Cowboys counting on Deuce Vaughn?

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Pretty sure when the Cowboys were pondering what to do at RB, thoughts of Deuce didn't move the needle one way or the other.

Also, is there any chance we can curtail the, "we need to find ways to get Deuce the ball in space" comments? The last thing I want our coaching staff doing is wasting time scheming ways to simply get him the ball in space. Sorry, he's just not that dynamic at this level, and this isn't youth soccer where everyone gets playing time, a participation trophy, orange slices, and a juice box. Besides, he'd look foolish being the only person needing two hands to hold the darn juice box.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I can't imagine how anyone could have watched Vaughn last year and come away thinking he'll play a large role this year. He was just tossed around. Great story but that's about it to me.

sbark

Reaction score
I think Luepke has a better chance to do something in the NFL than Vaughn. Nothing against the kid but he got a bad break being so small. When he runs it looks like the length of his legs is holding him back. His best chance is being able to hide behind the OL, but that didn't seem to work well for him last season.
Agree
If we are transitioning to a smashmouth team....a m.Allstot clone is what we hammer with.
Luepke steadily improved in pass blocking.
Shows the ability to press a gap & bounce to daylight for a 250# guy.

He earns some carries ...see where it csn go from there

visionary

Reaction score
I was a fan of Vaughn’s play at KState, but was somewhat surprised that he received very little play last year. Based on the Cowboy’s refusal to play Deuce last year, one would assume that the Cowboys are not really counting on him this season to do a lot.

On the other hand, unless Zeke has regained his burst, some RB has to be guy capable of taking it to the house. I don’t think that’s Dowdle.

Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB, or is this just a feel good story that never went anywhere?
Why would you not count on a RB who should not even be on the roster?

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
I still believe.

The biggest problem for Deuce is that you can't count on him to pick up the blitz. That COULD be a 6'2" 290 pound DE or a 255 pound LB. Deuce is 5'6" and weighs 176.

For those saying that he is just too small to play in the NFL, I would like to point at KaVontae Turpin, who is 5'9" and 153 pounds. But we don't ask Turpin to block 290 pound DEs.

You have to use him like Lance Dunbar.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Those here crapping on Deuce are barking up the wrong tree. Deuce is the least of your problems and liabilities on this team. Start with your overpaid QB who chokes in the big games, and go down the list....one who wants to be the highest paid defensive player in history who is gassed by the 15th game and is a shell of himself coming down the stretch and in the playoffs.. or the receiver who is waiting so he can also be the highest paid receiver in the league although he disappears in the bigger games and playoffs as well. Those are the ones who are the liabilities..... Deuce is a 6th round pick making peanuts, is one of several RB by committee, used very little and not properly behind a porous OL, is small and does not take up much space and fits in most overhead storage bins in the plane... so leave Deuce alone. It's like complaining about body odor while shoveling manure at a hog farm.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was a fan of Vaughn’s play at KState, but was somewhat surprised that he received very little play last year. Based on the Cowboy’s refusal to play Deuce last year, one would assume that the Cowboys are not really counting on him this season to do a lot.
Connecting some dots with that analysis aren't you!

Maybe the Cowboys have an actual plan this year.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Those here crapping on Deuce are barking up the wrong tree. Deuce is the least of your problems and liabilities on this team. Start with your overpaid QB who chokes in the big games, and go down the list....one who wants to be the highest paid defensive player in history who is gassed by the 15th game and is a shell of himself coming down the stretch and in the playoffs.. or the receiver who is waiting so he can also be the highest paid receiver in the league although he disappears in the bigger games and playoffs as well. Those are the ones who are the liabilities..... Deuce is a 6th round pick making peanuts, is one of several RB by committee, used very little and not properly behind a porous OL, is small and does not take up much space and fits in most overhead storage bins in the plane... so leave Deuce alone. It's like complaining about body odor while shoveling manure at a hog farm.
Probably crapping on him cuz it’s a thread specifically about him. Otherwise, you’re right. In the grand scheme of things it’s a who cares.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score

On the other hand, unless Zeke has regained his burst, some RB has to be guy capable of taking it to the house. I don’t think that’s Dowdle.

Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB, or is this just a feel good story that never went anywhere?
We aren't counting on Deuce and Zeke won't be regaining his form. It's gonna be Dowdle and Zeke plodding all season

starfan1

Reaction score
with Turpin on the roster there is little to no need for vaughn. What a underwhelming pick. Ya it made for a great war room moment but he wont make it

CWR

Reaction score
He asked, we answered. Nobody asked what the underlying problems were with the team. That's a whole different discussion that always concludes on the clowns in the FO.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Deuce was drafted because he Dad works for the team and it was a fantastic feel good story that made Jerruh look like a saint for a while. It has nothing to do with football.
By the time he was drafted any player picked was a shot in the dark. Nobody is drafted that doesn't have some NFL attributes for the position, Deuce is not exception. He could have a role on the Cowboys or some other team, but it will be limited, that's for sure.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
thats fair but he never received any meaningful reps last year, and it was behind a terrible run blocking line. Everything Pollard did he had to improvise or bounce it outside.
So Deuce couldn't do the same? If not, he's near worthless....