Cowboys at Senior Bowl: ‘American’ Offense Scouting Report

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This year's American Team at the Reese's Senior Bowl will be coached by Dan Campbell and the Detroit Lions staff, and these offensive players are looking to improve or cement their stock, as they get exposure to the first NFL coaching of their careers.

Who to watch, for the Cowboys and more?

QUARTERBACKS

The American Team's quarterback group may not be as impressive as the National Team's, but its still a solid bunch.

North Carolina's Sam Howell and Liberty's Malik Willis headline the group, but don't sleep on Western Kentucky's Bailey Zappe, either. All three will get NFL chances, and Senior Bowl week will go a long way to determining how they get their starts.

Prospect to Watch: Sam Howell, North Carolina

OFFENSIVE LINE

Any quarterback will have bad games when the defense knows how to expose the offensive line weaknesses.

While Kentucky's Darian Kinnard can all but secure himself as a Day 1 prospect with a strong week, there's a treasure trove of mid-round diamonds like Max Mitchell (Louisiana), Ed Ingram (LSU) and Dylan Parham (Memphis).

Prospect to Watch: Dylan Parham, Memphis

RUNNING BACKS
D'Vonte Price (Florida International), James Cook (Georgia) and Brian Robinson Jr. (Alabama) are top-10 backs according to Sports Illustrated's current rankings.

Meanwhile, Dameon Pierce (Florida) and ZaQuandre White (South Carolina) are all guys in search of a stock-boosting experience in Mobile.

Prospect to Watch: James Cook, Georgia

WIDE RECEIVERS

It'll be a lot of fun to see what the coaching staff does with Calvin Austin III (Memphis) in such a short period of time, and he has the potential to be the star of the show.

Meanwhile, Tre Turner (Virginia Tech) seems to have the most ground to make up, while Dontario Drummond (Ole Miss), Jalen Tolbert (South Alabama), and a pair of SMU Mustangs in Reggie Roberson Jr. and Danny Gray aim to give pass-heavy offenses something to consider draft weekend.

Prospect to Watch: Calvin Austin III, Memphis

Dallas Cowboys at Senior Bowl: ‘American’ Offense Scouting Report - FanNation Dallas Cowboys News, Analysis and More

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Here’s our top 50 prospects entering the week. `

1. Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah

Arguably the best player in Mobile, Lloyd will have a chance to solidify himself as the top linebacker in the class. He’s a classic thumper who loves to play physical at getting while stopping the run.

2. Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn

A Mobile native, McCreary returns home to show the league why he’s a consensus first round talent. Playing against some of the best wide receivers over the past three seasons, the Tigers’ standout defensive back was one of the best in man coverage thanks to his physical play style.

4. Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

Don’t let the FCS level name fool you, Penning is an exceptional player. This season for the Panthers, Penning was a mauler in the run game and plays with a chip on his shoulder. The 6’7 offensive tackle spent the last three seasons on the left side, but could play either position with ease.

5. Jermaine Johnson, EDGE, Florida State

Best used as a natural defensive end, Johnson was a bright spot for the Seminoles’ defensive front. Quick off the span and strong hand usage to win at the line of scrimmage, Johnson tallied 11.5 sacks in 2021. Against the run, his ability to shed blockers allowed him to record 17.5 tackles for losses

6. Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State

Dotson enters Mobile as likely the top receiver of the week. Although standing at just 5’11, the former Nittany Lion plays much bigger than his size and allows his speed to help him win at the line of scrimmage when creating separation. Dotson’s route-running skills will be the biggest reason for an audience this week.

Dallas Cowboys Top 50 Prospects at Senior Bowl: What Star LB Thinks of ‘Next Micah Parsons' Idea - FanNation Dallas Cowboys News, Analysis and More

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing this game more so than the Pro Bowl. These kids know they have a lot on the line in this game. Last chance to show NFL scouts what they can do.

fivetwos

Reaction score
As an American, I'm offended by that team name and I want something done.

That aside, I wonder if scout Jerry is there with his mesh ball cap and clipboard.

How embarrassing.

I'd really love to see what his notes said.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
As an American, I'm offended by that team name and I want something done.

