Cowboys Adjusting at halftime...

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
dmq said:
Maybe on paper it doesn't look like a shredding, but it sure looked like one on the field. Lets not sugar coat this. We got no pressure on the qb and he threw at will against our DBs(who were supposed to be the strength of our team). And for those who hate TO, guess what? If it weren't for him our team would really look like an 8-8 team to me right now.

:hammer:

our Defense, especially our secondary was supposed to be the strongpoint of the team. It did not look like it in the second half.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
DipChit said:
I imagine the best adjustment that could've been made in that particular game was someone yelling to Drew.. "Hey Drew dont throw any(more) INT's and make better reads!!" same with some dumb penalties by other guys. "Stop doing that!!!"

I'm pretty sure TO said that to him at some point :laugh1:

boysfanindc

Reaction score
dmq said:
Maybe on paper it doesn't look like a shredding, but it sure looked like one on the field. Lets not sugar coat this. We got no pressure on the qb and he threw at will against our DBs(who were supposed to be the strength of our team). And for those who hate TO, guess what? If it weren't for him our team would really look like an 8-8 team to me right now.

We lost to a 12-4 team of one year ago at their place, with our QB throwing 3 INT's, missing wide open WR's for potential TD's, offensive penalties and kickers costing us points and we are blaming the defense for being shredded for giving up 300 yards total offense.

How many teams in this league win when giving up 3 INT’s on the road? Did the D play great? No, but they are not the reason we lost, nor where they shreeded.

And after one week we are saying we are a 8-8 team without T.O.? OK :rolleyes:

ddh33

Reaction score
I may be in the minority, but "adjustments" aren't as big a deal as most people make it out to be. Usually, it just comes down to playing good football and executing your gameplan.

On Sunday, Dallas didn't execute. That's the bottom line. For what it's worth, I didn't see Jacksonville adjust a ton either. Their stuff started working better because they started playing sharper.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
boysfanindc said:
And after one week we are saying we are a 8-8 team without T.O.? OK :rolleyes:

Yes,
It looks like we are gonna have to keep our TEs in for blocking again this year. Glenn would be double teamed and we don't seem to have much of a running game. TO is that kind of difference maker.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
braw said:
Then what you are saying is that in order to win we have to play a perfect game. The best teams win inspite of their mistakes because just look at Bettis wearing a SB ring after a big mistake.

Great teams over come mistakes because they adjust well. Patriots are a good example of that. They create mismatches at cruciel situations hence they win alot. To win a game with a late safety has to be one for the books.

No I'm saying that teams who make a lot of mistakes don't win games and continue to make mistakes do not win. Pats will have mistake all teams do but they don't keep making mistakes through out the game. I agree teams make adjustment we make adjustment but adjustment will not over come penalties that continue to kill drives or turn overs. I don't care what play you design or what adjustment you make it still comes down to players executing

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
I may be in the minority, but "adjustments" aren't as big a deal as most people make it out to be. Usually, it just comes down to playing good football and executing your gameplan.

On Sunday, Dallas didn't execute. That's the bottom line. For what it's worth, I didn't see Jacksonville adjust a ton either. Their stuff started working better because they started playing sharper.

I agree. The Greatest plans in the world will not work if not executed.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Execution is the most important thing out there, but you have to put your team in the position to execute properly, or even give the team an advantage.

For all of the talk of "execution is everything" then technically there would be no need to send players in motion, no reason to make audibles, no reason to make line adjustments, etc.

Furthermore by living by the "execution is everything" mantra, one could then reason that if it's 4th and 4, any team should be able to split 4 WR's and run a QB sneak against 10 players stacked in the box and get the first down if the execution is good. And it would be perfectly logical to line up a 250 linebacker up against Owens on a deep fade route.

