Cowboys free agency focus: By adding Daryl Worley, Dallas is committed to a CB make-over

Dre11

Reaction score
My statement stands, as to principals for team winning work. As to interception turn overs, practice does matter and is affected by instruction. How do you think that good position, hip swing, and mirroring routes happens...a lot of running and and jumping ability? C'mon, it is acquired with close instruction and tons of practice and film work of success.

You practice everything, and they did it all last year, they drilled it last year, still you didnt see it on the field, I coach WR/DB, we work backpedaling,tip drill, attack ball drills, Hurdle dills, High point drills, all the route break drills. all those drills are nice, but what helps you get the picks is 1. understanding the defensive scheme, but most importantly individual film study of your opponent to get an understanding of any tips you can use to get a pick or take him out the game. other than that you rely on the qb making mistakes either on his own or because of the pass

Dre11

Reaction score
Okay, the coaches probably never came out and said, "Never play the ball. Only ever play the man, blanket him, and always make it harder for them to complete the catch even if that means you never make plays on the ball except for flailing your arms to break them up sometimes."

But they systematically rewarded and praised players when they did that. And players who made plays on the ball were therefore deemed too risky by the coaches due to the worry that they'd neglect their job in order to seek glory looking for picks (whether they said it or not), so they were often coincidentally given less praise and less playing time.

I'm fond of the story of a Giants-Eagles game back when the Eagles' defense was tough in the Buddy Ryan days, and Parcells told Phil Simms before the game that if he didn't throw a couple of picks in the game it would be because he was playing too cowardly and not taking enough chances to make anything happen for the team. He was straight-up telling him that it's okay to get burned a few times today because that's just gonna be the price we pay for pushing to do the things we need to do to move the ball and take our shots and score some points.

The defensive backs on our team in recent years have basically been given the opposite of that talk. The team pays lip service to wanting turnovers in one breath, but instead of giving them permission to get burned, we make it clear the downside to going for turnovers isn't accepted. Guys deviating from the conservative style have it made clear to them that that's not how we do things here. It's like if Parcells had told Phil Simms, "Take your shots and make things happen. Take some chances. Oh, but also: if you throw even one interception, so help me God, I'm gonna bury you under my doghouse and you'll spend months or years of your worthless life trying to earn your way back out. Which you never will. You mutt. You f'ing lame." That last bit pretty much scares the player out of even attempting the first bit. Naturally. Because they know that they have to play it conservative above all else when the coaches condition them to know that's the first priority.

Nothing is that black and white on the football, I 'll bet my house they arent telling them you cant take a chance on an int. or else. Again, Richard didnt have that problem in Seattle, Saying we don't want to give up the big isn't saying you don't want turnovers. Jourdan Lewis has no problem being aggressive in getting the ball or attacking the ball, did he not get the memo?
I've also seen them take chances as well, Chido was front and center in NY, that turned into a 90 yard TD.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You practice everything, and they did it all last year, they drilled it last year, still you didnt see it on the field, I coach WR/DB, we work backpedaling,tip drill, attack ball drills, Hurdle dills, High point drills, all the route break drills. all those drills are nice, but what helps you get the picks is 1. understanding the defensive scheme, but most importantly individual film study of your opponent to get an understanding of any tips you can use to get a pick or take him out the game. other than that you rely on the qb making mistakes either on his own or because of the pass

Thanks coach...and thanks for leadership growth in our youth.

CCBoy

Reaction score
as much as folks harp on it, you cant teach Int. you can do as many ball drills as you want, and I heard them say they worked it everyday practice, they just come . either pass rush or just from a guy who has a knack for it, like Jourdan Lewis.
If one has a technique there is a drill for, and it is good...stick with it. Then practice as if it were a game. Even over time.

Dre11

Reaction score
If one has a technique there is a drill for, and it is good...stick with it. Then practice as if it were a game. Even over time.

and they did it didn't translate. it's a skill to get picks.

Dre11

Reaction score
Oh, a lot of positions have time proven drills, and they do work and show up during games.

or the player is just a good player, and then they're the ones that's not.

CCBoy

Reaction score
or the player is just a good player, and then they're the ones that's not.
If a player is just 'good'...and didn't want to work, he would take the whole team down. Eventually just good, gets beat out!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's fair to point out that interceptions are often QB mistakes, which is more on the pass rush to create than the secondary.

That said, either way, this team cant be at the bottom of takeaways every year and expect to win.

You have an amazing ability to break down the game.

Dre11

Reaction score
If a player is just 'good'...and didn't want to work, he would take the whole team down. Eventually just good, gets beat out!

Never said they dont work, or shouldnt work, what I said is practicing doesn't gaurantee success. there's just some skills a player must posses.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Never said they dont work, or shouldnt work, what I said is practicing doesn't gaurantee success. there's just some skills a player must posses.
If a leader, one wants all players to improve...and sometimes, dedicated work does pay high dividends. No one improves without intense work.

Dre11

Reaction score
If a leader, one wants all players to improve...and sometimes, dedicated work does pay high dividends. No one improves without intense work.

you're missing the point, were talking about getting int. Having ball skills is a trait, it's why you hear the phrase "ball hawk" and "ball skill" , its what separate Lewis from Chido. But as I said I never said you shouldnt practice. Are you trying to say the cowboys dont practice as a secondary?

