News: Cowboys Concerns – What They Are vs What Is Stated

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys Concerns – What They Are vs What Is Stated
Cowboys Concerns - What They Are vs What Is Stated | Cowboys Nation

Listening to Jerry Jones interviews via video, podcast, radio or television will not give you an accurate indication of the state of the Dallas Cowboys. No matter how much you listen. No matter how often you watch. To be frank, honest assessment of the teams fortunes is not his job. He’s the carnival barker. Jerry’s task is to drum up excitement and one has to admit, he’s damn good at it.

However the plethora of “Jerry-Speak” (yes, there is an urban descriptor) muddles the waters if you’re’ trying to get a feel for where the team is at any particular juncture. What to do? The solution is to look at the Cowboys as you would any other corporate entity. Ask most any CEO how their company is doing and they have a canned elevator pitch response to lay on you touting the solid footing the company is on and the brightness of tomorrows prospects. It will be impressive. Then the next day they file for bankruptcy. You don’t listen to what a CEO says, you look at what his company is doing. It’s the same with the Dallas Cowboys.

There are currently personnel situations/questions at several position for the team. If a club brings in a single player for a tryout it denotes interest in a unique talent. If a team brings in multiple players at a specific position it reveals a concern/need. Let’s look at what the team is saying …. then at what it’s doing.

QB2 Injury Situation
Jerry-Speak: The team has two young, talented QB’s on the roster the Cowboys are very excited about.

Teams Actions: Tried to sign Nick Foles. Unable to get a favorable trade for other veteran QB2.

Translation: Nothing is available without massively overpaying. Will make do with what they have and put the best face on it.

Swing Tackle Position
Jerry-Speak: We’re very excited to see what we have with Chaz Green this year.

Team Actions: Currently bringing in swing tackles types by the truckload for tryouts.

Translation: The team is concerned with the lack of consistency Green is showing. With Charles Brown retiring they are looking for options. A final 53 cut pickup is likely.

Defensive Line
Jerry-Speak: We like what we have at defensive end and are excited about the players we were able to acquire in the draft and the offseason.

Team Actions: Fully aware of who/what is available in free agency and via trade the team is in same situation as QB2. Nothing available without massively overpaying.

Translation: The coaches like their depth and young talent but will keep a close eye on the final 53 cuts that become available.

Linebacker Depth
Jerry-Speak: We have youth, depth and versatility. Always looking for a talent upgrade but we like what we have.

Team Actions: New LB talent is signed on a regular basis as the team continues to churn the NFL LB pool.

Translation: The need for camp bodies due to nagging injuries seem to be the biggest concern as the team is showing it’s content to fly with what they have on the roster. McClain’s situation reveals a possible schism between the coaching staff and Jerry Jones who still has a man-crush on the beleaguered MLB.

Cornerback Depth
Jerry-Speak: We are excited about our corner back starters!

Team Actions: Not much.

Translation: The team is very pleased with the progress of Morris Claiborne and how Carr looks on the right hand side. Scandrick is looking like his old (injury free) self and newly drafted Anthony Brown looks to be a steal in the slot or the outside. Things are looking up here.

So no, everything isn’t’ “coming up roses” for the Cowboys. But overall, there’s a lot to like so far. With no real QB2 to speak of the entire season obviously hinges on Romo’s health. It pretty much did anyhow, it’s just glaring now. With Romo at the helm this is a playoff team. With not it’s 2015 all over again.

Now is a good time to raise a glass in a toast to the fates. Hope for a great year, a solid OLine and continued good health for the Cowboys QB. Repeat as necessary. As goes Romo, so go the Cowboys. That’s the way it’s been for years. Time to bring on 2016.

lostar2009

Reaction score
This is what happens when you draft unreliable and injury prone players. Some of it is just bad luck but most of our starters are injury prone or is unreliable.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is what happens when you draft unreliable and injury prone players. Some of it is just bad luck but most of our starters are injury prone or is unreliable.

Don't base opinion on such an abstract basis. Injury has been relatively minor in this camp, despite the taped on salt tablet routines.

The scouting program has been identifying players with measureable dynamics and physical abilities. When a player has to be slotted in a roster spot, they use instincts of that particular player.

So, for now, just chill and watch the developing squad.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Don't base opinion on such an abstract basis. Injury has been relatively minor in this camp, despite the taped on salt tablet routines.

The scouting program has been identifying players with measureable dynamics and physical abilities. When a player has to be slotted in a roster spot, they use instincts of that particular player.

It's all we can do. I would just feel a lot better if we got one legit de brought in.

