Cowboys counting on Deuce Vaughn?

deerhunter11

Reaction score
He got very little play because he’s very little and produced very little. He adds very little.

Agree
If we are transitioning to a smashmouth team....a m.Allstot clone is what we hammer with.
Luepke steadily improved in pass blocking.
Shows the ability to press a gap & bounce to daylight for a 250# guy.

He earns some carries ...see where it csn go from there
Me too I am ready for some smash mouth offensive football. I am excited about Luepke in an Allstot tipe role. And the way Dallas drafted, it looks like they may have that very thing in mind.Dallas may fool everyone and become a balanced offense, we know we can throw the ball.

rambo2

Reaction score
I was a fan of Vaughn’s play at KState, but was somewhat surprised that he received very little play last year. Based on the Cowboy’s refusal to play Deuce last year, one would assume that the Cowboys are not really counting on him this season to do a lot.

On the other hand, unless Zeke has regained his burst, some RB has to be guy capable of taking it to the house. I don’t think that’s Dowdle.

Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB, or is this just a feel good story that never went anywhere?
He should get a lot of snaps in the preseason.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I still think he can play. He proved it in college and given the chance he'll prove it in the NFL

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
First thing they want from a back is pass pro, so Deuce is in a huge dis advantage there, only time you can put huge and Deuce in a sentence.

Motorola

Reaction score
Agree
If we are transitioning to a smashmouth team....a m.Allstot clone is what we hammer with.
Luepke steadily improved in pass blocking.
Shows the ability to press a gap & bounce to daylight for a 250# guy.

He earns some carries ...see where it csn go from there
Hunter Luepke- 6-1, 238 lbs

GMO415

Reaction score
I was a fan of Vaughn’s play at KState, but was somewhat surprised that he received very little play last year. Based on the Cowboy’s refusal to play Deuce last year, one would assume that the Cowboys are not really counting on him this season to do a lot.

On the other hand, unless Zeke has regained his burst, some RB has to be guy capable of taking it to the house. I don’t think that’s Dowdle.

Do you think that the Cowboys plan to give Deuce an actual shot at RB, or is this just a feel good story that never went anywhere?
At 5-03"? Dude is a joke.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
A RB with speed and ability to take it to the house isn't on the roster. but that doesn't mean all 3 can't have roles.

Rico gets the bulk of carries, probably 3-3.5 yards per carry
Zeke short yardage and goal line carries, solid blocker probably 3 yards a carry
Vaughn needs to become the pass catcher out the backfield. and find other ways to get him involved in space.
Elliott is making $3 million. Dowdle is making $1.2 million. Follow the money. Zeke is your lead back. Dallas isn't paying Elliott a couple million more than Rico to just be the short-yardage and goal-line back.

gimmesix

Reaction score

Vaughn has the best chance of being a change-up to Elliott, but it's hard to figure out his role. Is he good enough in pass protection to be the third-down option? Not based on last year. I think Vaughn has to seize the backup back from Dowdle, and I don't know if he'll get that chance. Right now, he's got to beat out Freeman for the third back role, and that may depend a lot on special teams.

Proof

Reaction score
why? we already saw that he is not capable. he is 3rd, 4th on depth chart. when real games started, his gimmicky play doesn't work.
we saw him play behind the b and c team line when teams were keyed in on the run. i don’t have a ton of faith in him, but he is talented and the line is vastly improved. i think there’s going to be some wrinkles in the playbook for him and hunter

Proof

Reaction score
Elliott is making $3 million. Dowdle is making $1.2 million. Follow the money. Zeke is your lead back. Dallas isn't paying Elliott a couple million more than Rico to just be the short-yardage and goal-line back.
i do t think that’s enough money to follow.

gimmesix

Reaction score
i do t think that’s enough money to follow.
I think you always have to follow the money. We're paying Dowdle to be a backup. What we're paying Elliott is what this front office thinks a starting RB is worth.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Deuce was drafted because he Dad works for the team and it was a fantastic feel good story that made Jerruh look like a saint for a while. It has nothing to do with football.
You’re wrong.

Vaughn is a baller.

Vaughn was in competition with Turpin last year. It had nothing to do with his ability to play RB.

ICP

Reaction score
The featherweight is going to carry the team! LOL

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Deuce had me fooled during preseason. Not falling for it again.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
are you serious? he got in a few games and just couldn't get anything done. what? you want a 100 carries and touches? 23 attempts for 40 yards. 7 receptioons for 40 yards. about 5.7....seriously
I'm dead serious. He only got a handful of carries in a poor blocking scheme and horrible play calling when he was in there. He was given no chance to succeed. NONE. There was no scheme for him like Big Mike said there would be. They put him in obvious run plays and consistently got hit at the LOS. It was ridiculous the situation they put him in. It was extremely disappointing the lack of plan the Cowboys had for him. It's the HC's job to put players in a position to be their best and he screwed the pooch with Deuce.

Watch some his games at K-St and see how he is to properly be used. Had the Cowboys done that with Deuce last year everything would have been different.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Luepke stated after last season MM asked him to get up toward 250
Yeah, he can be the type of fullback McCarthy has had before and that would be good for both our running and passing game. Depending on Schoonmaker's development, I really wouldn't mind seeing us use a fullback set more than a two-tight end set, especially if we're going to try to establish a power running game up the middle.

XXLMike

Reaction score
By far the worst player in the NFL deuce Vaughn, what a waste of oxygen we all spent on this guy.