnie Hillman for depth, not as Elliott insurance

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys add RB Ronnie Hillman for depth, not as Elliott insurance

The Dallas Cowboys signed running back Ronnie Hillman to bolster their depth at the position. Hillman was one of two running backs they worked out last week, including Denard Robinson.

“Jahad has been out the whole time,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He came into training camp, we thought he was going to be healthy, he wasn’t able to get through that first practice. We just need a guy to come in and compete and run with the different groups we have out in practice, and certainly when we get into the preseason games. Hillman is a guy who has had some success in this league. He had a good workout with us last week and we’re excited to bring him here.”

Both Garrett and owner Jerry Jones said the Cowboys did not sign Hillman because they feared a suspension for Elliott, who continues to wait on the result of a year-long investigation from the NFL.

It’s more of what Hillman is as a scatback and third-down back in the mold of Dunbar.

“No, it has nothing to do with Elliott,” Jones said. “We wanted to have that style running back in the mix. Jahad has a bad hamstring. We replaced him with Hillman.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article164097782.html

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think the team would like to trade Morris in hopes of getting someone a bit more useful in the exchange. In addition to serving as a RB, perhaps Hillman might come in handy as a receiver and on special teams, whereas Morris wouldn't.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think they had plans for Jahad before he was injured and started missing what's likely to be enough time to endanger his being allotted a roster spot. Hillman should have enough time at camp and the needed experience to learn the system well enough to end up being useful. I wouldn't be surprised if Morris ends up being traded, assuming the FO finds a team willing to accommodate them. During the draft, it's been said by many that they tried to work a trade for him but to no avail. It should be interesting to see what occurs, if anything.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think they had plans for Jahad before he was injured and started missing what's likely to be enough time to endanger his being allotted a roster spot. Hillman should have enough time at camp and the needed experience to learn the system well enough to end up being useful. I wouldn't be surprised if Morris ends up being traded, assuming the FO finds a team willing to accommodate them. During the draft, it's been said they tried to no avail.

I don't think it will take much time at all for Hillman. Most of it will be terminology that he will need to learn. The plays from a RB perspective will not be much different.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
oh well, i dont think anything will come of it. but Garrett can be truthful. This is like signing Morris, and still drafting 2 RBs, 1 in the first round. Made no sense, yet this signing makes way more sense. They are scared and rightly so. EE can screw up today or tomorrow as well, its going to play out. Nothing to do but protect ourselves today and for the future until EE proves it to the team. If he cant, well it was nice having the best RB in the league again, but if its not going to work out, cant dwell on it either. A very slim chance it was a wasted pick, but reality is going to show, no still a good pick.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The Cowboys front office has my head spinning. A little over a week ago it was all over Cowboys Nation on how they weren't interested in Hillman at all. Then releasing Whitehead on here say. A week later, they acquire Hillman. Why?!

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I think the team would like to trade Morris in hopes of getting someone a bit more useful in the exchange. In addition to serving as a RB, perhaps Hillman might come in handy as a receiver and on special teams, whereas Morris wouldn't.

I like your thinking sir.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The Cowboys front office has my head spinning. A little over a week ago it was all over Cowboys Nation on how they weren't interested in Hillman at all. Then releasing Whitehead on here say. A week later, they acquire Hillman. Why?!
Poker face

Morris is a 2 down back...... Hillman can help in the passing game

Plus the rookies like Jahad and Switzer get hurt and are just rookies

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Poker face

Morris is a 2 down back...... Hillman can help in the passing game

Plus the rookies like Jahad and Switzer get hurt and are just rookies

id rather just roll with the rookies, i dont think this is the year Dallas does anything that signing 1 player is going to make the difference.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Perhaps because they got a roster spot open maybe?

They worked him out, but I don't recall them saying they didn't want him at all.