I know it's been beat to death but I want hardy back. Playing next to Thornton I'd expect at least 10 sacks. Hardy was more of a factor than people think. But ya he didn't live up to his contract but he had a year off and missed 4 games. He played next to hay den too. Lol

CCBoy

Reaction score
It's all we can do. I would just feel a lot better if we got one legit de brought in.

I know it's been beat to death but I want hardy back. Playing next to Thornton I'd expect at least 10 sacks. Hardy was more of a factor than people think. But ya he didn't live up to his contract but he had a year off and missed 4 games. He played next to hay den too. Lol

There is a reason that not a single team has brought him in yet...and it involves a background of social abuses.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
There is a reason that not a single team has brought him in yet...and it involves a background of social abuses.

I can understand that. It's just the most hyped I've been over adding a player since dez. Honestly reminds me of haley. Wanted a alpha male with a mean streak that was a rebel. That didn't play anybody's bs!! He was just that though. No interest equals less money to have a chance again though. I can't see a reason for a loss to a cowboy friendly contract! We have to go all in on romo don't half *** it!!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We had about 18 players out a few days ago with some type of injury, from recovering from previous injuries, surgeries, accidents, minor stuff, but the day to day crap we always hear.
I think that included romo, and some back Stiffness, and Dez's blister, but they are fine. DLaw, and his back, has he been in there?

on defense:
Did 3 DL return though? McClain, Thornton, Crawford?
Wilson, accident with the piant ball to the eye, but haven't heard much more on when expected back
Wilber, out with a back issue, but haven't heard anything more about it
Gachkar, supposedly a broken thumb? Anyone have anything more on this, how long he will be out?
J. Smith, but we known this since the draft
Mayowa, he getting any closer to return, shuoldn't he be ready to get back in there?
Collins, still another week away to return according to the latest news, but somehow I expect 2 weeks at least the way this team does things.

on offense:
Moore most likely out for the season, but have not seen anything official or a move to IR yet.
Dunbar on PUP, I think he stays on PUP, but everyone has Jackson replacing Dunbar and even DMC, so does this matter?
Zeke, a hamstring issue, and not a serious concern, but this time i beleive them as to the day to day deal, being cautious. They did this last year with McFadden's minor hamstring issue, and he had an injury free season.
McFadden, still recovering from his elbow accident, but he will be fine once he returns, but hope he can get in a few weeks of practice.
Street with a back issue, but many expect him to be replaced by Butler and possibly Andy Jones.
Hanna, knee soreness, but how long does soreness last, it's been 12 days so far since they said this. But Escobar is back as he was the one we thought would be out. But he needs to be in there.

But shouldn't all of these players be back over the next 2 weeks or so, with exception of Smith and Dunbar, and Moore of course.
Unless I am missing someone, or haven't heard if any will be back, or are back, this doesn't seem all too bad, as long as they do get back to get in a preseason game or two.

lostar2009

Reaction score

Well I think they have more injuries and suspensions then prior years. This year can go either way. It the depth chart and rookies step up then we have a chance.

Section446

Reaction score
All of that is great, none of it matters if Romo goes down for any period of time. He's healthy all year (which he won't be), we have a shot at a wildcard, he's not, it's time for a top 10 pick.

phildadon86

Reaction score
All of that is great, none of it matters if Romo goes down for any period of time. He's healthy all year (which he won't be), we have a shot at a wildcard, he's not, it's time for a top 10 pick.
If Romo is healthy all year we win the east. No wildcard. If our offense does what it should and our defense is only even a half step better than 2014 and we are up in the 11 12 win range. Imo

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless I am missing someone, or haven't heard if any will be back, or are back, this doesn't seem all too bad, as long as they do get back to get in a preseason game or two.
So far the injury situation is overrated. The media need something to talk about so we get the sky is falling articles darn near every day.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
if tony stays healthy all year they will be competitive if tony gets hurt early they will be picking in the top five again its been that way ever since tony has been here same thing this year.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Well..

This QB2 thing is strictly Jerrahs fault.

They could of made the trade for Lynch and secured the backup we needed.

But he didn't.

The year before he could have had Manziel but he didn't. Had he taken Manziel..who knows if Manziel would have crateted like in Cleveland. I tend to think not.

So if Romo gos down again and we miss the playoffs with no viable #2 QB..

then its all on our GM..

a guy some think should be in the HofF.

Wrong..its Hall of Shame.

Its becuz of Jerrah we haven't fielded a legit team in 20 years.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Well..

This QB2 thing is strictly Jerrahs fault.

They could of made the trade for Lynch and secured the backup we needed.

But he didn't.

The year before he could have had Manziel but he didn't. Had he taken Manziel..who knows if Manziel would have crateted like in Cleveland. I tend to think not.

So if Romo gos down again and we miss the playoffs with no viable #2 QB..

then its all on our GM..

a guy some think should be in the HofF.