That aside, I wonder if scout Jerry is there with his mesh ball cap and clipboard.

How embarrassing.

I'd really love to see what his notes said.

McClay is there and that is what matters.

Just last year, Cowboys vice president of player personnel Will McClay detailed the value provided by being able to attend these practices.

"We get to view the full process from stretch to the end of practice when they call them up. Those are things that we continue to evaluate on the player – his interactions. The way he interacts with his teammates and coaches," McClay said at the time. "Those are the things that I enjoy the most, getting to watch the beginning to the end of practice and then start to formulate an opinion based off what I was told about the player. Then we pick up and have the personal interaction, we can put all that together to really paint a picture on the guy."

The results speak for themselves when you analyze the Cowboys' draft history. In the eight years since McClay began running the draft process, the Cowboys have drafted 18 Senior Bowl players – an average of two per draft class. The only year in that timeframe that didn't see at least one Senior Bowl participant drafted by Dallas was 2015. And even then, one of their biggest undrafted signings in recent memory – La'el Collins – was a 2015 Senior Bowl participant.

At this point, the Cowboys' roster is littered with examples. Martin famously did battle here against Aaron Donald before both 2014 first-round draft picks went on to be perennial All-Pros. Ironically, Dak Prescott was here in 2016, when the Cowboys' coaching staff coached the game – albeit he was named MVP for the other team. Michael Gallup, Cedrick Wilson and Tony Pollard all played in Mobile, as well.
Trends Suggest Future Cowboys Are In Mobile (dallascowboys.com)

fivetwos

Reaction score
McClay is there and that is what matters.

Just last year, Cowboys vice president of player personnel Will McClay detailed the value provided by being able to attend these practices.

"We get to view the full process from stretch to the end of practice when they call them up. Those are things that we continue to evaluate on the player – his interactions. The way he interacts with his teammates and coaches," McClay said at the time. "Those are the things that I enjoy the most, getting to watch the beginning to the end of practice and then start to formulate an opinion based off what I was told about the player. Then we pick up and have the personal interaction, we can put all that together to really paint a picture on the guy."

The results speak for themselves when you analyze the Cowboys' draft history. In the eight years since McClay began running the draft process, the Cowboys have drafted 18 Senior Bowl players – an average of two per draft class. The only year in that timeframe that didn't see at least one Senior Bowl participant drafted by Dallas was 2015. And even then, one of their biggest undrafted signings in recent memory – La'el Collins – was a 2015 Senior Bowl participant.

At this point, the Cowboys' roster is littered with examples. Martin famously did battle here against Aaron Donald before both 2014 first-round draft picks went on to be perennial All-Pros. Ironically, Dak Prescott was here in 2016, when the Cowboys' coaching staff coached the game – albeit he was named MVP for the other team. Michael Gallup, Cedrick Wilson and Tony Pollard all played in Mobile, as well.
Trends Suggest Future Cowboys Are In Mobile (dallascowboys.com)
Oh I'm just having fun!

Better than the vinegar I was spewing the other day.

:laugh:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Fans don't even think about getting your hands on Lloyd w/o trade up.......no way in hell he's getting past the Giants, WFT and especially the Eagles.

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is a Senior bowl, Linderman is a Jr who is leaving early,
I'm surprised they haven't changed that rule.....and allow all draft eligible players to participate if they choose.

Just seems like a today's world type of fix. They seem a little behind on that one unless I'm missing something.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm looking forward to seeing this game more so than the Pro Bowl. These kids know they have a lot on the line in this game. Last chance to show NFL scouts what they can do.

Yes it will be much more entertaining and fun to watch than the pro bowl.

Carson

Reaction score
Just me, but Johnson is top 3 DE, maybe the best.....
I'm a fan. Bucky Brooks just mocked him to Philly at 19

I had Dean and Green above him. The more I watch, the more he becomes my favorite pick.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm surprised they haven't changed that rule.....and allow all draft eligible players to participate if they choose.

Just seems like a today's world type of fix. They seem a little behind on that one unless I'm missing something.

Now days some guys who know they will be top prospects are not going to play, they would not even play in bowl games with their teams because of risk