Cowboys' DeMarcus Lawrence in store for another great season

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really really good article about DLaw. He is among the best in the NFL against the run and he wins battles and creates pressure. He is more valuable to the Cowboys than most think.

Cowboys’ DeMarcus Lawrence in store for another great season
Reid Hanson
July 17, 2024

1422929855.jpg

DeMarcus Lawrence has been a polarizing figure in Cowboys Nation for years. The four-time Pro Bowler is now entering his 11th NFL season, and his durability has allowed him to play in at least 16 games in seven of those. He’s been a team leader and consummate professional throughout his time in Dallas and has been well compensated every step of the way.

He’s one of the most complete defensive ends in the league today, yet many in the fanbase look at him with some level of disdain. To them, low sack numbers are too hard to ignore. Lawrence has yet to log a double-digit sack season since he signed that five-year, $105,000,000 contract in the offseason of 2019. Despite making the Pro Bowl in each of the last two seasons, Lawrence has logged a grand total of just 10 sacks over the last 34 regular season games.

Despite the paltry sack numbers, Lawrence has been named an all-star for a reason. He’s a great player.

Much more: https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...ations/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Lawrence is great at doing the dirty work that doesn't always show up on the stat sheet. He's one guy you can say cares about stopping the run and delivers. But his days of being a major threat to the QB are over. If having help from Parsons didn't rejuvenate that threat, it's not coming back. Still a very valuable player for what he does and I'm happy we still have him. Gotta start thinking about his replacement though.

CWR

Reaction score
Hes a great player and his contributions are undervalued by much of the fanbase.

I don't think Hotboyz were great optics considering our lack of success, AND I don't know how much of a leader he is. Parsons could have used a strong leader imo. That time is probably past.

In any event I look forward to watching him play and contribute vs the run and pass.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Absolute turd. He would be good as an overpaid 2 year mercenary on a championship team. As a leader he has been nothing short of toxic.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I have said a number of times that I was critical of some of his actions & comments earlier in his career. However, in recent years, he has re-earned my respect as a player that comes to play each & every game and absolutely makes an impact. I don't hold the lack of sacks against him like many do. He is affecting the QB, allowing others to have an easier path to the QB and often would have gotten the sack if someone else doesn't get there a tenth of a second before him. And he plays the run exceptionally well. I like a player that "shows" me more than "tells" me. That is what he has become IMO.

gtb1943

Reaction score
He had never been a great player. A very good one at time. Nothing more. It is true he does a lot of dirty work but that is mainly because as a pass rusher he is not all that

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
He's brought consistency to an otherwise turnstile like defensive line. Not an elite player, but he's really good at what he does, and does well to create opportunity for others. Glad to have him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kneeland was drafted as his replacement. Or that was reported by a few people.

Draw can still contribute though in a big way. I used to get down on him at times. But overall he has been solid.

He will be a good mentor to Kneeland and Sam Williams if he matures enough.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
DFlaw is a cancer. Brings that business mentallity to the franchise. Others follow.

And never was a good player. Well he had 8 good games in his contract year. But for his career thats it.

When he didnt produce his fanboys said well he has no help. When he has help now he "is doing all the dirty work nobody sees". But still doesnt produce.

Is good against the run if not handled by RTs. 50% of the time he gets TEs with help from RBs. Thats when he shows up on film. Else he is a no show. Has one good game, then disapears in the next three, but his image lives thru the media-clowns who talk him up during those periods. What i see is that oposing teams dont take him serious.

But he knows how to advertise himself. If you fall for that i can understand why you like him.

Last edited:

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I just hope he's not too TIRED to perform the first playoff game like he said last season.....his own words, not mines.

Team Leader.......not
He said that about the team in general, not himself. If you actually watch the game he was one of the few players who actually showed up. That was a bad comment but I'm sure he is searching for answers to the inexplicable no-show most of the team did against GB just like the rest of us.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I think he is a very good player, reminds me of Greg Ellis. Very technically sound, good motor, but doesn't have the elite pass rushing skills people want to see.

gtb1943

Reaction score
He said that about the team in general, not himself. If you actually watch the game he was one of the few players who actually showed up. That was a bad comment but I'm sure he is searching for answers to the inexplicable no-show most of the team did against GB just like the rest of us.
searching for EXCUSES since as far as I know NO OTHER PLAYER IN ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS said they were tired

TexasBacon

Reaction score
searching for EXCUSES since as far as I know NO OTHER PLAYER IN ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS said they were tired
Call it what you will, he showed up to play unlike 90% of the team. It is very inexplicable how so many just didn't show up for the biggest game of the year so I'm sure he was just trying to quantify that and put his foot in his mouth. He shouldn't have made that comment but it doesn't change anything about him as a player who is a huge asset to this team, especially in their current state. You can all-capps internet tough guy yell about it all you want, he's a damn good player.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Ahh, yes...I'm sure Toy "Tired" Tank will have a breakout season. Getting paid huge money to do those "little things".

fivetwos

Reaction score
I just hope he's not too TIRED to perform the first playoff game like he said last season.....his own words, not mines.

Team Leader.......not
I was about to say the same.

It all started with Jerry thinking he could turn him into a sack guy by paying him that way.

Same as he didnt need to draft OL high because Hudson Houck was the highest paid OL coach in the league.

I pay them, so they ought to perform. Pure delusion.