Cowboys don't strictly draft BPA

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Like most NFL teams, the Cowboys don't strictly draft BPA, but also take into consideration position need. Makes sense right?! Of course it does.

The 2016 draft board was leaked and according to this article, BPA was generally followed, but not always.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...as-cowboys-2016-draft-board-possibly-revealed

A running back, guard, and wide receiver had higher grades then Tapper, but instead of drafting BPA, the FO chose to address a need: DE. A guard, running back, and corner had higher ratings than Dak, but the Cowboys chose to address the back up QB position. See how that works. Forgot to add that Cook was rated higher than Malik but we chose defense

:dance::dance::dance:

image.png

Last edited:

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
There really shouldn't be any controversy or discussion here. When you need defensive players and the BPA at your pick is a center, guard, running back, or QB ( for the Cowboys), you choose a closely rated or mostly closely rated position of need.

:dance::dance::dance:

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that, too. They actually have kind of formulaic draft strategy.

1st round = BPA
2nd round = discount superstar risk
Middle Rounds = fill in ranks for areas of concern
Late Rounds = more fill-ins / high upside guys

I think their strategy is actually really good, except for the 2nd round. They swing for the fences there when they only need to get on base.

Hardline

Reaction score
I'm taking the BPA in the first round regardlessof position. Then I'll consider drafting for need in the later rounds.
If I'm on the clock and the 2nd best offensive tackle is setting there with the 5th best defensive end I'm taking the offensive tackle.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I'm taking the BPA in the first round regardlessof position. Then I'll consider drafting for need in the later rounds.
If I'm on the clock and the 2nd best offensive tackle is setting there with the 5th best defensive end I'm taking the offensive tackle.

Well given this year's strength at DE vs OT, I'm not so sure. Top 6 DEs are probably MGarrett, JAllen, DBarrett, SThomas, Takkarist McKinley and Taco Charlton. Top 2 OTs are Cam Robinson and Ryan Ramczyk, not sure if the 5th or 6th ranked DE isn't ranked about the same as one of those two. I even think a legit argument can be made for Charles Harris.

I do hope we spend either some quality free agency money on a RT or we spend a quality pick on one, but this DE class is just really deep imo.

I think all 7 of the aforementioned DEs are better prospects than Shaq Lawson, who they ranked 11th

Last edited:

Cowboys22

Reaction score
So, I'm just gonna say it, why have Driskel ranked ahead of Dak, when you are gonna take Dak?

From what I understand Will McClay puts the board together but when they are on the clock, everyone's gets a say. It's not hard to understand that players right next to each other on the board are so close that the room will be divided on which one to take. I don't see why they don't just rank the top 350 or so players in the exact order they would take them and not have to do anything on draft day but look to the name at the top of the list. All the arguements about who to take should already have been decided by draft day.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
From what I understand Will McClay puts the board together but when they are on the clock, everyone's gets a say. It's not hard to understand that players right next to each other on the board are so close that the room will be divided on which one to take. I don't see why they don't just rank the top 350 or so players in the exact order they would take them and not have to do anything on draft day but look to the name at the top of the list. All the arguements about who to take should already have been decided by draft day.

I get that, and certainly when it comes to different positions, it makes a bit more sense, but two QBs?

Temo

Reaction score
So, I'm just gonna say it, why have Driskel ranked ahead of Dak, when you are gonna take Dak?

It's a good point. Driskel wasn't even one of the 7 QBs they brought in for interviews (Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch, Christian Hackenberg, Jacoby Brissett, Connor Cook and Dak Prescott).

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
A strict ranking is only one piece of the draft board.

We don't have how they group players by tiers. We don't know how they evaluate the teams picking between them and their knowledge and understanding about who is likely to be available later. They also consider what they did earlier in the draft. For instance even the purest of BPA zealots would acknowledge that it'd be imprudent to draft 7 running backs if that's the way the draft lined up.

This is just an offseason article deadline that had to be met. Nothing much to see here.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I think part of what you are seeing is them having a good feel for the market value of these players. They may have have had Brown rated higher than Tapper and Dak, but may have felt Brown had a better chance of sliding to their pick in round 6 than the other two. The objective is to maximize value on an overall basis not just a single pick.

negativecreep

Reaction score
I think it turned out ok, this year...no more Tony Dixens or even worse Sherman Willams's this year I'm good. I actually have some faith in our scouts, been awhile. I want defense and depth...don't let us down JJ.