Cowboys draft Boom or Bust

rambo2

Reaction score
24 Tyler Smith--- I grew to like this pick as time goes by. Smith has strength, youth, intelligence, and a great work ethic. I think that he will be an upgrade over Connor Williams. I think that the odds on this turning out to being a good pick are pretty good.

56 Sam Williams--- This is a Dan Quinn pick and I trust Dan Quinn. Williams can certainly rush the passer and he has the speed to make plays all over the field. If he can stay out of trouble, he should pay dividends.

88 Jalen Tolbert--- This was outstanding value. He was ranked 59 on Dane Bugler's board. He is a complete receiver and is already a good route runner. He will be the 3rd receiver on this team and projects to be a good player.

129 Jake Ferguson--- This guy makes the tight end position better. He is a good receiver and a decent blocker. I like that they didn't trade up for one of the other tight ends. By not trading up they were able to keep their 5th round picks which got them Clark and Ridgeway.

155 Matt Waletzko--- This guy is very athletic. He could very well develop into something for the future.

167 DaRon Bland--- He gives them depth at corner and special teams. His 100 yard int return against Boise State was flat out spectacular.

176 Damone Clark--- This guy is one of the best linebackers in the country. This was a perfect spot to take him. This pick could pay off handsomely.

178 John Ridgeway--- Outstanding value. Some had him ranked much higher. I always tried to get him in my mock drafts. He is a mean monster. He will play this year and improves the team at the 1 tech position.

193 Devin Harper--- He has the speed and athletic ability to contribute on special teams as a rookie.

UDFA Markquese Bell--- I think that he makes the team as a backup safety and special teams player.

UDFA Alec Lindstrum--- He has a chance to make the team at center.

UDFA Garibay--- This could be the new kicker and should do better than Greg Z. did last year.

I've got 11 rookies making the team. Anything can happen. This draft could boom or bust, but I like their chances. I like their scouting department and Dan Quinn. Quinn knows how to use and get the most out of his players. If the Cowboys hit on this draft it will put them in great position to do very well this year and in the future,

817Gill

Reaction score
24 Tyler Smith--- I grew to like this pick as time goes by. Smith has strength, youth, intelligence, and a great work ethic. I think that he will be an upgrade over Connor Williams. I think that the odds on this turning out to being a good pick are pretty good.

56 Sam Williams--- This is a Dan Quinn pick and I trust Dan Quinn. Williams can certainly rush the passer and he has the speed to make plays all over the field. If he can stay out of trouble, he should pay dividends.

88 Jalen Tolbert--- This was outstanding value. He was ranked 59 on Dane Bugler's board. He is a complete receiver and is already a good route runner. He will be the 3rd receiver on this team and projects to be a good player.

129 Jake Ferguson--- This guy makes the tight end position better. He is a good receiver and a decent blocker. I like that they didn't trade up for one of the other tight ends. By not trading up they were able to keep their 5th round picks which got them Clark and Ridgeway.

155 Matt Waletzko--- This guy is very athletic. He could very well develop into something for the future.

167 DaRon Bland--- He gives them depth at corner and special teams. His 100 yard int return against Boise State was flat out spectacular.

176 Damone Clark--- This guy is one of the best linebackers in the country. This was a perfect spot to take him. This pick could pay off handsomely.

178 John Ridgeway--- Outstanding value. Some had him ranked much higher. I always tried to get him in my mock drafts. He is a mean monster. He will play this year and improves the team at the 1 tech position.

193 Devin Harper--- He has the speed and athletic ability to contribute on special teams as a rookie.

UDFA Markquese Bell--- I think that he makes the team as a backup safety and special teams player.

UDFA Garibay--- This could be the new kicker and should do better than Greg Z. did last year.

I've got 11 rookies making the team. Anything can happen. This draft could boom or bust, but I like their chances. I like their scouting department and Dan Quinn. Quinn knows how to use and get the most out of his players. If the Cowboys hit on this draft it will put them in great position to do very well this year and in the future,
I like it. People who think half your draft picks don’t make the team are either living in 1993 or have ignored the Cowboys roster building model the last few years.

Right or wrong, you can bet that dang near all the draft picks will make the team in some capacity. Not to mention a few UDFA’s as well. This is just a fact based on how this team builds its roster.

