Cowboys bringing in Billy Turner OL N Dakota St

RS12

Reaction score
I like this guy but the Cowboys have not done well with small school OL lately

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like this guy but the Cowboys have not done well with small school OL lately

The Cowboys seem to do well with players that they're spent time with prior to the draft. For example Callahan spent significant time with Frederick, but the Cowboys didn't speak to Claiborne at all prior to that draft. They also didn't do mental makeup evaluations of players like Robert Brewster and Jacob Rogers who both failed due to their mental makeup and not a lack of physical ability.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
I really like turner. For some reason reminds me of Allen. This big guy has great feet and can play OG and move to RT.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I am onboard with his visit, he has a nice edge to his demeanor and talent to back it up. I see him as a third rounder still too green for the 2nd.

KDM256

Reaction score
My biggest concerns with Turner is can he drop those hips at the guard position. He plays too high and struggles with leverage.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I think he could be a nice RT with some work. He played LT in college so he has decent feet.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The Cowboys seem to do well with players that they're spent time with prior to the draft. For example Callahan spent significant time with Frederick, but the Cowboys didn't speak to Claiborne at all prior to that draft. They also didn't do mental makeup evaluations of players like Robert Brewster and Jacob Rogers who both failed due to their mental makeup and not a lack of physical ability.

I really think that Dallas has learned their lesson on the mental make-up part of the equation... at least I really hope that they have. They have been doing better with that in the past few drafts, except for Claiborne, who surprised them so much that they went outside of normal channels in that instance. Probably to their regret.

RS12

Reaction score
I really think that Dallas has learned their lesson on the mental make-up part of the equation... at least I really hope that they have. They have been doing better with that in the past few drafts, except for Claiborne, who surprised them so much that they went outside of normal channels in that instance. Probably to their regret.

Maybe that 6 on the wonderlich wasnt a fluke.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My biggest concerns with Turner is can he drop those hips at the guard position. He plays too high and struggles with leverage.

Can you direct me to a play where he struggled with leverage?

KDM256

Reaction score
Can you direct me to a play where he struggled with leverage?

It wasn't something I saw in regards to a certain play, but oppose to something I read on NFLdraftscout when the Senior Bowl was going on during one of their during the week practices.. Overalll he had positive things to say about Turner but his biggest concerns was leverage as to why Dee Ford pretty much had his way with him during one of the SrBowl practices.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I am onboard with his visit, he has a nice edge to his demeanor and talent to back it up. I see him as a third rounder still too green for the 2nd.

He will need to develop. He has a funny stance if you watch him. Will need a good deal of technique work. But other than that, a lot to like.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It wasn't something I saw in regards to a certain play, but oppose to something I read on NFLdraftscout when the Senior Bowl was going on during one of their during the week practices.. Overalll he had positive things to say about Turner but his biggest concerns was leverage as to why Dee Ford pretty much had his way with him during one of the SrBowl practices.

I would expect him to struggle in that type of setting. DLinemen have the advantage in drills over OLinemen.

Turner is very raw and Dee Ford is one of the most developed pass rushers from a technical perspective. At ND State, Turner didn't really need any technique. He just overwhelmed most players at that level with superior physical ability.

Here is a compilation of analysts thoughts on him from the Senior Bowl.

http://thevikingage.com/2014/01/21/senior-bowl-billy-turner-ol-north-dakota-state/
Craig Bohl has built an amazing program at NDSU. Three straight FCS national championships and an upset of the Gophers back in Jerry Kill’s first year are testament to that. One guy off NDSU’s three-time-championship roster in particular has NFL scouts sitting up and taking notice. That’s offensive lineman Billy Turner.

Turner is at the Senior Bowl this week, and he is once again turning heads. Here’s a quick sampling of what the experts are saying about the 6-5 tackle/guard after day one of Senior Bowl practice:

[URL='http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24415146/senior-bowl-10-observations-from-mondays-south-practice']Rob Rang
: As impressive as [Ju'Wuan] James was, arguably the most impressive offensive lineman of the day was North Dakota State’s Billy Turner, who possesses a very similar build at 6-foot-5, 316 pounds. Unlike James, Turner struggles a bit with leverage, bending at the waist rather than the knees but he has strong hands and is a good athlete who projects as a quality NFL starter with a little refinement. His upside could push Turner into the top 100 picks, if he isn’t there already.

Dan Kadar: North Dakota State offensive lineman Billy Turner fit right in with his FBS competition. Turner is a powerful blocker and it showed. He lined up at multiple positions and was as effective at guard as he was at tackle.

Eric Galko: North Dakota State offensive tackle Billy Turner struggled with his leverage and blocking posture throughout the practice, but really stood out with his hand strength strike. At tackle, he displayed adequate foot speed but he’ll need to correct waist-bending issues.

Josh Norris: Billy Turner will get yelled at for tech, but his functional strength is great. Like that he’s getting snaps at G too.

Dane Brugler: Zack Martin is my top OL prospect in Mobile but NDSU OL Billy Turner might be my No. 2. Powerful hands and mean. Love this kid.

Lance Zierlein: Jaguars offensive line coach George Yarno got into Turner with a butt-chewing a couple of times as Turner failed to execute basic functions of the one on one drill. Turner bounced back with good one on one pass pro reps against Deandre Coleman and Brent Urban and handled himself well in the scrimmage portion at tackle and guard. I’m excited to see how Turner continues to progress under the watchful eye of Yarno.

As you can see, it wasn’t all positive for Turner. Michael DiRocco of ESPN thought Turner had a hard time with some speedy SEC edge rushers in one-on-one drills, but he chalked that up to the step up in competition and a long layoff.

The question for Turner is whether he will be a tackle in the NFL or have to move inside and play guard. The Vikings right now are set at tackle, with Matt Kalil and Phil Loadholt both locked in for years to come, but guard is an area of significant need. Turner could be a 3rd or 4th round target for Minnesota as a guard.
[/URL]