Cowboys DE for 2017

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously 2017 not 2817.

I was looking at free agent outside pass rushers.

It occurred to me that a Jerry type move would be to bring Ware back.

He is 34 and was having trouble staying healthy when he departed the Cowboys, but it seems like something Jerry might do.

I would not expect him to be super expensive considering his age.

Would he be good here? They could limit his snaps to mostly passing downs.

If not Ware, then who would be a good fit?
Chandler Jones will likely be franchised.
How good is Jabaal Sheard?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Obviously 2017 not 2817.

He is 34 and was having trouble staying healthy when he departed the Cowboys, but it seems like something Jerry might do.

I like the thought of Ware. He can really effectivness as a pass rusher by becoming a subpackage rusher like John Abraham did. We also have solid run down DEs for him to platoon with. I think you can 2 seasons of 10+ sacks out of him as a sub package rusher.

I think there is a very good chance he comes back here in that role. It all depends on if someone is willing to give him a deal similar to what Denver did. I dont think so, but you never know with rushers. I dont see Denver bringing him back because with Miller and Shane Ray coming on, they wont spend alot of money on a 3rd rusher when they dont need to sub either on passing downs

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Obviously 2017 not 2817.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Melvin Ingram from SD. But like Jones, he is a strong tag candidate

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Not much in FA next year...

There's :
Chandler jones
Nick perry
D ware
Julius Peppers
Jabal Shead

The problem with all these guys is they play in a 3-4 defense. I don't really see much help coming except maybe VIA trade. Maybe could package Romo for a DE. Better hope a DE falls to us in draft.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Something about Ware to remember.....when he got to Denver he talked about how things were done differently there. He could bring that experience. Also he has a Super Bowl ring and been through all that. He could bring that experience. He should be welcomed with open arms back to the Cowboys.

Common Sense

Reaction score
All I did was look at 2017 free agent DEs on Over the Cap. Here are the ones that look like McClay-style signings based on age, measurements, and stats. Don't be surprised if we kick the tires on at least one of them. The Lions are going to have to let at least one productive DE go.

Jacquies Smith, Tampa Bay (RFA)
Kerry Hyder, Detroit (ERFA)
Devin Taylor, Detroit (UFA)
Armonty Bryant, Detroit (UFA)
Denim Autry, Oakland (RFA)
William Gholston, Tampa Bay (UFA)
Wes Horton, Carolina (UFA)
Jabaal Sheard, New England (UFA)
Tyson Alaulu, Jacksonville (UFA)
Andre Branch, Miama (UFA)

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Something about Ware to remember.....when he got to Denver he talked about how things were done differently there. He could bring that experience. Also he has a Super Bowl ring and been through all that. He could bring that experience. He should be welcomed with open arms back to the Cowboys.

I'd most definitely bring him back, wanted to this past offseason, but Denver kept him.

fwiw, even with him being injured this year, he would be 0.5 a sack away from leading the team in sacks...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All I did was look at 2017 free agent DEs on Over the Cap. Here are the ones that look like McClay-style signings based on age, measurements, and stats. Don't be surprised if we kick the tires on at least one of them. The Lions are going to have to let at least one productive DE go.

Jacquies Smith, Tampa Bay (RFA)
Kerry Hyder, Detroit (ERFA)
Devin Taylor, Detroit (UFA)
Armonty Bryant, Detroit (UFA)
Denim Autry, Oakland (RFA)
William Gholston, Tampa Bay (UFA)
Wes Horton, Carolina (UFA)
Jabaal Sheard, New England (UFA)
Tyson Alaulu, Jacksonville (UFA)
Andre Branch, Miama (UFA)
RFAs or ERFAs won't be available unless they suck.

Some of those UFAs have abysmal sack numbers.

Jabaal Sheard is obviously the top guy on that list.

Devin Taylor is interesting but probably more of a Strong Side DE which is not what the Cowboys need.

Andre Branch has had a disappointing career relative to expectations but might have something in the right scheme.

Common Sense

Reaction score
RFAs or ERFAs won't be available unless they suck.

Some of those UFAs have abysmal sack numbers.

Jabaal Sheard is obviously the top guy on that list.

Devin Taylor is interesting but probably more of a Strong Side DE which is not what the Cowboys need.

Andre Branch has had a disappointing career relative to expectations but might have something in the right scheme.

Yeah, for the restricted free agents, I was thinking more along the lines of potential trades. I imagine they'll be pretty aggressive in trying to bolster the pass rush this offseason.

In terms of some of the guys with iffy production, someone like Denico Autry might be considered the SDE equivalent of a Benson Mayowa. Or he might not, who knows? We do know they're going to bring in a head scratcher or two during free agency, because that's par for the course.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, for the restricted free agents, I was thinking more along the lines of potential trades. I imagine they'll be pretty aggressive in trying to bolster the pass rush this offseason.

In terms of some of the guys with iffy production, someone like Denico Autry might be considered the SDE equivalent of a Benson Mayowa. Or he might not, who knows? We do know they're going to bring in a head scratcher or two during free agency, because that's par for the course.
I think they'll make a legit attempt to get an RDE. This season they thought Gregory would be back after 4 games and that Gregory + Mayowa would provide a decent RDE option. I think they now know they can't depend on that solution.

They did try to draft a DE in the 2nd round which was almost a first round pick due to their draft position.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think they'll make a legit attempt to get an RDE. This season they thought Gregory would be back after 4 games and that Gregory + Mayowa would provide a decent RDE option. I think they now know they can't depend on that solution.

They did try to draft a DE in the 2nd round which was almost a first round pick due to their draft position.
What they do at DE is going to be one of the more interesting narratives of the offseason. Ware to me seems the most logical, but they could surpise us and pursue Chandler Jones/Melvin Ingram/Jabaal Sheard as well.

I dont think they will count on the draft for immediate help. Thats not to say they wont use a first round pick on an edge rusher. But edge rushers, even the top prospects, tend to be more of project then most other positions. You may get Bosa and Floyd like production, but it's worth noting JJ Watt and Khalil Mack combined for fewer then 10 sacks as a rookie.

Thats where I like Ware. You can take a guy who may have similar career trajectory to a Dee Ford and not be forced to rely on him to be your horse day 1 of camp

John813

Reaction score
IMO Branch has looked good for Miami. Good as in, not someone you give a lot of money to, but as an average starter/depth guy.

I could see Ware as a 3rd down guy, but we would definitely need someone else, short and long term. Maybe it's Tapper, but not putting too much stock in him.