Cowboys draft Boom or Bust

Cowboyny

Reaction score
24 Tyler Smith--- I grew to like this pick as time goes by. Smith has strength, youth, intelligence, and a great work ethic. I think that he will be an upgrade over Connor Williams. I think that the odds on this turning out to being a good pick are pretty good.

56 Sam Williams--- This is a Dan Quinn pick and I trust Dan Quinn. Williams can certainly rush the passer and he has the speed to make plays all over the field. If he can stay out of trouble, he should pay dividends.

88 Jalen Tolbert--- This was outstanding value. He was ranked 59 on Dane Bugler's board. He is a complete receiver and is already a good route runner. He will be the 3rd receiver on this team and projects to be a good player.

129 Jake Ferguson--- This guy makes the tight end position better. He is a good receiver and a decent blocker. I like that they didn't trade up for one of the other tight ends. By not trading up they were able to keep their 5th round picks which got them Clark and Ridgeway.

155 Matt Waletzko--- This guy is very athletic. He could very well develop into something for the future.

167 DaRon Bland--- He gives them depth at corner and special teams. His 100 yard int return against Boise State was flat out spectacular.

176 Damone Clark--- This guy is one of the best linebackers in the country. This was a perfect spot to take him. This pick could pay off handsomely.

178 John Ridgeway--- Outstanding value. Some had him ranked much higher. I always tried to get him in my mock drafts. He is a mean monster. He will play this year and improves the team at the 1 tech position.

193 Devin Harper--- He has the speed and athletic ability to contribute on special teams as a rookie.

UDFA Markquese Bell--- I think that he makes the team as a backup safety and special teams player.

UDFA Alec Lindstrum--- He has a chance to make the team at center.

UDFA Garibay--- This could be the new kicker and should do better than Greg Z. did last year.

I've got 11 rookies making the team. Anything can happen. This draft could boom or bust, but I like their chances. I like their scouting department and Dan Quinn. Quinn knows how to use and get the most out of his players. If the Cowboys hit on this draft it will put them in great position to do very well this year and in the future,
Boom/Bust is a fair label for this class as they took more upside players then high floor ones. The lineman are all about upside potential. Williams is another developmental prospect. Thought day 3 was very strong. Ridgeway, Ferguson, Clark could all potentially start down the line, which is highly unusual for late draft picks.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All the draft picks made the roster last year. However, I wonder if because a few were pet cat types, they kept them.
Doesn't matter, will see how they progress this season to see if they were worth it.

I have the same feeling, they will keep all the picks this time also. And a few decent players will be gone because of it. Exception maybe LB Harper makes the PS but they do not have a lot of depth there, so maybe he sticks.
This FO has to show they think they are right, as to the draft, and at times keeps a lesser player than they should because of that. IMO anyway. But I also know it is a long term type thing over an aging vet or contract situation.

However, I am fine with many of the players the past 3 drafts. It will be interesting at cut down time as usual. But I feel this year the 90 man roster is not as deep as last year. But that is ok, as long as the 53 man roster is better. Right now, I am not saying it is or is not.

I am still not sure how I feel about this off-season, but not complaining about it nor hyping it. Maybe once the season nears, I will get more pumped up about it.

quickccc

Reaction score
24 Tyler Smith--- I grew to like this pick as time goes by. Smith has strength, youth, intelligence, and a great work ethic. I think that he will be an upgrade over Connor Williams. I think that the odds on this turning out to being a good pick are pretty good.

56 Sam Williams--- This is a Dan Quinn pick and I trust Dan Quinn. Williams can certainly rush the passer and he has the speed to make plays all over the field. If he can stay out of trouble, he should pay dividends.

88 Jalen Tolbert--- This was outstanding value. He was ranked 59 on Dane Bugler's board. He is a complete receiver and is already a good route runner. He will be the 3rd receiver on this team and projects to be a good player.

129 Jake Ferguson--- This guy makes the tight end position better. He is a good receiver and a decent blocker. I like that they didn't trade up for one of the other tight ends. By not trading up they were able to keep their 5th round picks which got them Clark and Ridgeway.

155 Matt Waletzko--- This guy is very athletic. He could very well develop into something for the future.

167 DaRon Bland--- He gives them depth at corner and special teams. His 100 yard int return against Boise State was flat out spectacular.

176 Damone Clark--- This guy is one of the best linebackers in the country. This was a perfect spot to take him. This pick could pay off handsomely.

178 John Ridgeway--- Outstanding value. Some had him ranked much higher. I always tried to get him in my mock drafts. He is a mean monster. He will play this year and improves the team at the 1 tech position.

193 Devin Harper--- He has the speed and athletic ability to contribute on special teams as a rookie.

UDFA Markquese Bell--- I think that he makes the team as a backup safety and special teams player.

UDFA Alec Lindstrum--- He has a chance to make the team at center.

UDFA Garibay--- This could be the new kicker and should do better than Greg Z. did last year.

