News: Cowboys: First round pass rushers are rookie fool's gold

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys: First round pass rushers are rookie fool's gold

http://thelandryhat.com/2016/02/25/cowboys-first-round-pass-rushers-rookie-fools-gold/

...Top strongside defensive end Joey Bosa showed his rush shortcomings while regressing from 13.5 to 5 sacks in his final season at Ohio State.

Bosa is NFL ready in regards to run defense, but most scouts agree substantial pass rush dividends will require seasoning and patience.

Noah Spence is the most talented pass rusher, yet also comes with red flags. As a first time starter in 2013, he produced a respectable 7.5 sacks at Ohio State.

Spence tested positive for ecstasy at the Big Ten title game and was banned for the Orange Bowl plus two games in 2014. A second positive test in September 2014 resulted in a permanent Big Ten ban.

Following a year off, he started for Eastern Kentucky and dominated lesser competition with 11.5 sacks and 15 quarterback hurries in 2015.

With starting rush end Randy Gregory now suspended four games for substance abuse, it’s hard to believe Dallas would opt for a replacement with the same red flags...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think Bosa will be a 10-sack plus player with the potential to post bigger numbers than that. His hand usage and movement skills are the reason I feel that way. He also bursts toward the QB and strikes with violence when he gets an opening.

I've never considered being a top-quality to be based on the number of sacks you get but on disruptiveness and Bosa is a disruptive player. There's a good article on Blogging the Boys about how Bosa ranks up there with past disruptive college DEs who've gone on to shine in the pros.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I heard on NFL radio in a discussion that Boza's ceiling is Chris Long, a 6-8 sack per year, run stopping DE. Said he is not worth top 8 pick. Spence is a 10-12 sack guy, but maybe more of a stand up rusher. Has red flags. NFL Net work analyst Charles Davis was part of this discussion.

Reaction score
I heard on NFL radio in a discussion that Boza's ceiling is Chris Long, a 6-8 sack per year, run stopping DE. Said he is not worth top 8 pick. Spence is a 10-12 sack guy, but maybe more of a stand up rusher. Has red flags. NFL Net work analyst Charles Davis was part of this discussion.

When you combine that assessment of Bosa with the fact that he's had his own issues smoking pot, it seems to me that it's best to just stay away from him at #4.