Cowboys at Saints: Why the Cowboys Lost

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with @Future then. BS rule designed to protect the QB. I can imagine that as a DL, your instinct is still to sack the QB even when you've been pushed to the ground. You can get your hands on him, you gotta take him down.
And those are the instincts they're trying to eliminate. You can't grab at the QB below the knee. It's certainly a "rule designed to protect the QB", just like the chop-block rule is designed to protect linemen.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- yes when your defense holds a team without a single TD, and a mere 12 points- that should be a low enough point total that the offense should be able to put enough to win.
- yes turnovers just derailed our chances to win, I was already thinking if we just don't beat ourselves with killer turnovers and penalties, - let the Saints prove they can face up beat us.

but I do think there's more intangibles in that game than just the OL, poor run game and two turnovers.

..repeatin' earlier post:

1) I tend to really believe the high noise in Saints dome really panicked coaches and made them scale down offense- including no Tony Pollard running. at all. Why ?
was it Per worry of rookie Pollard's audible adjustment and blitz blocking ? But that still further took away another explosive weapon.

2) I think pre-snap motion was lessen (not eliminated) and more of silent count method that led to a more precautious appropach , and there was more an emphasis to keep Dak
to the pocket- passing and no chances at RPOs runs, bootlegs, or misdirection etc. Like Mickey Spags was saying on talkin cowboys show, everything looked frantic in the offense.

3) it was still puzzling as hell, how we didn't try to attempt to edge-run or sweep vs Saints run defense - it felt like Linehan reborn, in that we tried we'll try it just once ..and if it didn't work, screw it.

4) we simply did not have a formidable No.2 WR that could take advantage of CB Eli Apple a weak link in their secondary. Devin just isn't there yet and isn't developed/established enough
or that kind of duty. That's gonna change instantly once Gallup is set to return.

5) Although much of the blame is on the offense, there was only a couple of things I did not understand or agree to - If the Saints can assign Lattimore to shadow our best WR Cooper all game long,...
why couldn't we not do the same with our best coverage and pro bowl CB Byron Jones on their best WR Mike Thomas ? and Thomas was able to pitch and catch possession vs Awuzie that kept
chain moving for the dink dunk Saints.

6) although Kamara was held in check overall, stat wise, when it came down to key instances in stopping Saints and getting the ball back for more critical touches for the offense. We couldn't do it.
true enough we did not allow scoring points, but in the epitome of bend don't break, but we could not stop Kamara on key 3rd and short runs when it mattered -especially between the tackles.
,.. which help kept their clock-eating drives alive and shortened the game with that much more limited amount of time.
We had 9 drives, the same number of drives we had against the Giants, Commanders and Dolphins (okay, we had kneel-down drives and a 25-second drive before the half against Miami that I'm not counting). We scored on 2 of them instead of 5 like we did against those teams. We only needed to score on 3 to win. The Saints drives didn't cut down the number of drives we had. The fact that we couldn't move or hold on to the ball when we had it is what limited our drives.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The offensive lineman pushed Tank down. But all the refs saw was Tank hitting the QBs legs, which is a personal foul. I guess Tank was supposed to totally avoid hitting the QB at all from that position.

The problem I have with rules like these are flags aren't going to change behavior. Defensive backs aren't going to NOT hit a wide receiver that caught the ball, but yet the ref will flag them for hitting an unprotected WR. Same goes for defensive lineman. They are going for the QB no matter where they are. Flags aren't changing anything.
Watch the play. Tank lunges at his legs as he's going down.

Rules like these do change behavior, but it takes time. Chop blocks are rare where they used to be a staple of certain offenses **cough Niners cough Denver cough**. Spearing of defenseless receivers is much more rare.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Cowboys lost because of turnovers and Zeke rushing for 1.9 yards/carry.

The defense did their job and Kellen Moore's play calling didn't cause the fumbles.

Regardless of Play Calling, Zeke should average more than 1.9 yards/carry.

The run blocking scheme might be a problem.
- The run blocking scheme often requires reach blocks.
- Reach blocks are sometimes impossible due to the how defenders align pre-snap.
- There were multiple problems with reach blocks in this game.

Cowboys Defense

• 12 points allowed (defenses win 93% this season if 12 or less points allowed)
  • Kamara held below career and 2019 season averages for rushing and receiving.
  • Kamara 69 yards rushing, 20 yards receiving.
  • Defense had an INT.
  • Defense had 5 sacks.
  • The Rams started at NO 49 after a punt return.
  • The Rams started at NO 47 & DAL 44 after each Cowboys fumble.
Cowboys Offense
  • Zeke had 1.9 yard/carry rushing.
  • Offense lost 2 fumbles.
  • Dak 66.7% completion rate (66.6% career average)
  • Dak 10.13 yards/completion (11.3 career average)
  • Dak zero INTs prior to Hail Mary on final play.
Turnovers
There have been 63 games this season (Jets & Niners had a bye already).
Teams that had a negative turnover margin have won 17.5% of the 63 games.
Teams that had a -2 or worse turnover margin have won 10.2% of the 63 games.
The Cowboys had a -2 turnover margin in the Saints game (-1 without the Hail Mary INT).
Cowboys Offense -3, Cowboys Offense +1
The Cowboys turnovers are 1/2 of the turnovers by Saints opponents this season.

