Cowboys counting on Deuce Vaughn?

Verdict

Reaction score
I was a fan of Vaughn’s play at KState, but was somewhat surprised that he received very little play last year. Based on the Cowboy’s refusal to play Deuce last year, one would assume that the Cowboys are not really counting on him this season to do a lot.

On the other hand, unless Zeke has regained his burst, some RB has to be guy capable of taking it to the house. I don’t think that’s Dowdle.

Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB, or is this just a feel good story that never went anywhere?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A RB with speed and ability to take it to the house isn't on the roster. but that doesn't mean all 3 can't have roles.

Rico gets the bulk of carries, probably 3-3.5 yards per carry
Zeke short yardage and goal line carries, solid blocker probably 3 yards a carry
Vaughn needs to become the pass catcher out the backfield. and find other ways to get him involved in space.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I still believe in Deuce. I don’t think he got much of an opportunity last year.

Half the time when he carried the ball last year, tacklers were instantly in the backfield. He was being met before the LOS.

Deuce needs a hole to run through that allows him to get up to speed, and then he can break guys ankles. His side to side ability in the open field is where he shines.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I still believe. His highlights are as good or better than anyone in this draft class. The issue is he looked really small when he got playing time last year. If he get met at or behind the line, it is pretty much a wasted play. But give him a crease and he is as good as almost anyone in the league in open space. Pass blocking is also going to be a real weakness. I hope he gets a chance though. On the other hand, he needs to earn a roster spot as well.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I was a fan of Vaughn’s play at KState, but was somewhat surprised that he received very little play last year. Based on the Cowboy’s refusal to play Deuce last year, one would assume that the Cowboys are not really counting on him this season to do a lot.

On the other hand, unless Zeke has regained his burst, some RB has to be guy capable of taking it to the house. I don’t think that’s Dowdle.

Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB, or is this just a feel good story that never went anywhere?
why? we already saw that he is not capable. he is 3rd, 4th on depth chart. when real games started, his gimmicky play doesn't work.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still believe in Deuce. I don’t think he got much of an opportunity last year.

Half the time when he carried the ball last year, tacklers were instantly in the backfield. He was being met before the LOS.

Deuce needs a hole to run through that allows him to get up to speed, and then he can break guys ankles. His side to side ability in the open field is where he shines.
That wasnt just duece or last year.

You could have prime dickerson but without solid scrimmage blocking it wont matter.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He might be the most talented back we have. His size is limiting him and this blocking scheme does him no favors.
Our run blocking / run philosophy has done no one any favors since Frederick left. It's easy to make fun of the RBs but they ALL struggled...for the same reason.

YEs it's true people...RB's need a hole,and at least now and then not tackled on the hand-off

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

No. Other then a few good run, Deuce was a liability. I seriously doubt he even makes the rostee