Last time a pick was outright cut was DT Jordan Carrell, 7th rounder in 2017.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The odds always favor coming up with more busts than booms. The busts always outweigh the booms for every team. Williams might have the best chance of being a boom because he appears to have the traits it takes in the NFL to get after the passer and he’ll be given plenty of opportunity to do that. The big question with him is whether he’ll be able to defend the run.

rambo2

Reaction score
I like it. People who think half your draft picks don’t make the team are either living in 1993 or have ignored the Cowboys roster building model the last few years.

Right or wrong, you can bet that dang near all the draft picks will make the team in some capacity. Not to mention a few UDFA’s as well. This is just a fact based on how this team builds its roster.

Last time a pick was outright cut was DT Jordan Carrell, 7th rounder in 2017.
It looks like an organized effort to make the roster younger. If it works they will be in good shape going forward. I think that they are in good shape at receiver in that they haven't spent any money on the position and can continue to draft one each year as time goes by.

CWR

Reaction score

Nice post. The article I read on Williams helped to make me a believer. I think the kid keeps his head on straight and becomes a demon off that dline.

I hope they go slow with the position flex for Tyler. Let him learn guard this year.

I love the WR, TE, DT and the 5th round LB. He could end up our best pick of the draft.

Look for Waletzko to add another 30lbs of muscle and we might have something.

All said there is a ton of top end potential in this class. Let's hope we see through to fruition.

CWR

Reaction score
It looks like an organized effort to make the roster younger. If it works they will be in good shape going forward. I think that they are in good shape at receiver in that they haven't spent any money on the position and can continue to draft one each year as time goes by.

I also really like James Washington. I think we will be good at WR as well, especially when we get a healthy Gallup back.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Good post.

Harper is probably a throwaway but I'm excited about the upside of everyone else.

At this stage, there's always that possibility that it's a 1975 or 2005 type draft that pushes the team to the next level.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Ridgeway and Osa were both state champion wrestlers in high school.

If only they could give some lessons to Biadasz......especially with his hand movements to keep NT hands off. Cuz once they grab his pads, he is like a blocking sled going backwards. Footwork is also pretty important.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Rounds 3-7 were all pretty safe and projectible guys. But Smith and Williams carry some real risk.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

They have a chance at a home run this draft

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great post.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
The Cowboys have had more "reach" type picks over the last two drafts. Most of these have been on the defensive side of the ball as Quinn has some definite preferences for the types of players he likes that may not be commonly shared throughout the NFL. As long as he's producing good defenses, that's not a problem. But if the defensive struggles and we end up with a new defensive coordinator, those Dan Quinn picks may not be around long.

morasp

Reaction score
With Gallup and Clark missing time and a light safety group don't sleep on these guys. They all had draftable grades.

Aaron Hansford LB Texas A&M
  • Has potential to make explosive plays.
  • Athletically gifted with oily hips and smooth change of direction.
  • Good lateral acceleration and agility.
  • Plays with sideline-to-sideline range.
  • Able to cut off angles when stalking outside runs.
  • Power to meet and stop ball-carrier at point of impact.
  • Breaks down into balanced, wrap-up positioning.
  • Flashed major blitz talent in previous seasons.
  • Rockets into backfield with ability to elude blitz pickup.
  • Substantially better with coverage recognition in 2021.
Dontario Drummond WR Ole Miss
  • Thick, imposing frame from the slot.
  • Naturally athletic and smooth.
  • Hip sink and foot agility to improve as a route runner.
  • Good suddenness out of breaks underneath.
  • Some separation burst through the route stem.
  • Plays to his size and has strength to make contested catches.
  • Able to drop low and rescue the throw.
  • Bringing him down requires commitment.
  • Shifty enough to elude tackles and powerful enough to break them.
  • Possesses untapped potential.
Jaunyeh Thomas S Georgia Tech
  • Long-armed safety with NFL size.
  • Determined getting to the ball-carrier.
  • Plays with proper bend for control in his pursuit.
  • No hesitation to slide in and fit up the run.
  • Effective wrap-up tackler with some stopping power.
  • Turns action back inside with contain technique.
  • Size to bother tight ends in space.
  • Swats away throws with his long-distance length.
  • Displayed surprising single-high range versus Notre Dame and North Carolina.
  • Superior talent on kick and punt cover teams.