Rushing
  • Zeke averaged 1.9 yards/carry.
  • Regardless of play calling, Zeke should get more than 1.9 yards/carry.
  • Only twice this season have RBs with 15+ carries had a lower rushing average.
Points Allowed
  • The Cowboys Defense held the Saints to 12 points.
  • There have been 23 times that a defense has held an opponent to 12 or less points.
  • Those defenses were on the losing team 2 times of the 23 instances (i.e. They won 93% of the time).
Defense Limited Kamara
  • Kamara had 69 rushing yards for a 4.1 yards/carry average.
  • His career average is 5.1 yards/carry. His season average is 4.7 yards/carry.
  • Kamara had 20 yards receiving for with an average of 6.6 yards/catch.
  • His career average is 9.5 yards/catch. His season average is 10 yards/catch.
  • His career average is 49.5 receiving yards/game. His season average is 49.8 yards/catch.
We lost this game because we put the ball on the ground twice. We dropped 3/3 down Drive killing passes. No other reason I believe

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yea, I guess it's the "right" call, but it's almost impossible to ask DLaw to do anything different on that play.
Coaching or play calling. Clarification please

foofighters

Reaction score
The Cowboys lost because of turnovers and Zeke rushing for 1.9 yards/carry.

The defense did their job and Kellen Moore's play calling didn't cause the fumbles.

Regardless of Play Calling, Zeke should average more than 1.9 yards/carry.

The run blocking scheme might be a problem.
- The run blocking scheme often requires reach blocks.
- Reach blocks are sometimes impossible due to the how defenders align pre-snap.
- There were multiple problems with reach blocks in this game.

Cowboys Defense

• 12 points allowed (defenses win 93% this season if 12 or less points allowed)
  • Kamara held below career and 2019 season averages for rushing and receiving.
  • Kamara 69 yards rushing, 20 yards receiving.
  • Defense had an INT.
  • Defense had 5 sacks.
  • The Rams started at NO 49 after a punt return.
  • The Rams started at NO 47 & DAL 44 after each Cowboys fumble.
Cowboys Offense
  • Zeke had 1.9 yard/carry rushing.
  • Offense lost 2 fumbles.
  • Dak 66.7% completion rate (66.6% career average)
  • Dak 10.13 yards/completion (11.3 career average)
  • Dak zero INTs prior to Hail Mary on final play.
Turnovers
There have been 63 games this season (Jets & Niners had a bye already).
Teams that had a negative turnover margin have won 17.5% of the 63 games.
Teams that had a -2 or worse turnover margin have won 10.2% of the 63 games.
The Cowboys had a -2 turnover margin in the Saints game (-1 without the Hail Mary INT).
Cowboys Offense -3, Cowboys Offense +1
The Cowboys turnovers are 1/2 of the turnovers by Saints opponents this season.

Rushing
  • Zeke averaged 1.9 yards/carry.
  • Regardless of play calling, Zeke should get more than 1.9 yards/carry.
  • Only twice this season have RBs with 15+ carries had a lower rushing average.
Points Allowed
  • The Cowboys Defense held the Saints to 12 points.
  • There have been 23 times that a defense has held an opponent to 12 or less points.
  • Those defenses were on the losing team 2 times of the 23 instances (i.e. They won 93% of the time).
Defense Limited Kamara
  • Kamara had 69 rushing yards for a 4.1 yards/carry average.
  • His career average is 5.1 yards/carry. His season average is 4.7 yards/carry.
  • Kamara had 20 yards receiving for with an average of 6.6 yards/catch.
  • His career average is 9.5 yards/catch. His season average is 10 yards/catch.
  • His career average is 49.5 receiving yards/game. His season average is 49.8 yards/catch.
If Brees was playing we wouldn't be talking about how great the D was. If anything, Teddy helped our defense.

Flamma

Reaction score
Watch the play. Tank lunges at his legs as he's going down.

Rules like these do change behavior, but it takes time. Chop blocks are rare where they used to be a staple of certain offenses **cough Niners cough Denver cough**. Spearing of defenseless receivers is much more rare.

Certain rules won't. I've seen multiple penalties called on hitting a defenseless WR after he catches the ball. That flag is never changing behavior. I really don't think the penalty was meant to be enforced after the catch. But since it isn't worded that way the refs are free to interpret, and penalize accordingly.

As far as Tank goes, yes, he does lunge as he's going down. But he was pushed down, what was he supposed to do? Avoid the QB? That is not the basic instinct of what a football player does.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The lineman knocked him down but he made a lunge right at the end. I think that gets called 9 times out of 10.

I agree. If he had just been falling and hit the QB's legs, it would have been no call. He was pushed down, but dived and wrapped his arms around the QB's legs. That's avoidable and a penalty.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Certain rules won't. I've seen multiple penalties called on hitting a defenseless WR after he catches the ball. That flag is never changing behavior. I really don't think the penalty was meant to be enforced after the catch. But since it isn't worded that way the refs are free to interpret, and penalize accordingly.

