Cowboys can sign former WR who's attempting NFL comeback (and they better not)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Story by Jerry Trotta
6/26/2024

The Dallas Cowboys seldom spend big in free agency, so their list of biggest busts is shorter than most teams. Their rivals know this all too well, as Albert Haynesworth (Washington), Kenny Golladay (Giants) and Nnamdi Asomugha (Eagles) are some of the worst free agent signings of all-time.

In the Jerry Jones era, the Cowboys' worst signing is without question defensive lineman Greg Hardy. While Hardy was productive on the field, he was destructive (to say the least) off of it. Elsewhere, kicker Mike Vanderjagt was an abject failure, as were safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.

Clinton-Dix and McCoy were part of Dallas' 2020 free agent class, but the '22 class was nothing to write home about, either. While they made some important re-signings, it will be remembered as the year they extended an injured Michael Gallup and traded Amari Cooper.

That wasn't the Cowboys' only hiccup at wide receiver that offseason. You might remember that James Washington signed a one-year deal. He only played two games that season due to a fractured foot suffered in camp.

The injury purportedly prevented Washington from playing in 2023, but he announced on social media that he's attempting a comeback. ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported that Washington has already generated interest.

More: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=a6c6d2ae62834604914a4cb3b2b91a2d&ei=42

blueblood70

Reaction score
Story by Jerry Trotta
6/26/2024

The Dallas Cowboys seldom spend big in free agency, so their list of biggest busts is shorter than most teams. Their rivals know this all too well, as Albert Haynesworth (Washington), Kenny Golladay (Giants) and Nnamdi Asomugha (Eagles) are some of the worst free agent signings of all-time.

In the Jerry Jones era, the Cowboys' worst signing is without question defensive lineman Greg Hardy. While Hardy was productive on the field, he was destructive (to say the least) off of it. Elsewhere, kicker Mike Vanderjagt was an abject failure, as were safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.

Clinton-Dix and McCoy were part of Dallas' 2020 free agent class, but the '22 class was nothing to write home about, either. While they made some important re-signings, it will be remembered as the year they extended an injured Michael Gallup and traded Amari Cooper.

That wasn't the Cowboys' only hiccup at wide receiver that offseason. You might remember that James Washington signed a one-year deal. He only played two games that season due to a fractured foot suffered in camp.

The injury purportedly prevented Washington from playing in 2023, but he announced on social media that he's attempting a comeback. ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported that Washington has already generated interest.

More: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=a6c6d2ae62834604914a4cb3b2b91a2d&ei=42
you know these are just rumors every single guy out trying to make a comeback or wanting to force a trade or becoming a free agent or coming from the USFL or all six degrees separated from the Dallas Cowboys.... I mean have you not learned that yet? I mean this is just all a bunch of nonsense they already drafted a couple they had some undrafted ones and they have guys that are on projects from last year's draft all that defensive back so we don't need them like at all you're right so other than camp bodies or an emergency I don't see it happening if they were gonna do that they probably find a way in week two to bring back Gilmore we need to really see again how is Trayvon diggs gonna respond I hope it's not as bad as Terrence steel.. Or worse people forget to mention things like Von Miller on how bad he was coming off his ACL I mean he did absolutely nothing and robbed the Buffalo Bills last year...

So I think the Cowboys might after seeing how Trayvon diggs responds have a list of people...

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Was the Greg hardy contract that bad? If I remember it was a one-year deal filled with incentives and he was suspended for a bulk of it so it wasn't as pricey as first advertised. The guy was nuts off the field but could get to the QB (which he didn't do too much of in Dallas) so the risk kind of seemed OK at the time, provided one could stomach his offenses.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Was the Greg hardy contract that bad? If I remember it was a one-year deal filled with incentives and he was suspended for a bulk of it so it wasn't as pricey as first advertised. The guy was nuts off the field but could get to the QB (which he didn't do too much of in Dallas) so the risk kind of seemed OK at the time, provided one could stomach his offenses.
It was a waste of time but it was a bargain for the player he was. He was just a scum bag.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No way will they sign Washington with three young receivers on the roster. Talk about a progress stopper.