Wrong..its Hall of Shame.

Its becuz of Jerrah we haven't fielded a legit team in 20 years.
Hey..

What I don't understand at all with Jerrah and his thinking..

He once had Troy Aiman and did exactly what he is doing now..

assuming Troy would play several more years and never got a QB ready.

We went thru years of drifting and losing until Romo was given the reins out of desparation becaz Bledsoe imploded.

Now we have gone thru years replying on 1 QB and watched with horror whem he goes down.

Romo is at the end of his career. Still..nobody to play the position after Romo.

You don't just keep hoping and do nothing to underline the team.

Romo is one guy who has seen his better years.

And Jerrah is playing the same 'ol cards as always.

He will take the blame for the umpteenth time after the season is over and Cowboy fans will know nothing will change.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
If I was a defensive coach that had to play Dallas Cowboys, what strategy would I apply to try and win the game. Hint: See bold blue below.

So no, everything isn’t’ “coming up roses” for the Cowboys. But overall, there’s a lot to like so far. With no real QB2 to speak of the entire season obviously hinges on Romo’s health. It pretty much did anyhow, it’s just glaring now. With Romo at the helm this is a playoff team. With not it’s 2015 all over again.

Now is a good time to raise a glass in a toast to the fates. Hope for a great year, a solid OLine and continued good health for the Cowboys QB. Repeat as necessary. As goes Romo, so go the Cowboys. That’s the way it’s been for years. Time to bring on 2016.
Cowboys Concerns – What They Are vs What Is Stated
Cowboys Concerns - What They Are vs What Is Stated | Cowboys Nation

Listening to Jerry Jones interviews via video, podcast, radio or television will not give you an accurate indication of the state of the Dallas Cowboys. No matter how much you listen. No matter how often you watch. To be frank, honest assessment of the teams fortunes is not his job. He’s the carnival barker. Jerry’s task is to drum up excitement and one has to admit, he’s damn good at it.

However the plethora of “Jerry-Speak” (yes, there is an urban descriptor) muddles the waters if you’re’ trying to get a feel for where the team is at any particular juncture. What to do? The solution is to look at the Cowboys as you would any other corporate entity. Ask most any CEO how their company is doing and they have a canned elevator pitch response to lay on you touting the solid footing the company is on and the brightness of tomorrows prospects. It will be impressive. Then the next day they file for bankruptcy. You don’t listen to what a CEO says, you look at what his company is doing. It’s the same with the Dallas Cowboys.

There are currently personnel situations/questions at several position for the team. If a club brings in a single player for a tryout it denotes interest in a unique talent. If a team brings in multiple players at a specific position it reveals a concern/need. Let’s look at what the team is saying …. then at what it’s doing.

QB2 Injury Situation
Jerry-Speak: The team has two young, talented QB’s on the roster the Cowboys are very excited about.

Teams Actions: Tried to sign Nick Foles. Unable to get a favorable trade for other veteran QB2.

Translation: Nothing is available without massively overpaying. Will make do with what they have and put the best face on it.

Swing Tackle Position
Jerry-Speak: We’re very excited to see what we have with Chaz Green this year.

Team Actions: Currently bringing in swing tackles types by the truckload for tryouts.

Translation: The team is concerned with the lack of consistency Green is showing. With Charles Brown retiring they are looking for options. A final 53 cut pickup is likely.

Defensive Line
Jerry-Speak: We like what we have at defensive end and are excited about the players we were able to acquire in the draft and the offseason.

Team Actions: Fully aware of who/what is available in free agency and via trade the team is in same situation as QB2. Nothing available without massively overpaying.

Translation: The coaches like their depth and young talent but will keep a close eye on the final 53 cuts that become available.

Linebacker Depth
Jerry-Speak: We have youth, depth and versatility. Always looking for a talent upgrade but we like what we have.

Team Actions: New LB talent is signed on a regular basis as the team continues to churn the NFL LB pool.

Translation: The need for camp bodies due to nagging injuries seem to be the biggest concern as the team is showing it’s content to fly with what they have on the roster. McClain’s situation reveals a possible schism between the coaching staff and Jerry Jones who still has a man-crush on the beleaguered MLB.

Cornerback Depth
Jerry-Speak: We are excited about our corner back starters!

Team Actions: Not much.

Translation: The team is very pleased with the progress of Morris Claiborne and how Carr looks on the right hand side. Scandrick is looking like his old (injury free) self and newly drafted Anthony Brown looks to be a steal in the slot or the outside. Things are looking up here.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Swing tackle????? How about a starting Right tackle? I bet @ some point this season...Leary is starting @ LG...and Collins is moved to Right Tackle...because of Doug Free's poor play. Calling it now...:rolleyes: