Cowboys and No Cap

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Hmm, somehow the CBA not being extended doesn't make me anymore confident as a Cowboys fan. I know I know, Jerry will spend whatever it takes to get this team a trophy. But, it will now take players 6 years to reach free agency, and as you guys said, teams will better be able to keep their guys. So how does the amount of money Jerry is going to spend have to do with how good of a team we are going to be, if the way we will be primarily building our team is through the draft?

And I don't know about you guys, but save last years draft I don't feel too confident yet with our drafting ability.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
People that think we'll become the Yankees of the NFL are sadly mistaken.

The NFL probably has 8 other teams that can compete with Snyder and Jones. These teams are less valuable than Snyder and Jones, but have far richer owners.

This is unlike MLB where there's really about 3 or 4 teams that can compete money-wise with Steinbrenner.

Even still, the draft and developing the talent is more important. Even the Yankees were at their best because of the talent they built through their farm system (Rivera, Pettite, Jeter, Posada, Williams, etc). And when you think about it, while Jerry spent a ton in the 90's, most of the talent was drafted and home grown as well.

Rich...........

Reaction score
I guess the idea is since we are a big market franchise, Jerry will spend a lot of money keeping our good players and also spend a lot of money prying away good players from other teams.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
TheEnigma said:
Hmm, somehow the CBA not being extended doesn't make me anymore confident as a Cowboys fan. I know I know, Jerry will spend whatever it takes to get this team a trophy. But, it will now take players 6 years to reach free agency, and as you guys said, teams will better be able to keep their guys. So how does the amount of money Jerry is going to spend have to do with how good of a team we are going to be, if the way we will be primarily building our team is through the draft?

And I don't know about you guys, but save last years draft I don't feel too confident yet with our drafting ability.

Simple, do it like we did in the 90's. Build in the draft and outbid for the few key pieces in FA.

Teams would have to be much more wiser with their draft picks with no cap.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends said:
Simple, do it like we did in the 90's. Build in the draft and outbid for the few key pieces in FA.

I just don't know if I'll feel confident that WE will be much wiser with draft picks.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends said:

umm. isn't that the plan for most teams always?

ravidubey

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
People that think we'll become the Yankees of the NFL are sadly mistaken.

I think this is true but in the end there will be haves and have-nots and the Dallas Cowboys will not be a have-not.

Paul Allen can spend almost any amount of money to put the Seahawks over the top, but it's the teams with great stadiums, markets, and winning traditions that will be able to both bid for free agents and also turn a profit.

There might be one or two teams that don't care about making money, but I can't think of them right now...

This will be an unmitiated disaster for teams like Green Bay and Pittsburgh who will instantly be relegated to minor league farm team status. Oh well, sucks to be them-- thanks Gene for ruining my favorite sport.

neosapien23

Reaction score
If there truly was an uncapped year, we should cut Marco Rivera so his signing bonus hit us all at once and lock down all our young players with large roster bonuses that hit in the uncapped year. If the CBA gets done later, everyone will be locked down and the Cowboys will be in great cap shape.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
This will be an unmitiated disaster for teams like Green Bay and Pittsburgh who will instantly be relegated to minor league farm team status. Oh well, sucks to be them-- thanks Gene for ruining my favorite sport.

It's greedy low class owners like Bill Bidwell and Tom Benson that give the rest of the small market owners a bad name.

The Jags have been in the league for 11 years and have compiled a 94-82 record during that time, including a trip to the AFC Championship game. Not to say that owner Wayne Weaver is flawless by any means, but generally he's done a very good with owning the team. Right now the Jags can't sellout games because they lack tradition that comes with being a young franchise. It also doesn't help that the Jags are playing in a college football town.

I still think that one way or another, the cap will stay around when all is said and done.

Rich.............