Cowboys appear to be following my plan

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Step 1 was cutting DeMarcus Ware
Step 2 was not resigning Hatcher or Spencer
Step 3 would be signing Melton (which is the cornerstone of my plan). I have to admit, I'm a bit worried that we haven't signed him yet. I was hoping we could get a deal because of his knee. But I'm sure if he is giving any deals for his knee he still wants more guaranteed money for the second year, and higher future base pays.

You sign Melton and you're already 25% towards having a new starting defensive line.

If you slot in Selvie as your starter for just this year, you're 50% towards your line for the year.

You draft at least two rookies in the draft within the first three or four rounds and you come out with at least one starter, now you're 75% of the way there. Should be very exciting to get rookie rushmen here. We've rebuilt this offensive line mostly through the draft (I don't think we're done yet), and we'll mostly try to create this defensive line through the draft.

If you don't think we can find a veteran post June who can fit either the end or the tackle positions, you're kidding yourself. There are players every year like this. Who are considerably cheaper, than overpaying for a tier 2 player like we did with Carr and giving them tier 1 money. So look for a signing similar to the Waters signing.

Then you have guys like Crawford and Ben Bass, especially Bass who they are high on. Hatcher said last year that Bass was going to replace him.

I think we'll have a better defensive line next year, and a much better defensive line in 2015, but getting away from these overpriced, overaged, underperforming veterans was necessary. But this is why you don't go after guys like Jared Allen or Julius Peppers either. That would defeat the purpose.

If you look at our 2016 salary cap you begin to understand this strategy. Outside of signing Carr the Cowboys have been doing a great job of not pushing more money towards the future than necessary.

There is a caveat to this. I think the Cowboys might sign Spencer near the vet minimum if he is healthy enough. 1 year type deal, maybe with a 2nd year loaded in if they decide to keep him.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Step 3 would be signing Melton (which is the cornerstone of my plan). I have to admit, I'm a bit worried that we haven't signed him yet. I was hoping we could get a deal because of his knee. But I'm sure if he is giving any deals for his knee he still wants more guaranteed money for the second year, and higher future base pays.

You sign Melton and you're already 25% towards having a new starting defensive line.

If you slot in Selvie as your starter for just this year, you're 50% towards your line for the year.

You draft at least two rookies in the draft within the first three or four rounds and you come out with at least one starter, now you're 75% of the way there. Should be very exciting to get rookie rushmen here. We've rebuilt this offensive line mostly through the draft (I don't think we're done yet), and we'll mostly try to create this defensive line through the draft.

If you don't think we can find a veteran post June who can fit either the end or the tackle positions, you're kidding yourself. There are players every year like this. Who are considerably cheaper, than overpaying for a tier 2 player like we did with Carr and giving them tier 1 money. So look for a signing similar to the Waters signing.

Then you have guys like Crawford and Ben Bass, especially Bass who they are high on. Hatcher said last year that Bass was going to replace him.

I think we'll have a better defensive line next year, and a much better defensive line in 2015, but getting away from these overpriced, overaged, underperforming veterans was necessary. But this is why you don't go after guys like Jared Allen or Julius Peppers either. That would defeat the purpose.

If you look at our 2016 salary cap you begin to understand this strategy. Outside of signing Carr the Cowboys have been doing a great job of not pushing more money towards the future than necessary.

There is a caveat to this. I think the Cowboys might sign Spencer near the vet minimum if he is healthy enough. 1 year type deal, maybe with a 2nd year loaded in if they decide to keep him.

The key is going to be the draft. Need to score big there for the Cowboys to have any chance in 2014.

