Cowboys don't run enough but all SF does is run?

Zman5

Reaction score
They throw a lot of short passes, screens etc.

This is true. Deebo Samuels has more YAC (Yards after catch) than YBC (total distance ball travelled in the air before catch). That is rare for a receiver to have more YAC yards than the YBC.

For comparison:

D. Samuel 637 YBC, 768 YAC, 1405 yards total
C. Cupp 1101 YBC, 846 YAC, 1947 yards total
D. Adams 962 YBC, 592 YAC, 1553 yards total
J. Jefferson 1134 YBC, 482 YAC, 1616 yards total
CD Lamb 661 YBC, 441YAC, 1102 yards total

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Its a lot of bogus narratives going on with the 49ers..Acho I heard say they will beat any team in the NFC not named the Packers..s...i'm just at a loss of words.....how the hell were they not undefeated?
Not Seattle (twice.) Not Arizona (twice.)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The narrative is we don't run enough and that's all SF does and that makes SF more "physical" offense and the Cowboys a "finesse" offense.
So, I looked up how much SF run more than us. I also looked up the Titans stats to see how it compares since that's the team I consider "physical". I was pleasantly surprised.

Code:
           Att    Yds    TD    Y/A
49ners    499    2166    22    4.3
Cowboys   473    2119    15    4.5
Titans    551    2404    23    4.4

Niners only ran 26 more times than us this season. That's 1.5 more attempt a game. And they actually only gained 47 yards more which comes out to be 2.7 yards total more per game.

Would we also be called a "physical" offense by the media had we attempted to run 1.5 more and gained 2.7 more yards per game?
If anything, we are a "Balanced" offense passing 59% and running 41%.
I've double-checked your numbers and they are good. You ask good questions and I appreciate your analysis. The concept that the 9ers are a more "physical" team is indeed a media-driven fallacy. I believe the Cowboys are a more capable offensive team. Let's be honest here, if the 9ers were capable of doing what the Cowboys do on offense, they'd be doing it. They do what they do because that's all they can do. Shame on us if we can't prepare for that and shut it down.

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Media and fans as usual, licking the feet of the opposition in the playoffs to downgrade and negate the 12-5, 2021 NFC East Champion Cowboys. I am glad and certain our players and coaches will not be defeated and submissive to their opponent as most of the media and some of our fellow zoners. According to some people in multiple forums, we might as well not even show up! Give me a break. Stay out of sports with that mentality.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The 49ers could beat us, it's going to be a good match up, but the biggest accomplishment I see is them beating LA twice this season. Because them losing to Seattle and Arizona twice in their division makes them making the playoffs being third in their division seem silly.
I hope we stomp a mudhole in San Fran.

Cumart21

Reaction score
The NFC West plays big boy football and I'm concerned about our offensive line getting pushed around. It wasn't good against the Cardinals defensive front and we just ok against the Birds backups.

I don't buy into any media narratives and go by what I see. Concerned but still optimistic! Let's go Cowboys!

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Its a lot of bogus narratives going on with the 49ers..Acho I heard say they will beat any team in the NFC not named the Packers..s...i'm just at a loss of words.....how the hell were they not undefeated?

I get that the Niners should be viewed as a very tough and formidable team. But at the same time the media is talking about them like they're unbeatable and invincible and as if they went 17-0.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Zeke knee getting healthier and the rest Pollard got this past week will be a big help in Dallas running the ball

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I get that the Niners should be viewed as a very tough and formidable team. But at the same time the media is talking about them like they're unbeatable and invincible and as if they went 17-0.
Man its boggling my mind. Like the damn team lost games this year....they talk better about them then the Packers.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I was listening to Broaddus a minute ago and he said the Cowboys just need to make them one dimensional by scoring. Get them out of the run game. He thinks Dak will have a lot of luck against there secondary too.

That is the key. If we go out there and put up early offense like we did so many times where we did nada, this feeds into what SF wants to do. Get a lead on them and put pressure on Jimmy G to have to make plays.

