CFZ Cowboys at a crossroads for playoff momentum

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I was firmly on Dak's side until he held the team hostage for top QB play. Hey, you want to insist on being paid top 5, then play like it. He put himself in this position. Guess he's happy counting his money.
Most new QB contracts are top 5 in nature. Dak has lead the NFL's #1 scoring offense the last 3 years when he is the QB. Thats all he can do overall as a QB. When Dak is healthy we pretty much make the playoffs. The team has never had a losing season when he is the QB the entire year. He wins games and plays well in most big games. Hes a great team leader on and off the field. Only thing you can say about the guy is that he isnt elite. So what? So there are 5 or 6 QB's on the planet better than Dak. Boohoo.

If Jerry could do his job correctly Cowboys would be a yearly contender from Romo through Dak. Instead we cant even make the championship game because he sucks at his job.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don’t think Dak regresses but unfortunately I think we have seen the best of him. Is that good enough to win the Super Bowl? You tell me………….
His break downs for target selections can be refined with top end film and consistent practice through training camp can change even more in his delivery process. He still seems slow and naive in selections, but that is still trainable...if he is held to standards,

CCBoy

Reaction score
"Easy" isn't an easily defined term, but for sure having nearly 40% of the teams in the league in the playoffs means you don't have to be that good to make the playoffs. "Making the playoffs" doesn't mean nearly what it did years ago.

And yes, I AM "spoiled" by the success other Cowboys teams had in years past.

You might also take note of the stat that Dallas is one of what, 3 (or 4, I forget how many, but it's a small number) of teams in the NFC that hasn't been to the NFC Championship game since the 1995 season? And 5-11 in the playoffs since 1995, that's mediocre, at best.

To paraphrase Herm Edwards, "you play to win the trophy". Less than that doesn't satisfy. If you are, no problem, to each his own, but we certainly don't agree....
To me, if one isn't proud of good play, then he isn't a true fan of the sport or his chosen team. Of course one plays to win it all...that's football. Don't throw out earned respect because of everything not being the very best. Why is it that there is no repeat NFC East for two consecutive seasons now? You now saying that Dallas is insignificant and the Eagles will?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Winning is the only way to change that narrative. Being “semi-close” should never be “good enough”. Which is why I think NOW is the time for the FO to push the chips ”all in”. The NFC is wide open. To not take risks to get better is just bad management of the cap and this roster.

It’s time to go for it.
Keep the team strengths continuing to grow stronger...!

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I was firmly on Dak's side until he held the team hostage for top QB play. Hey, you want to insist on being paid top 5, then play like it. He put himself in this position. Guess he's happy counting his money.
But he's not top 5 in pay, He's T 7 with two other guys. You interested in actual Facts or are you just stuck in a narrative ?

As far as counting his money goes, can't speak to that I was taught not to covet

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You now saying that Dallas is insignificant and the Eagles will?
First of all, reverting to the extremes doesn't match the teams, few teams are "insignificant" in the NFL, just refer to my post where I spoke of how few NFC teams haven't made it to at least the conference championship game in the last 26-27 years, can't be "insignificant" if you get that far. And the Eagles are certainly not guaranteed another trip to the Super Bowl this year, or to win it this year, no team is.

And of course, I appreciate good play, no team wins the championship every year, there will be bad play and good play for every team every year.

But maybe you didn't understand my post, to clarify it's that I am disappointed with the lack of championships in the nearly 3 decades since the last one, not that the team is terrible, etc. If someone is satisfied with just good years here and there, with no rings, I have said I'm glad for them.

But I want more than things like home field in the playoffs, then losing the first game. Or two 12-5 seasons in a row, or two playoff appearances in a row, or a playoff win every 5-6 years on the average. And I could go on, but you get my point.

And don't EVER question whether I'm a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, that's not for you or anybody else to judge. I've followed the Cowboys since 1968, can't not be a fan and do that, imo.

We're both Cowboys fans, just have different views of the team and different reactions to it, let's just appreciate that...

75boyz

Reaction score
First of all, reverting to the extremes doesn't match the teams, few teams are "insignificant" in the NFL, just refer to my post where I spoke of how few NFC teams haven't made it to at least the conference championship game in the last 26-27 years, can't be "insignificant" if you get that far. And the Eagles are certainly not guaranteed another trip to the Super Bowl this year, or to win it this year, no team is.

And of course, I appreciate good play, no team wins the championship every year, there will be bad play and good play for every team every year.

But maybe you didn't understand my post, to clarify it's that I am disappointed with the lack of championships in the nearly 3 decades since the last one, not that the team is terrible, etc. If someone is satisfied with just good years here and there, with no rings, I have said I'm glad for them.

But I want more than things like home field in the playoffs, then losing the first game. Or two 12-5 seasons in a row, or two playoff appearances in a row, or a playoff win every 5-6 years on the average. And I could go on, but you get my point.

And don't EVER question whether I'm a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, that's not for you or anybody else to judge. I've followed the Cowboys since 1968, can't not be a fan and do that, imo.

We're both Cowboys fans, just have different views of the team and different reactions to it, let's just appreciate that...
I can truly, truly relate.
Great post.