SacramentoKing

Nunez21
Reaction score
I think someone mentioned cutting Witten, Carr, and Free next year can get us huge cap space next year. Guess we are finally are rebuilding! FINALLY

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

So GB, if this falls apart, you realize the entire board will hold you responsible. But then how in the world can you do worse than ole Jerr?

ferrispata

Reaction score
I agree with you on a small/cheaper contract for Spencer. If he can come back healthy, he will be a surprise for us that we were not anticipating. Just don't overpay.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think someone mentioned cutting Witten, Carr, and Free next year can get us huge cap space next year. Guess we are finally are rebuilding! FINALLY

I'm not certain that you cut Witten next year, definitely Free though. Carr really depends on what we do with his contract and how he plays.

I think the 2015 draft will focus on defense as well, though we'll have to get an offensive tackle somewhere there.

I wouldn't be surprised if we find a Tackle who can play Guard in this draft in the first three rounds.

I think we'll end up drafting a cornerback early in 2015, and probably a midrounder in 2014.

My draft plan is essentially

1. DE
2. DT
3. OG/OT
4. CB
5. DE
7. WR
7. WR

I think you have to take 2 dlinmen within the first 3 picks, maybe even 3 within the first 4, but I definitely think you need to take a cornerback as early as possible too. Someone who fits the system better than what we have now.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
So GB, if this falls apart, you realize the entire board will hold you responsible. But then how in the world can you do worse than ole Jerr?

Plan is entirely predicated on signing Henry Melton. You don't sign Melton and you basically have to trade up to get Donald, which weakens the overall draft.

I think you have to pay at least one of the guys on the line, and I think he is a valuable piece to start out with.

I think we could get away with

Rookie DE - Melton - Bass - Selvie/Spencer

for a year as long as you have crawford, rookie dt, rookie de, and whatever else marinelli can work up. You still have the ability to sign a defensive tackle in free agency after June.

Then next year you fill in the holes.

OhSnap

Reaction score

This is the 3rd year of the same strategy with the exception of Carr. It's a process.(not sarcasm) The team is getting younger and cheaper.

visionary

Reaction score
Hmmm.....

In other news, jerry jones announced that after failing miserably with the "Larry lacewell Plan" for the last 17 years, he has moved on to something known only as the "Galian Beast Plan". Galian Beast remains a shadowy internet based character on some cowboy message boards......

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

not sold on selvie. he was part of the problem and the bad defense last year. his 5 or 6 sacks aside. he is nothing but a back up and rotation guy....who ended up playing starter role.

I wouldn't mind signing Hatcher. that's 50% of your starting line if melton is signed. I would then still draft Donald if he is there.

FiveRings

Reaction score
I'm in favor of keeping at least one of Spencer or Hatcher. Hatcher is the better player, but also will be coming at a steeper price, you give up a bit with Spencer but I think you can get him on the really cheap side, so I probably err to the side of keeping Spencer.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I hope all of this works. Looks to me like they're running around without a true clue. If you watch things closely enough, you start to notice trends. And finally this year, the trend I've noticed is a trend of confusion and not real direction. Just cutting guys and plugging them with the same types. Nothing new I've seen over the past 3 or 4 years.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Plan is entirely predicated on signing Henry Melton. You don't sign Melton and you basically have to trade up to get Donald, which weakens the overall draft.

I think you have to pay at least one of the guys on the line, and I think he is a valuable piece to start out with.

I think we could get away with

Rookie DE - Melton - Bass - Selvie/Spencer

for a year as long as you have crawford, rookie dt, rookie de, and whatever else marinelli can work up. You still have the ability to sign a defensive tackle in free agency after June.

Then next year you fill in the holes.

At least you have a plan. My understanding is Jerry used to wander the halls, randomly discovering the restroom until Stephen had one built next to Jerr's office.

I go with the man with the plan every time.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
My draft plan is essentially

1. DE
2. DT
3. OG/OT
4. CB
5. DE
7. WR
7. WR

I think you have to take 2 dlinmen within the first 3 picks, maybe even 3 within the first 4, but I definitely think you need to take a cornerback as early as possible too. Someone who fits the system better than what we have now.

I agree with the general idea (skill positions late, big uglies early and often) but I wouldn't get any more definite than that.

theSHOW

Reaction score

Got to give you credit. We love your plan