I've got 11 rookies making the team. Anything can happen. This draft could boom or bust, but I like their chances. I like their scouting department and Dan Quinn. Quinn knows how to use and get the most out of his players. If the Cowboys hit on this draft it will put them in great position to do very well this year and in the future,

LG Tyler Smith - Wait and see developmental project that has to learn how to play OG at the NFL level, that's gonna be time-consuming. Huge learning curve
in a zone scheme- not overnight success. Think size, athleticism, and intensity plays in this pick, eventual long term LT potential. Don't be surprised if he's benched to re-collect his head at some point.

Edge De (Sam) Williams - he looks the part at 260 pounds, 4.4 speed, and 12 sacks final college year. Situational rotation behind Dorace/Fowler allows
gradual growth and spot play without pressured to rush him. Profiled as a poor run defender but nickel rush will be his role.

WR Jake Tolbert- seems polished NFL ready to factor in competition for 3rd WR role. Has shake -release at the line in his routes, and will battle vs defenders hanging over him. He's not a top end jet speedster. but hope he has at least Cedrick Wilson like ability.

TE Jake Ferguson- Every clip and profile i've heard or seen of JK, indicates he is Schultz 2.0... Crafty in setting in zones and roll outs, gritty, hands but does he
separate vs man coverage ? Will he play faster than what he 40 times ?

1-tech John RIdgeway - dropped in 5th round, but not surprising, 1 tech, non- rush DTs will do that. Expected to go early.
One thing needed, top rated run defense enforcer. Demands double team, clogs run lanes, detours run to outside Hope to develop n rotation while Watkins starts.

quickccc

Reaction score
It's going to take 3-4 years to truly grade this draft. The entire draft class looked subpart anyway.

2 years, imo ..depending upon durability, coaching and extensive starting or heavy contributing roles.

quickccc

Reaction score
With Gallup and Clark missing time and a light safety group don't sleep on these guys. They all had draftable grades.

Aaron Hansford LB Texas A&M
  • Has potential to make explosive plays.
  • Athletically gifted with oily hips and smooth change of direction.
  • Good lateral acceleration and agility.
  • Plays with sideline-to-sideline range.
  • Able to cut off angles when stalking outside runs.
  • Power to meet and stop ball-carrier at point of impact.
  • Breaks down into balanced, wrap-up positioning.
  • Flashed major blitz talent in previous seasons.
  • Rockets into backfield with ability to elude blitz pickup.
  • Substantially better with coverage recognition in 2021.

Hansford is my one to watch, he was a five star player out of high school - but never developed from his prep star status.
I'm intrigued with his athleticism and agility.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's going to take 3-4 years to truly grade this draft. The entire draft class looked subpart anyway.
Yeah I always hear about these drafts having talent…people admitted the qb prospects were weak but I just didn’t see much premier prospects that can come in and make a immediate impact.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
LG Tyler Smith - Wait and see developmental project that has to learn how to play OG at the NFL level, that's gonna be time-consuming. Huge learning curve
in a zone scheme- not overnight success. Think size, athleticism, and intensity plays in this pick, eventual long term LT potential. Don't be surprised if he's benched to re-collect his head at some point.

It wouldn't surprise me if Smith doesn't take over a starting role until a few weeks into the season. He could spend a few weeks getting special teams snaps, then have his first start be at home playing against a mediocre DT. Probably wouldn't want him facing Aaron Donald in his first start.

quickccc

Reaction score
Hansford is my one to watch, he was a five star player out of high school - but never developed from his prep star status.

Correction. Hansford was a 4 star high school recruit.

quickccc

Reaction score
i guess there's more emphasis on route/possession type WRs, ..with the issues with WRs and the pass game last year.

i was really wanting to add more sheer speed on this team, ..and especially at punt returner.

rambo2

Reaction score
i guess there's more emphasis on route/possession type WRs, ..with the issues with WRs and the pass game last year.

i was really wanting to add more sheer speed on this team, ..and especially at punt returner.
You must have wanted Marcus Jones.

quickccc

Reaction score
You must have wanted Marcus Jones.

I admit that i actually wanted SMU's Danny Gray, a 4.33 speedster who also has punt return capabilities, but of course he went earlier to
the Niners in the 3rd round. .

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Time will tell if they actually did get better. But time isn't need to realize this team definitely got bigger.

Proof

Reaction score
It looks like an organized effort to make the roster younger. If it works they will be in good shape going forward. I think that they are in good shape at receiver in that they haven't spent any money on the position and can continue to draft one each year as time goes by.

aren't they already one of the youngest teams in the league? I know once they got rid of witten (and now ladouceur) the avg age dropped tremendously lol. But a guy like Tyron who is our longest tenured veteran is just 31 years old.

Proof

Reaction score

interesting. definitely something to watch

rambo2

Reaction score
I admit that i actually wanted SMU's Danny Gray, a 4.33 speedster who also has punt return capabilities, but of course he went earlier to
the Niners in the 3rd round. .
I was mad when the Patriots took Jones who is the besst kick returner in the country and can play offense and defense.