CCBoy

Reaction score

A historical bias that spans 20 years is really not a valid evaluation of a current team's dynamics...especially when based upon personal bias involved with making it to a NFC Chsmpionship or Super Bowl, only.

Plain and simply - current team status does not at all depend on a stereotyped picture not centered on current talent and team direction. Emotional description based upon a personal emotion is not a valid evaluatopn or a disapproval of analysis of current evaluations, and truly relevant elements to observe when points are based upon a 20 year emotional period of time.

Philadelphia will have an even stronger team roster this season. That doesn't mean they are unbeatable, because the Cowboys are a good team and this is football.

A historical cherry picked analysis does not change the football dynamics of this Dallas Cowboys team.

What Philadelphia and Dallas does this draft will have more to say about how they match up, than crying about personalized 'spilt milk' that boils down to ring tapping scorn.

Dallas has to become good at stopping short yardage and Red Zone opportunities. Keep opponents to under 20 points, and this offense should win the game.

No, except for crying in one;s beer at the pub, two 12-5 seasons back-to-back, is extremely relevant now, to an honest discussion.

Oh, agreed, if crying about a team's past...any team's, then just forget about the presently earned status.

This approach is almost always fallen back on name calling against Jerry Jones. That evolves more to a personal and emotional bias.

I don't agree as to prejudice of his involvement. The NFL started out for Jerry Jones with him being molded by San Francisco and then the Raider owners as to team management at that time in the NFL

Let's see who did what in Dallas from Jimmy Johnson thru Chan Gailey...

Johnson 1989 - 1993
3 Seasons in the playoffs and winning 2 Super Bowls in years four and five

Barry Switzer 1994 - 1997
3 Seasons in the playofffs and won 1 Super Bowl in four years being Head Coach

Chan Gailey 1998 - 1999
2 seasons in the playoffs

The first 11 seasons GM'ing, his Cowboys made it to the playoffs 8 seasons.

Bill Parcells was Head Coach for four seasons and made it to the playoffs twice.

Wade Phillips was Head Coach for four seasons and made it to the playoffs twice.

Jason Garrett was Head Coach for nine and a half seasons and made it to the playoffs three times.

McCarthy has been Head Coach for the past three seasons. He started with a team full of injuries and the pandemic starting out his first Cowboys season. His team has consecutive 12 win seaons and playoffs in three years if being Head Coach,

Now, looking at the past 9 seasons of Cowboys play:

2022 12-5 *
2021 12-5 *
2020 6-10
2019 8-8
2018 10-6 *
2017 9-7
2016 13-3 *
2015 4-12
2014 12-4 *

(* means s plsyoff season)

That is five of nine seasons that the Cowboys were in the playoffs.

Football at the NFL has changed quite a bit...but no, Jerry has consistently taken his franchise to respectable play and records. That is despite problems and changes in rosters.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
A historical cherry picked analysis does not change the football dynamics of this Dallas Cowboys team.
Cherry picked? 1968 to present is 55 years. And 20 years is hardly "cherry picked". Cherry picked is taking a very small portion of something and ignoring the vast majority of the numbers, that is NOT what I did.

You can quote numbers all you want, and records, but in doing so you are totally ignoring the main point of my post, in that I am missing championships. 12-win seasons and occasional playoff wins are nice, certainly better than 6 win seasons and no playoff wins, but it's not what I want from my Cowboys.

We certainly don't view the team the same way, and that's cool. Neither of us are the judge of the Cowboys, we just have our opinions, plainly ours differ.

Go Cowboys!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cherry picked? 1968 to present is 55 years. And 20 years is hardly "cherry picked". Cherry picked is taking a very small portion of something and ignoring the vast majority of the numbers, that is NOT what I did.

You can quote numbers all you want, and records, but in doing so you are totally ignoring the main point of my post, in that I am missing championships. 12-win seasons and occasional playoff wins are nice, certainly better than 6 win seasons and no playoff wins, but it's not what I want from my Cowboys.

We certainly don't view the team the same way, and that's cool. Neither of us are the judge of the Cowboys, we just have our opinions, plainly ours differ.

Go Cowboys!
Points of value are ignored to vent a personal stereotype and then value is being ignored as well as not discussed...point. There is nothing positive being added other than justifying one's own ring tapping.

The last NINE years have on the contrary, been very solid....and very relevant as to current observations. A discussion doesn't have to be paid for, to have value in perspective. Discuss or stay with biased excuses for a stance of relevancy,

Good night...as to using an abstract stereotype to not discuss relevant points, conveniently a number and for convenience, non-relevantly cherry picked and consistently ignored.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Points of value are ignored to vent a personal stereotype and then value is being ignored as well as not discussed...point. There is nothing positive being added other than justifying one's own ring tapping.

The last NINE years have on the contrary, been very solid....and very relevant as to current observations. A discussion doesn't have to be paid for, to have value in perspective. Discuss or stay with biased excuses for a stance of relevancy,

Good night...as to using an abstract stereotype to not discuss relevant points, conveniently a number and for convenience, non-relevantly cherry picked and consistently ignored.
Why do you keep pounding at this? WE DON'T AGREE.

Give it a rest.