Cowboys Focus Mo Money

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I already posted that that Cowboys personnel philosophy is cheap FA, cheap injury comeback, cheap steal for practice squads, and draft well. Jerry's overall philosophy is to make Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money!

That's why I knew they were not going to sign Thomas after he missed 12 games for premium money. Actually it makes no sense as you can get a good safety in the draft or Eric Berry may fit the cheap injury comeback discount the Cowboys look for now.

Another is possibility is Zach Brown LB, who usually waits until after the draft to sign a deal. He is viable, faster, and more durable than Lee. He also like Lee can play every 4-3 LB position. Unlike Lee he is a willing special teams player. He could fill the need of Damien Wilson leaving. They probably will not get Brown but Jamie Collins is still out there (will probably sign with NE). You get my point..you know and I know Sean Lee will not get through a full football season.

However, when you look at the Cowboys in house free and potential free agents, I think the Cowboys will try to fill needs by low value round trades and drafting. They gambled wrong with the Ward for Switzer trade. Switzer would have made the Beasley departure absolutely meaningless. He was bigger, just as fast and was a better returner than Beasley. But trust me, there are many Beaslies and Switzers available in the draft, FA, or as UDFA. However if another team has a young player with 2 years of rights, they will probably pull the trigger.

The Cowboys love pre-signing on potential with the second contract with extending years (see Crawford, Lee, Beasley, Martin, Frederick, Smith, etc. That's why signing Lawrence, Dak, Zeke, and Cooper are priorities versus big splash with Earl Thomas or any exciting veteran FA. If the Cowboy can keep this group you have a foundation of a potential Dynasty.

The draft, practice squad, re-signing their own, and late free agent signings after the draft will complete this roster.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I already posted that that Cowboys personnel philosophy is cheap FA, cheap injury comeback, cheap steal for practice squads, and draft well. Jerry's overall philosophy is to make Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money!

That's why I knew they were not going to sign Thomas after he missed 12 games for premium money. Actually it makes no sense as you can get a good safety in the draft or Eric Berry may fit the cheap injury comeback discount the Cowboys look for now.

Another is possibility is Zach Brown LB, who usually waits until after the draft to sign a deal. He is viable, faster, and more durable than Lee. He also like Lee can play every 4-3 LB position. Unlike Lee he is a willing special teams player. He could fill the need of Damien Wilson leaving. They probably will not get Brown but Jamie Collins is still out there (will probably sign with NE). You get my point..you know and I know Sean Lee will not get through a full football season.

However, when you look at the Cowboys in house free and potential free agents, I think the Cowboys will try to fill needs by low value round trades and drafting. They gambled wrong with the Ward for Switzer trade. Switzer would have made the Beasley departure absolutely meaningless. He was bigger, just as fast and was a better returner than Beasley. But trust me, there are many Beaslies and Switzers available in the draft, FA, or as UDFA. However if another team has a young player with 2 years of rights, they will probably pull the trigger.

The Cowboys love pre-signing on potential with the second contract with extending years (see Crawford, Lee, Beasley, Martin, Frederick, Smith, etc. That's why signing Lawrence, Dak, Zeke, and Cooper are priorities versus big splash with Earl Thomas or any exciting veteran FA. If the Cowboy can keep this group you have a foundation of a potential Dynasty.

The draft, practice squad, re-signing their own, and late free agent signings after the draft will complete this roster.

Exactly, and our team knows full well that just because you spend a lot of money on a free agent doesn't mean that it will work out for you. If it doesn't, then you end up struggling to get out of cap hell.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
I just thought for a second we would bring Morris Claiborne back.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

What does it say to your own guy like Lawrence if you go out and sign a guy like Earl Thomas for 15 million per year? How do you then sit down with Lawrence or a Cooper and tell them they need to sign for less?

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Exactly, and our team knows full well that just because you spend a lot of money on a free agent doesn't mean that it will work out for you. If it doesn't, then you end up struggling to get out of cap hell.
Agree with you. Do you remember why Jerry and Stephen Jones almost got into a fight over Deion Sanders FA contract? This is Stephen Jones and Will McClay's show.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
What does it say to your own guy like Lawrence if you go out and sign a guy like Earl Thomas for 15 million per year? How do you then sit down with Lawrence or a Cooper and tell them they need to sign for less?
You're right. You don't sign Earl Thomas and try to sell them on being a Cowboy with all the Dallas benefits of being a Cowboy at a little less rate on the second deal and lie to them saying they will get the bank on their 3rd deal (which will never come in Dallas).

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I just thought for a second we would bring Morris Claiborne back.
If he is an UFA, he still has love for Dallas and wants to be closer to his family:
Q: Jerry Jones.
A: I would sum him up as a good man. He changed my life. He gave me an opportunity to do tremendous things in my life. He changed my family life, and nothing but respect for him.

Q: Tony Romo.
A: Nothing but love for him.Just seeing the things that he went through throughout his career and how he stood so tall through adversity, everything that he’s been through, and he’s still standing now, it’s amazing to me.

He saying all the right things :) If he is cheap, he can be a Cowboy.

Mattitude

Reaction score
We aren’t signing another big name LB. Damien Wilson’s spot will be filled by a back up last year or a min vet. And Lee wouldn’t last a whole game at that spot. Too much contact

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Good Lord $&@!!!!!!!!!!

Your the same age as my oldest son. He at least you both got to see 1 Super Bowl before you turn 30.

Sometimes I think there is no hope for my 10 year old son.

Lol, well....I was born in late December 1992.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Good Lord $&@!!!!!!!!!!

Your the same age as my oldest son. He at least you both got to see 1 Super Bowl before you turn 30.

Sometimes I think there is no hope for my 10 year old son.

I have hope that we'll win the Super Bowl before long. I know Jerry doesn't inspire a lot of confidence at times, but I actually think we're doing the off-season the right way. Once we get the big 4 extended, then we'll probably be bigger players in FA. For now, the diamonds are what we're after.