It's like the one 2nd and short play where we ran the ball and Mathis stuffed it. We had run on 2nd down five times in a row and Mathis knew that we were going to run it again. Thus, he darted full bore towards the ball carrier and there was no way Glenn or any WR in the league was going to pick him up. In that instance, the predictability of the playcall made it extremely difficult for us to execute properly, unless Julius somehow eluded Mathis or if he breaks the tackle.

YAKUZA

braw

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Execution is the most important thing out there, but you have to put your team in the position to execute properly, or even give the team an advantage.

For all of the talk of "execution is everything" then technically there would be no need to send players in motion, no reason to make audibles, no reason to make line adjustments, etc.

Furthermore by living by the "execution is everything" mantra, one could then reason that if it's 4th and 4, any team should be able to split 4 WR's and run a QB sneak against 10 players stacked in the box and get the first down if the execution is good. And it would be perfectly logical to line up a 250 linebacker up against Owens on a deep fade route.

It's like the one 2nd and short play where we ran the ball and Mathis stuffed it. We had run on 2nd down five times in a row and Mathis knew that we were going to run it again. Thus, he darted full bore towards the ball carrier and there was no way Glenn or any WR in the league was going to pick him up. In that instance, the predictability of the playcall made it extremely difficult for us to execute properly, unless Julius somehow eluded Mathis or if he breaks the tackle.

YAKUZA

:hammer:

Amen

DipChit

Reaction score
braw said:
Then what you are saying is that in order to win we have to play a perfect game. The best teams win inspite of their mistakes because just look at Bettis wearing a SB ring after a big mistake.

Great teams over come mistakes because they adjust well..

Well I dont know about Dooms, but yeah, I would say we pretty much have to play a "perfect" game to beat a solid team on the road. Or hope the other team just shoots themselves in the foot.

We're not a great team. Just because we have far more talent as a whole compared to 5 years ago doesnt make us one.

The o-line for example is a huge question mark. Each and every guy on it has questions. And it not like it's just do to the age of a unit that has otherwise been playing together for awhile.

Yeah I suppose in an either/or scenario it might be better to have a questionable o-line that you hope comes together as opposed to a bunch of crappy skill players who no matter what arent any good.

Since we have the former and not the latter.. even last year, is why we can go out and hang 30+ from time to time even though we'll be held in the teens other times. At least thats better than knowing it's cause for a parade anytime you can even break 17 as was the case for so long. ;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

YAKUZA

During our SB run everyone and their brother knew what was going to happen and there was nothing teams could do to stop it, there was nothing shocking about the play call week in and week out people knew Smith was going to see the ball 25 to 30 times a game and when we got around the goal line Smith was the 1st option and it did not matter because that team would execute. I'm not saying adjustment should not be made what I'm saying even with adjustment if the play is not executed it will fail. I don't care what plays you it is still up to the players to go and and execute the play and what I saw in last sundays game was a lot of mistakes.

Basileus777

Reaction score
ddh33 said:

Thats the whole point of adjustments. You can have the greatest gameplan in the world, but if its not working, you need to be able to change that plan and adjust accordingly. If the gameplan is faulty, it doesn't matter how well you execute it.

ddh33

Reaction score
Basileus777 said:
Thats the whole point of adjustments. You can have the greatest gameplan in the world, but if its not working, you need to be able to change that plan and adjust accordingly. If the gameplan is faulty, it doesn't matter how well you execute it.

I'll concede that. In fact, I agree completely.

Did you think the gameplan was faulty though, or did you think Dallas just didn't execute?

Personally, I thought Dallas lost that game because they did a poor job of doing what they needed to.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
landryscorner said:
I wasn't here last year, I only saw a few games and highlights but i had a question for you guys....I didn't see the Cowboys adjust much to what the Jags were doing on offense on Sunday, is that just Mike Zimmer wanting to stick with his...like for example those huge cushions we were giving the receivers....I thought they talked in the pre season about jamming the receivers and man to man because we have the talent..what gives???

I can't tell you the last time I saw us make adjustments at halftime.
They adjusted at half time. Just in the wrong way!:)