Cowboys @ Commanders: What They Are Saying (player quotes)

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Cowboys @ Commanders: What They're Saying
by Brandon W CST
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2008/11/18/664273/cowboys-Commanders-what-they

Romo

"I was excited," he said, an observation he couldn't make often this season. "I think it was fun to get back out there and play, and it gave me a chance to miss the game quite a bit. It's so much fun."​
Witten (about Romo)

"It just shows he’s our franchise," Cowboys tight end Jason Witten said. "Not just as far as making throws and all that; I think more importantly the leadership and keeping everybody upbeat and the tempo that we play with. That goes a long way, especially in those big games."​

Wade Phillips (about Romo)
"He affects the game. He affects our players. He affects our attitude about what we can and can’t do when we got behind 7-0," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said. "I don’t think it bothered anybody that we got behind. We felt like we could score. I think it affects decisions of the game that sometimes you don’t see. And just his enthusiasm. His confidence, his calls."​

Romo
"The adrenaline of the game is a great equalizer when you have things banged up or hurting," Romo said after the game. "I always felt if I could kind of do it during the week I would be able to do it in the game."​

Witten
"It's from Rocky IV," Witten said. "Remember when Adrian told him, 'You can't win'?"​
Newman
"The first game I played, I was hurt. I tried to fight through it and didn't have a great game," Newman said. "I keep hearing my name on TV that this guy beat me and that guy beat me, so I had something to prove."​
"I was a little bit late, but I was able to catch up," Newman said. "Campbell had to hold the ball a little bit longer than he wanted to, I think, and I just looked back. The ball was in the air, and I just got a hand on it."​

Ratliff
"I think we're a pretty intense team," Ratliff said. "Today was the first day we came out and just played together, and everybody made plays."​
Garrett
"I just wanted to make sure we continued to run it inside, run it outside and have some balance in how we were attacking them running the football."​
(about Barber)​
"The runner is a tough son of a [beep]," offensive coordinator Jason Garrett said. "He loves those situations and thrives on them. He did a heck of a job. That's just the way he is. He's a competitor. He has such great heart."​

Barber
"Every game is different," Barber said. "You've just got to keep pushing, working hard in practice and when you get the opportunity, you just take advantage of it."​

Big L. Davis
"What am I thinking?," guard Leonard Davis said. "Keep truckin' man! That's what makes it fun."​
"We knew that we were either going to run the clock out, or we were going to go down there and score on them."​

Andre Gurode
"That's what an offensive line is supposed to do. We take pride in that."​

Jason Witten:
"Marion was a warrior. He fought for every yard. It wasn't easy. That's the way we're used to him playing, and at the end of the game, he just imposed his will."​

Peete ?? WHO ??
"You got to be a physical team, plus I think our line is that way too," Peete said. "The nature of the way those guys play it has to be that way. A lot of times you see physical teams you have to be physical."​

Barber
"It was big. I'm sure y'all can see that yourself," Marion Barber said.​

Big L. Davis
"This win is definitely big. Every win is big. We know what we've got to do and we know our situation. We're not going to just take anything for granted."​

Witten
"Hopefully, this gives us some momentum," Witten said, "but our backs are still against the wall. We're not out of this thing yet."​

Owens
"I think coming into this environment was a good test for us," Terrell Owens said. "We needed this. Are we back to the old Cowboys? Who knows, but this is still a step in the right direction."​

Zach
"I felt us getting the swagger back and we hadn't had that swagger in awhile," Thomas said. "That's important. It's confidence. I think we've had the confidence but you have a little doubt in the back of our mind when thins aren't going well."​
And now for the quote of the day.

Martellus Bennett (had his second touchdown catch of the season against the Commanders)
"You can get your first kiss from Oprah, or you can get your first kiss from Halle Berry," Bennett said, explaining the difference as only he could. "Oprah gave me the first kiss. This was Halle Berry right here."​
____________________________________________________​
Sorry, long read, tried to clean it up some.​
I'm not sure who the Peete quote is -referring to the physical part of the game.​

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
dueyhemlock;2428179" said:
I just wanted to make sure we continued to run it inside, run it outside and have some balance in how we were attacking them running the football."

This part of the quote was left out ...

"Because they told me we better not have a repeat of the last Commanders game. Run the ball or run home. That's what I was told."

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
OH MY GOD! Garrett called Barber "the runner" what a disrespectful a hole.:D

CoCo

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2428234 said:
OH MY GOD! Garrett called Barber "the runner" what a disrespectful a hole.:D

Yeah, I caught that too. :laugh2:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would tear Oprah up. Metaphorically. Who's with me?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Chief;2428200 said:
This part of the quote was left out ...

"Because they told me we better not have a repeat of the last Commanders game. Run the ball or run home. That's what I was told."

"Bout time we used Marion like we should and when we should. I really don't like the pass happy Garrett. We have Marion. Run that kid, he loves it. This is what the Gints do. Pound, pound, pound 'til they wear you out. Very simple game plan, IMO. I think Marion is twice the running back Jacobs is. (This may be the HATE talkin' :D )

Zman5

Reaction score
Barber is a touch son of a [beep] but I think Witten is the tougher son of a [beep]. The dude has broken ribs and he had some good blocks in that game.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Is Bennett saying the TD against the Rams was like kissing Oprah and the one against the Skins was like Halle Berry?

That and "Martellus see ball, Martellus catch ball" are kinda making me like this kid - A little anyway.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
aikemirv;2428327 said:
..."Martellus see ball, Martellus catch ball"

How the heck did I miss this gem? Where'd he say that?

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
aikemirv;2428327 said:
Is Bennett saying the TD against the Rams was like kissing Oprah and the one against the Skins was like Halle Berry?

That and "Martellus see ball, Martellus catch ball" are kinda making me like this kid - A little anyway.

I was unbelievably sour on him after that Hard Knocks episode, but I've come around. I actually like him a LOT. He is underused IMHO.

Idgit;2428346 said:
How the heck did I miss this gem? Where'd he say that?
I missed it too, but I like it.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
That was a great game plan, Jason Garrett. You threw those slants and got the ball out of his hands. Two of the throws were off, but keep throwing them. You ran the football and smashed their faces, and you picked your spots to turn # 9 loose. Great job. Keep it up. This team can win lots of games with great defense and a power running game. Then, Romo can torch them on third down. Plus, those third downs will be shorter when you pound the rock with Barber and burn them with Felix Jones.

When Felix Jones comes back, feed Barber and Felix the rock. Stick to the fourmula.

Smachmouth football, baby. This ain't the Big 12 South. It's the NFC East.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
Zman5;2428319 said:
Barber is a touch son of a [beep] but I think Witten is the tougher son of a [beep]. The dude has broken ribs and he had some good blocks in that game.

um, okay... nobody said anything about Witten not being tough either but okay.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dueyhemlock;2428179 said:
Witten
"Hopefully, this gives us some momentum," Witten said, "but our backs are still against the wall. We're not out of this thing yet."​
Staying humble, realistic and grounded is the best approach. Combining that mindset along with the talent on this team should pay off in huge dividends down the stretch. Keep 'em straight, Witten.