Twitter: Cowboys Defense Blitz Rate

DanA

Reaction score
Dan Quinn has frequently used stunts but generally been a low percentage user of blitzes in his career. In saying that, we've got Micah, Jaylon, Wilson, Lewis, and Brown who I think are all very good to send on the blitz.

Motorola

Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys have been aggressive on defense since the Rob Ryan days. That didn't work out too well, but I trust Dan Quinn to do things right.
Dan Quinn has frequently used stunts but generally been a low percentage user of blitzes in his career. In saying that, we've got Micah, Jaylon, Wilson, Lewis, and Brown who I think are all very good to send on the blitz.
On the other hand, new Falcons DC Dean Pees left no doubt about what he wants his "Dirty Birds" defense to be. He was sending LBs and DBs into the backfield from the get go in their first preseason game against the Titans.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like that they may blitz more. However for the last 20 years it has been….almost got there….and they gave up a 1st down. And when they did get to the QB, there was a defensive penalty.

Tell me that will be different, and I may be more excited over it.
So I hope Quinn has the answer to the elusive success of it. I have some hopes it will happen.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think as the season progresses you'll see the coordinator fall back into his comfort zone. Which is not blitzing.

JBS

Reaction score
@windward and I discussed this. I was surprised because Quinn’s defenses have not been blitz-heavy.

To be fair, Quinn did say after he got fired he spent a lot of time self analyzing. Kind of like fat mike when he hunkered down w his pals and watched every snap of every game when he was unemployed.

So Quinn probably got all the analytics and nerd stats down on what to do on third downs to win. We basically have the best analytickers in the nfl

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have to have at least the THREAT of an effective blitz

Opposing offenses haven’t had to game plan for that in many, many years from us

True but I think we need to go a step further and actually blitz regularly. We have guys who can do it well. Including defensive backs like Lewis and Wilson.

Right now Quinn is blitzing. His history says that will change.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly it will be comical to see Micah chase down Brady and realize they are the same species.

plasticman

Reaction score
The blitz plays require more cohesion and precise timing. Therefore, they require more practice and preseason games give the coaches an opportunity to view the results in real time. It's only natural that we would see them working on blitzes more frequently during the preseason.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have been thinking—wouldn’t it be something —if it was Parsons, in his first NFL start, who hammered Brady, and broke him in half, ending his season, and causing him to retire—and at the same time ushering in a new era doomsday Cowboys defense with him at the head of the spear?

Micah will be the LaVar Arrington to Brady's Troy Aikman.

Its a Penn St. LB thing.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True but I think we need to go a step further and actually blitz regularly. We have guys who can do it well. Including defensive backs like Lewis and Wilson.

Right now Quinn is blitzing. His history says that will change.

PS game experiments. See how they do and how it works. Then go from there as to incorporate in a game plan, and how often.