Aven8

Reaction score
That is the key. If we go out there and put up early offense like we did so many times where we did nada, this feeds into what SF wants to do. Get a lead on them and put pressure on Jimmy G to have to make plays.

Last week the Rams got up 17-0. The continued to run but the passing game is what worked last week. The Defense is what won that game IMO. LA only scored 7 points the rest of the game, while they scored 27 from the end of the half on. But that’s the Rams. They own the Rams and have for the past 6 games.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Last week the Rams got up 17-0. The continued to run but the passing game is what worked last week. The Defense is what won that game IMO. LA only scored 7 points the rest of the game, while they scored 27 from the end of the half on. But that’s the Rams. They own the Rams and have for the past 6 games.

The Niners can't get down by double digits to the Cowboys or any NFC playoff team and believe that they'll always be able to come back and get a win. They'll be in trouble against an offense that won't let the foot off of the gas pedal or commit turnovers to allow them to get back in the game.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The narrative is we don't run enough and that's all SF does and that makes SF more "physical" offense and the Cowboys a "finesse" offense.
So, I looked up how much SF run more than us. I also looked up the Titans stats to see how it compares since that's the team I consider "physical". I was pleasantly surprised.

Code:
           Att    Yds    TD    Y/A
49ners    499    2166    22    4.3
Cowboys   473    2119    15    4.5
Titans    551    2404    23    4.4

Niners only ran 26 more times than us this season. That's 1.5 more attempt a game. And they actually only gained 47 yards more which comes out to be 2.7 yards total more per game.

Would we also be called a "physical" offense by the media had we attempted to run 1.5 more and gained 2.7 more yards per game?
If anything, we are a "Balanced" offense passing 59% and running 41%.
The issue isnt we dont run enough its when and how we run and the fact that KM abandons the run quickly in games. We built a lot of those stats during the 6-0 run but down the stretch after the bye KM has not seemed to care about having a run game. That is what worries me. him becoming unbalanced and pass happy during stretches of the game even if the run game is working. he gets cute goes away from it.

Zman5

Reaction score
The issue isnt we dont run enough its when and how we run and the fact that KM abandons the run quickly in games. We built a lot of those stats during the 6-0 run but down the stretch after the bye KM has not seemed to care about having a run game. That is what worries me. him becoming unbalanced and pass happy during stretches of the game even if the run game is working. he gets cute goes away from it.

Total run attempts for each team in last 6 games:

Niners 169
Cowboys 166.

We ran 3 times less in last 6 games than the Niners yet they are a "Physical" offense, and we are a "Finesse" offense according to the narrative.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Total run attempts for each team in last 6 games:

Niners 169
Cowboys 166.

We ran 3 times less in last 6 games than the Niners yet they are a "Physical" offense, and we are a "Finesse" offense according to the narrative.
IM saying its not just the stat to see its what was the YPC what types of runs were they and how many were succssful etc..i said its not the amount its the type and how they were designed etc running 3 times up the middle for 7 yards and punt is not the same as the run being a weapon. example was how we ran in that 6-0 run vs this last 6..night and day the execution is not there. The YPC is way down

the OC and OL are huge part of that,

Zman5

Reaction score
IM saying its not just the stat to see its what was the YPC what types of runs were they and how many were succssful etc..i said its not the amount its the type and how they were designed etc running 3 times up the middle for 7 yards and punt is not the same as the run being a weapon. example was how we ran in that 6-0 run vs this last 6..night and day the execution is not there. The YPC is way down

the OC and OL are huge part of that,

All those things you mentioned has nothing to do with being more "physical" or "finesse" offense. Just because you are more successful at running doesn't mean you are more "physical". It might just mean you have a better or healthier talent at RB or OL. If Zeke and Pollard were healthy as they were in the beginning of the season, we would be much more successful now running.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
If that were true Zeke's regular season total rushing yards wouldn't be 1,002.