Cowboys Are One of 15 Teams to Meet with Kenneth Murray

Sydla

Reaction score
He is a run and chase LB. To put him in any other position is setting him up to fail. Also he should not be calling the defense. That was another issue.

Did I miss a story on his failures in calling the defense? I am honestly asking a question, no snark.

ondaedg

Reaction score
the hope is new LB coaches, new directions, new plans and new scheme-devise ways can get Jaylon going in the best ways he knows best.

Jaylon can be an explosive hitter in pursuit and head on when he can build running momentum, and he has the physicality to jar and strip the balls loose from ball carriers.
The shed block theory is not coming from a lack of effort but maybe more a lack of instincts.

He tend to guesses gaps wrong, too easily fooled by misdirection and gets caught up in traffic, or caught a step late to the action.
He’s more straight line that doesn’t have top change of direction and knack for coverage that could serve him in coverage.
I don’t think I particularly like a supposed Captain responsible for calling the signals having this many minuses that you have to keep overcompensating for him.

So a big key will be someone like LB coach George Edwards creating ways where his read keys are kept simple, and he doesn’t have to overthink vs run or pass.
Edwards should also be able to devise the best coverage scheme for him, rather than having him cover a WR one on one on all three downs (ala Chicago game beaten for a TD)

Frankly the coaching staff and riff among LB Ben Bloom and DC assistant Kris Richard was quite a mutiny mess, coaches bickering among each other, players revolting against coaches, not disciplined or following out assignments, free lancing, etc. That’s a major problem itself.
The gap scheme and ever revolving door at 1 tech, didn’t help matters with the LBs also.
Also we flat did not have the proper support cast up front to better help him keep big body blockers off of him. .

His blitzing ability should be better exploited –blocking backs should not be able to handle his explosive rush, and it will help if the new coaches knowing what blitzing angles, matchups and packages work out best for Jay-Swipe.

Great take on him and I agree 100% I can't say how many times against the Vikes where the ball carrier is already about to make their first cut and he is still in his original position or had slid to the wrong side and now is out of position and has to chase.

And the gap scheme was a disaster where guys like Collins would shoot the outside gap taking out the DE and leaving a center and a guard to get to the next level untouched where Jaylon would just try to run around the blocker to get to the rb. He is going to have to completely relearn the MLB position or else they need to reconsider how he's used.

J817

Reaction score
In texas? That's "local".

I mean I guess. It’s not Von Miller / Myles Garrett local I mean. I doubt him being from the state was motivation for visiting with him anyway. Or maybe it was idk.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean I guess. It’s not Von Miller / Myles Garrett local I mean. I doubt him being from the state was motivation for visiting with him anyway. Or maybe it was idk.
It's freakin Texas! I once saw a documentary where some feller drove a thousand miles for a beer.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Yep LB is a bigger need than people think. Literally every level of the defense.
Let's see..

Wolf Hunter injured but recovering

Lee is a FA and not sure to return

Other backups FAs and not starter ready

Yeah..

It's a priority.

Update at 6.

Stay tuned. More to follow after the commecial.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I hope not...after giving Jaylon a new contract and drafting LVE just 2 years ago. Even if LVE's health is a concern, you gotta sit this one out and use the high picks on other positions of need instead of LB again.

Go find another Anthony Hitchens or Damien Wilson in the later rounds

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably just doing their due diligence here, but could this be a potential contingency plan for LVE? The Cowboys rarely draft players they haven’t met with before the draft and all.

Will McClay likes to be prepared even with players that have a fairly low probability of being drafted by the Cowboys.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just read a tweet couple days ago that the Cowboys really like this kid. Of course, it's way too early and anyone could say that but he could very well be plan B if Henderson is gone but just my guess. Imagine .......Murray, LVE and Jaylon Smith
If a players turns out to be great, nobody ever regrets the pick regardless of who else is on the roster.