News: Cowboys Draft Breakdown: Defensive Edition

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys Draft Breakdown: Defensive Edition

http://insidethestar.com/cowboys-draft-breakdown-defensive-edition/

...Corner back:

Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne, Orlando Scandrick, Buddy Jackson, Josh Thomas, Terrance Mitchell, Deji Olatoye

The corner back position might just be the most questionable on the entire team and will absolutely have to be addressed at some point in the draft.

Brandon Carr is in the last year of his contract and no one really knows what his status with the team is yet. I personally think he will play out the remainder of his contract or the Cowboys may decide to try to extend his contract to lessen his cap hit.

Claiborne was brought back on a one-year deal and figures to be a contributor in the secondary, but whether it is as a starter or a backup is unknown.

Scandrick should be a big boost to the Cowboys secondary if he can return fully healthy from his knee injury.

Beyond that there really isn’t much to be excited about if someone was asked to step up and contribute on a regular basis.

The Cowboys could select a corner as early as the first round and may even double dip like I predicted with defensive end earlier. It will be interesting to see how they address this position.

My picks: Kendall Fuller, Virginia Tech (2nd round) & Maurice Canady, Virginia (4th round)

Safety:
Byron Jones, Barry Church, J J Wilcox, Jeff Heath

I have Byron Jones listed as a safety because I believe that’s the direction the Cowboys are leaning towards going in 2016, but his versatility allows him to play safety or corner.

The Cowboys interest this off-season in signing Eric Weddle shows that they are interested in upgrading the position and I really think they would like interchangeable safeties on the backend of the defense.

I think the Cowboys will look to find a more athletic safety they can pair with Jones that has better coverage skills.

Church, Wilcox, and Heath all struggle in coverage and are better suited as box safeties. All three should not feel very comfortable that their roster spot is secure.