As far as Tank goes, yes, he does lunge as he's going down. But he was pushed down, what was he supposed to do? Avoid the QB? That is not the basic instinct of what a football player does.

He can't try to make a play on the QB by hitting his legs no matter how he got into that position. It might be hard to avoid doing that, but it's the rule.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If Brees was playing we wouldn't be talking about how great the D was. If anything, Teddy helped our defense.
I don't know. I don't think they would have played ball control we would have had more drives ourselves. You can't speculate like that

aria

Reaction score
Saquon averaged 1.2 in his last game against the Bucs. Christian McCaffrey has averaged 1.5 or less 3 times. Guess they are pathetic too?

Run blocking and scheme matter and no RB can be good in the offense the Cowboys ran Sunday. Using that as any barometer for Zeke's contract is stupid.
Overall, I said that’s why I don’t think ANY RB is worth what they paid Zeke which includes Barkley and McCaffrey. Pollard could have done just as good. If the RB’s success is so dependent on the O line, which I do believe it is, why did we pay Zeke that much when we could have got close to similar production for free?

It’s been shown time and time again that the O line is more important than the RB. Ajayi helped the Eagles win a Super Bowl, Rams fans freaked out when Gurley went down but CJ Anderson stepped in and didn’t skip a beat. NE does it almost every year. Why is it there’s only been one SB winning team with the league leading rusher on it in the past 20 years if the RB position is so important?

Point being, Zeke is only as good as the O line (as are most RB’s) so why did pay that much money? A good QB can carry a team and make other players better around him. A good LB’er can be a game changer by himself. A good safety can shut down another teams receiver by himself. A good edge rusher can pressure the QB by himself. A good DT can shut down the the running lanes. What can a good RB do without an O line? Nothing. Yet we just paid this clown 50 million guaranteed when we could have handed Pollard the ball for free and got 1.8-1.9 ypc.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t care how bad the O line or play calling is, 1.8 ypc is unacceptable for what he demanded and what the Cowboys paid him. Absolutely pathetic...and that’s why you don’t pay RB’s that much money. I would bet my mortgage that Pollard would have had those same stats, if not better, if given the chance in that game.
Zeke rules!!

aria

Reaction score
lol ... once I read " I don’t care how bad the O line" I gave up any creditability to this post.
Good for you. When you pay a RB that much money, he should be getting more than 1.8 ypc regardless of the O line. I’ve been told here Zeke is better than Barkley because he can consistently get the “dirty yards”. What the hell happened kn Sunday night? I thought he could consistently push piles forward even when then there weren’t holes? I thought his specialty was getting those 3 yards when he didn’t have room to run?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't know what you mean by "avoid" here. If he's pushed into the QB, he doesn't have to avoid him. He does have to not actively grab or hit the QB below the knees.

And yes, the "defenseless receiver" rule has changed behavior. It happens a lot less than it used to. It doesn't have to eliminate behavior entirely to have changed it.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
Field position was terrible that game too and when you add the penalties Dallas couldn't make up the yardage..

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good for you. When you pay a RB that much money, he should be getting more than 1.8 ypc regardless of the O line.
Exactly what magical change do you think is supposed to happen to an RB when he gets paid more? Is he supposed to invest it in bionic limbs or jetpacks? (Hmm, that would be cool).

aria

Reaction score
Zeke rules!!
Zeke’s an overpaid diva who is more dependent on a good O line than most other backs in the league. He’s been spoiled since college with an above average O line, we’ve seen glimpses of what happens when that O line isn’t top 5-10 and it’s not pretty.

As I’ve always said, Barkley would have destroyed Zeke’s numbers last year running behind the Dallas O line and Zeke would have been lucky to break 1K yards running behind the Giants O line. But nope, I was told the the O line wasn’t that important, Zeke was reliable and the best at getting “dirty yards” and our O line last year wasn’t that good to begin with.

I’d love to reply to you with a page out of your book by saying “Zeke sucks”! but even I won’t go that far. He’s good but not worth what we paid him and by the time his contract is up he may go down as one of the worst contracts in Cowboys history. Time will tell.

Lucky for him, he’s faced some of the worst rushing defenses in the league and gets another one this weekend which will make people forget about Sunday but when the games really matter (ie Rams) or against good rushing defenses (ie Saints) he’s been nowhere to be found. For the price he was paid, and demanded, I expect a difference maker in those types of games not a guy who gets a free pass and excuses made for him every time.

aria

Reaction score
Exactly what magical change do you think is supposed to happen to an RB when he gets paid more? Is he supposed to invest it in bionic limbs or jetpacks? (Hmm, that would be cool).
There was no change, if anything it’s been a change for the worse. That’s the point, that’s why you don’t give RB’s those types of contracts! People defended him by saying “RB’s have a short shelf life and risk injury, he should get what he wants” and while the first part is true, that’s exactly why you don’t give them that much money. This is a business not a charity. Very few RB’s who have received these ridiculous contracts have been worth it and I doubt Zeke will be the excpetion.