Signed by Cowboys Cowboys agree to terms with Jason Peters

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why do people care about his contract value? He’s a bandaid that won’t be in Dallas past this year (you should hope)

Actually, depending on how he plays, I wouldn't mind having him as a vet backup. Tyron needs to retire because his body is breaking down. We'll see on Peters. Until we see good development from Waletzko and Ball, we need a good qualified backup. When (if) one of them show they can handle it, then we can move on.

Of course, what I would like to see is Waletzko become the next LT and Tyler Smith the long-term LG because we'd be set at those spots for a few years.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Actually, depending on how he plays, I wouldn't mind having him as a vet backup. Tyron needs to retire because his body is breaking down. We'll see on Peters. Until we see good development from Waletzko and Ball, we need a good qualified backup. When (if) one of them show they can handle it, then we can move on.

Of course, what I would like to see is Waletzko become the next LT and Tyler Smith the long-term LG because we'd be set at those spots for a few years.

Any team that keeps a 40+ year old as a vet oline backup is not doing a very good job at building a quality roster

gimmesix

Reaction score
Any team that keeps a 40+ year old as a vet oline backup is not doing a very good job at building a quality roster

Don't necessarily agree. Players with experience as backups can be quite useful. The hope is obviously that you find young guys who can handle the role, but that's no guarantee. Right now, if you asked whether we should have 40-year-old Jason Peters as an OT backup or Ball, I think the clear answer is Ball. That might not be the case next year, but let's wait and see.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
But the plan was never to have Tyler Smith play LT this year
The plan changed when Tyron went down... they never planned for that to happen before week 1 either. They have admitted they drafted Tyler Smith to be Tryon's replacement at LT... they just didn't have a crystal ball to tell them that would need to happen before week 1.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The plan changed when Tyron went down... they never planned for that to happen before week 1 either. They have admitted they drafted Tyler Smith to be Tryon's replacement at LT... they just didn't have a crystal ball to tell them that would need to happen before week 1.
They had to know at some point this year Tyron would miss time. Tyler is probly getting practice during closed door practices..

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
They had to know at some point this year Tyron would miss time. Tyler is probly getting practice during closed door practices..
If they have been smart enough to give Tyler Smith LT practice time behind closed doors before Tyron went down, I'd be very surprised, but love it.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Jason Peters' official contract is a maximum Practice Squad salary of $19,900 per week for 18 weeks = $358,200.

This will change when Peters is elevated to the team, so we won't know the terms of his actual deal with the Cowboys until he gets promoted from the Practice Squad. Neither the league, nor the Cowboys are likely to expose the numbers of the Peters' contract until that time.

Thank You.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Matt Waletzko is the victim of an injured shoulder and Josh Ball hasn't even proven nearly close to starting material.

At present, Jason Peters was probably a good signing who should handle the job better than either of those rookies.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Don't necessarily agree. Players with experience as backups can be quite useful. The hope is obviously that you find young guys who can handle the role, but that's no guarantee. Right now, if you asked whether we should have 40-year-old Jason Peters as an OT backup or Ball, I think the clear answer is Ball. That might not be the case next year, but let's wait and see.

Whoops. The clear answer is Peters, not Ball. Ball is only the clear answer if the question is who should stay on the bench no matter what.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Whoops. The clear answer is Peters, not Ball. Ball is only the clear answer if the question is who should stay on the bench no matter what.
I thought you meant Peters should start, and Ball should be the backup.