News: Cowboys Draft Dilemma: Winning Now Or Later?

MrPhil

Reaction score
Oh, a ton of people will fly off on the proposition that Bill Parcells was the laughing stock of the NFL when with Dallas....you bet on a carte blanche disagreement on base levels of credability.

I think BP made some very good moves during his time with Dallas and overall I was disappointed that he did not stay a little longer. I also think we were saved from some potential blunders of his as well. The first that comes to mind is the Demarcus Ware draft when it is has been reported that he wanted Marcus Spears at #11 instead of Ware.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think BP made some very good moves during his time with Dallas and overall I was disappointed that he did not stay a little longer. I also think we were saved from some potential blunders of his as well. The first that comes to mind is the Demarcus Ware draft when it is has been reported that he wanted Marcus Spears at #11 instead of Ware.

At that point, I don't think that Bill was seeing Lawrence Taylor in DeMarcus Ware...lol.

Sydla

Reaction score
So you have to go back 20 years to find a example of that blueprint being used? This team isn't rebuilding to begin with. They have a team full of veterans and a still solid quarterback. That Patriots "blueprint" doesn't fit the one we are trying to follow.

OK.............. Follow the Packers or the Colts................. Packers had Favre, won big, were still in win now mode, still took Rodgers and had him sit.

Colts had Manning, he got hurt and the Colts tanked, they drafted Luck and moved on from Manning.

Now no one is saying you move on from Romo right now but the reality is his window is small and it's not often you have a chance to draft a QB in the Top 5.

Bocephus

Reaction score
I really want a top rb next year because there will be a lot of better ones, but that'll mean one year with McFadden and a fa to pair with him.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I don't see this as a dilemma. Dallas isn't going to have a sb contending team by just adding drafted players.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
And me, as Jerry, would reply: 16+ games. No matter what.

The reason I don"t see us going QB?

Just about back in December Romo said when it was time to look at bringing in a QB..

he would asist in his selection.

I have heard nothing about this again.

Romo didn't go to the Combine..

didn'interview anybody..

He chilled.

So QB is out.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Why not settle for a different DB or RB instead of getting a second rate QB? I think most would agree the most important position in football, yet we are to roll the dice on some mid rd QB? if the success rate for 1st rd QB is not great as some say then the odds do not improve with later rd QB who are viewed with more short comings than those rated higher.

It's the year of the strongest DTs and the year of one of the weakest QBs. Very few if any stand outs in the top 10....Ramsey and Tunsil. Jack is injured, until proven otherwise.

.... because the NFL SUPPOSEDLY doesn't take top 10 RBs like Zeke Elliot anymore.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
OK.............. Follow the Packers or the Colts................. Packers had Favre, won big, were still in win now mode, still took Rodgers and had him sit.

Colts had Manning, he got hurt and the Colts tanked, they drafted Luck and moved on from Manning.

Now no one is saying you move on from Romo right now but the reality is his window is small and it's not often you have a chance to draft a QB in the Top 5.

Well if i'm drafting Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck then I'm more than willing to draft them with that #4th pick. Goff and Wentz or Lynch aren't either. There will be QB's of their caliber in next years draft and the year after that and the year after that.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's exactly whats going to happen.

It may happen but it would be stupid. History shows that you're more likely to hit at QB taking one high in the draft and that it's easier to find good TBs in the middle of the draft.

But of course given some of the dumb things this organization has done over the years, I am sure they'll do the opposite and reach for a TB early and then think they can get the next Romo in the 4th round.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well if i'm drafting Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck then I'm more than willing to draft them with that #4th pick. Goff and Wentz or Lynch aren't either. There will be QB's of their caliber in next years draft and the year after that and the year after that.

The people who tell themselves that are the people who wonder why their organization has been wandering through the desert for years.

There is no doubt in my mind that if the Cowboys ignore the QB situation in this draft, some of you same people will be *****ing 2 years from now when we have no QB.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's the year of the strongest DTs and the year of one of the weakest QBs. Very few if any stand outs in the top 10....Ramsey and Tunsil. Jack is injured, until proven otherwise.

.... because the NFL SUPPOSEDLY doesn't take top 10 RBs like Zeke Elliot anymore.

No one knows, I have heard that BS before about weak QB fact is these are some good QB and your right DT is presumed strong meaning we should be able to address a lot of defense with the remainder of our picks but as far as the top 3 QB I think they have quality players.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
The reason I don"t see us going QB?

Just about back in December Romo said when it was time to look at bringing in a QB..

he would asist in his selection.

I have heard nothing about this again.

Romo didn't go to the Combine..

didn'interview anybody..

He chilled.

So QB is out.

You could be right. But I think they wouldn't want to make it public if they would go that way by selecting a QB early in the draft. Romo probably would look at film and talk to people with nobody knowing about it.

conner01

Reaction score
It doesn't but I just get the impression that you are settling for quarterback here. Like if all of these quarterbacks came out last season none of them are going ahead of Mariotta and Winston. They pale in comparison. IMO, these quarterbacks are what Derek Carr and Teddy Bridgewater were and those were a late 1st and 2nd round pick. And those organizations are in love with them and rightfully so. Like would I rather have Blake Bortles with the 3rd pick in the draft or Derek Carr with the 2nd round pick?

Well if they have these QB's on the board as legit top 5 pick then they should take them. I just don't see that. This is just like that Cam Newton class where teams were just settling for the Christin Ponder's and Jake Lockers because Cam was off the board.

I just can't see how these quarterbacks are higher their board then Jack or a Ramsey is.

I guess that's the difference, I don't think they pale in comparison myself. I think Wentz is just as good a prospect though is more raw and needs to fully develope which is fine since we don't need him today

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Easy to say they aren't Rodgers....in that draft no one thought Aaron Rodgers was Aaron Rodgers or he wouldn't have lasted into the 20's. There were a ton of people that poo poo'd Big Ben and Flacco as well. How has that worked out for their teams?

I am getting to to the point where I don't think there is a sure fire impact player at 4 at any position, so in that case you either trade down if you can get value or take the QB.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Easy to say they aren't Rodgers....in that draft no one thought Aaron Rodgers was Aaron Rodgers or he wouldn't have lasted into the 20's. There were a ton of people that poo poo'd Big Ben and Flacco as well. How has that worked out for their teams?

I am getting to to the point where I don't think there is a sure fire impact player at 4 at any position, so in that case you either trade down if you can get value or take the QB.

That makes perfect sense...and price is a determinant. Leave the gamble side of the pick, and salary, to someone who is wanting to take just that gamble...