Cowboys and Short-Yardage Backs

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Zeke's 2022 TD's by yardage

As his career nears the end...the dude could still fall forward. Props for that.
Those are the TD short yardage yet Cowboys were able to convert a lot of 3rd downs off of Zeke. Again I find it pretty disgusting how message board people slam guys yet could only dream of doing what they do. Again I think Cowboys made the right choice in moving on from Zeke but I see no need to dump on him.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Don’t disagree with Shanahan’s wording about “finding creases”. Also believe it’s dismissive to hang your hat on height/weight measurables to determine a players potential to be an effective short yardage back.

If you’ve spent time with gym rat meat-heads, you’d know that the dude you can’t knock off balance is the guy with the lower center of gravity that squats 500+. They also have the advantage in terms of short space agility which helps locate creases and accelerate through them.

Lots of mention of Bettis, probably do to his physical presence but the guy operated with footwork similar to that of a lightweight boxer. Extremely rare for a dude of his girth.

I do believe Zeke had a knack of locating creases and just eking-out enough yardage on many occasions. I will side with those that say it wasn’t necessarily punishing runs, though. As his physical skills eroded, he had to play with more intelligence. To those the say Zeke apologists (I’m not) hang their hat on his blocking, you do realize it is a passing league, right? Pollard just may get Tat-leg killed, or you’re going to see a lot of Ronald Jones on 3rd downs.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yes we are aware of your narrative that Kellen Moore conspired to keep Zeke from all-pro production
NOT conspired but nice try at sarcasm but for sure was clueless in how to use a run game schemes, designs, and when and what to call . yes he wasn't very good at it..got fired over it