Twitter: Cowboys Defensive Tendancies

conner01

Reaction score
some of this is forced because of missing guys and poor LB play.
Exactly
And we have DB who play better against the run than our LB does so it’s actually pretty smart
You have who you have so scheme around what you have
I think Nolan’s biggest issue was forcing his scheme rather than scheming around the players you have
Quinn’s defense here is not what he ran in Seattle because he was smart enough to design around the talent
Don’t gorse square pegs in round holes
And Moore is doing similar with the offense
And MM is letting them do what they do best
And we are winning
It just seems so logical

conner01

Reaction score
Best defense is offense.

Both work best together.
Just like the pass rush vs coverage arguments
You need both to be succeful
Both aren’t gonna win every time but your hope is one is winning the majority of plays so it all works

glimmerman

Reaction score
Get these players back and ease them in. Don’t expect instant improvement. I don’t.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Part of it seems to have been planned from the beginning. We brought in both Neal and Kearse apparently with the idea of playing them as pseudo-linebackers, so we're in nickel and dime looks a majority of the time, but we're actually playing three LBs (Parsons, Neal and Kearse) with Kazee, Hooker and now Wilson rotating as the two safeties. The decision to play bigger safeties as linebacker/safeties is throwing teams off because you don't want to run against a stacked box, but we're stacking it with hybrid safeties who can more easily drop into pass coverage.

I think Quinn may be ahead of the curve on this. With teams passing more, it makes more sense to use safeties who can play the run but also cover some over traditional linebackers who are bigger liabilities in coverage. Even Cox fits that mold although he's a traditional linebacker.

nice observations

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
And we thought when Quinn was hired we would be a zone cover 3 team? Quinn's scheme has evolved to more of a modern one.

I saw clips on Twitter where one play against the Vikes we only rushed TWO players, dropped NINE in coverage. Cousins was totally confused ...lol

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Pretty interesting stuff:

Lots of good stuff but that one I like most is #1 in stunts… don’t think we’ve ever been close to the top in this?

Even when Parcells was Coach and predominant 3-4. Good for Quinn! Make it hard for the offense!

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Part of it seems to have been planned from the beginning. We brought in both Neal and Kearse apparently with the idea of playing them as pseudo-linebackers, so we're in nickel and dime looks a majority of the time, but we're actually playing three LBs (Parsons, Neal and Kearse) with Kazee, Hooker and now Wilson rotating as the two safeties. The decision to play bigger safeties as linebacker/safeties is throwing teams off because you don't want to run against a stacked box, but we're stacking it with hybrid safeties who can more easily drop into pass coverage.

I think Quinn may be ahead of the curve on this. With teams passing more, it makes more sense to use safeties who can play the run but also cover some over traditional linebackers who are bigger liabilities in coverage. Even Cox fits that mold although he's a traditional linebacker.

Our team has innovated both offense as well as defense. Quinn has also thrown in wrinkles to the defense that other teams haven't seen before. Minnesota's offense is pretty good. We stifled them and kept them in check the entire game. They couldn't go deep and Parsons single-handedly took care of the screens and flats. Those plays usually killed us for big plays. I no longer see that as a weakness of our team anymore thanks to Parsons.

817Gill

Reaction score
Lots of good stuff but that one I like most is #1 in stunts… don’t think we’ve ever been close to the top in this?

Even when Parcells was Coach and predominant 3-4. Good for Quinn! Make it hard for the offense!
Marinelli liked to stunt but his issue was they were super predictable in design and in what situation they were deployed. Fortunately, Quin has been creative with his in both aspects.

dogberry

Reaction score
The fines go to charity?

Does the,player pick the charity?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I saw clips on Twitter where one play against the Vikes we only rushed TWO players, dropped NINE in coverage. Cousins was totally confused ...lol
I read about Quinn's scheme in Seattle in the off-season, it is completely different here with the Cowboys. More press coverage, more blitzing. Really hope he stays at least 1 more season to finish the rebuild before he departs.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I read about Quinn's scheme in Seattle in the off-season, it is completely different here with the Cowboys. More press coverage, more blitzing. Really hope he stays at least 1 more season to finish the rebuild before he departs.

Unless we win the SB, I think he stays at least one more season for a couple of reasons. I don't there will be as many HC opening next season as what we usually see. Interestingly most of the top candidates we are hearing are defensive coor. So I think we are safe from losing him for now.