CCBoy

Reaction score
you're missing the point, were talking about getting int. Having ball skills is a trait, it's why you hear the phrase "ball hawk" and "ball skill" , its what separate Lewis from Chido. But as I said I never said you shouldnt practice. Are you trying to say the cowboys dont practice as a secondary?
You are talking about scheme and secondary interaction...not just ability. Coaching and work can be a hindrance for interceptions as well.

Sometimes, having to shield an area, instead of positioning to move on an interception...just don't produce similarly.

Before, Dallas would attempt to slow a team down and use point production to attempt to win. You saying that good technique and trust of where another will be, gained through practice, won't improve the goal - interceptions?

Now, it appears that receivers are to be contested towards the line of scrimmage instead. Does that allow up front to get at the quarterback more? Turn overs going to improve now?

Dre11

Reaction score
You are talking about scheme and secondary interaction...not just ability. Coaching and work can be a hindrance for interceptions as well.

Sometimes, having to shield an area, instead of positioning to move on an interception...just don't produce similarly.

Before, Dallas would attempt to slow a team down and use point production to attempt to win. You saying that good technique and trust of where another will be, gained through practice, won't improve the goal - interceptions?

Now, it appears that receivers are to be contested towards the line of scrimmage instead. Does that allow up front to get at the quarterback more? Turn overs going to improve now?

I'm tired of going back and forth, you believe what you will. But answer this, what do you think Richard did here that he did in Seattle to hinder Chidos "ball skills" that didnt Hinder Sherman's or his other corners, better yet that hasnt hindered Jourdan Lewis? Is Jourdan Lewis the only one practicing?

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm tired of going back and forth, you believe what you will. But answer this, what do you think Richard did here that he did in Seattle to hinder Chidos "ball skills" that didnt Hinder Sherman's or his other corners, better yet that hasnt hindered Jourdan Lewis? Is Jourdan Lewis the only one practicing?

You seem to run from defining elements for success and what departs from the goal...that is upon facts, not being indifference. You stayed in conversation, and didn't wish to listen to actual reasons. That became agenda...if that irritates one, he should stay out of what was a discussion in progress.

Dre11

Reaction score
You seem to run from defining elements for success and what departs from the goal...that is upon facts, not being indifference. You stayed in conversation, and didn't wish to listen to actual reasons. That became agenda...if that irritates one, he should stay out of what was a discussion in progress.

I ran from nothing, you chose to pick up my qoute. there wasnt any reasons, Just sh* that didnt make sense, I laid out what needed to increase ints, you didnt want to hear it, so there's no reason to keep going back and forth.

BigD_95

Reaction score
[QUOTE=" remake this cornerback room in the vision of Mike Nolan. The newly hired defensive backs coaches, Maurice Linguist and Al Harris, teach a more press-man coverage scheme, focusing on disruption at the line of scrimmage and moving away from zone philosophies. .[/QUOTE]

You have to love this

CCBoy

Reaction score
I ran from nothing, you chose to pick up my qoute. there wasnt any reasons, Just sh* that didnt make sense, I laid out what needed to increase ints, you didnt want to hear it, so there's no reason to keep going back and forth.
A coach, huh? The two elements that stand out, are BOTH, talent and winning. Teamwork improves both talent, and winning...and that wasn't hard at all to follow. But you gave an agenda show out of it all...and play with some more words that also have 'no meaning.'

Know who Dwight Harrison, Levi Johnson, and Eldridge Small were? Of course you don't, but I played with all three. They were all defensive backs drafted into the NFL and played in the Pro Bowl during their careers. I was a linebacker then, with Texas A&I. Dwight was a second round with the Broncos. Levi was in the third round with Detroit. Eldridge was in the first round with the Giants. They all were very talented, but improved quite a bit under the drills and coaching by Gil Steinke...but I also understand a thing or two about actual play on the carpet.

Talent and Winning forges success in a career...both in college and in the NFL.

Until it all comes together with a new group, this statement by yourself, is where things lie, but for the whole set of positional groups:

You practice everything, and they did it all last year, they drilled it last year, still you didnt see it on the field, I coach WR/DB, we work backpedaling,tip drill, attack ball drills, Hurdle dills, High point drills, all the route break drills. all those drills are nice, but what helps you get the picks is 1. understanding the defensive scheme, but most importantly individual film study of your opponent to get an understanding of any tips you can use to get a pick or take him out the game. other than that you rely on the qb making mistakes either on his own or because of the pass.

Also, are 7 men drills important? How about the practice squad playing tendencies of an opponent...as long as practice is as a real game? Would improved play from the defensive line affect your prediction for poor interceptions as well?

Variables change, as does accomplishments from a new set of coaches.

Is the current Dallas Head Coach, Mike McCarthy, similar to when Andy Reid was let go from Philadelphia? But he doesn't have seven years to arrive at his next results...

Last edited:

DanA

Reaction score
The way I see it:
  • Chidobe Awuzie can play anywhere and is probably our best corner for 2020
  • Trevon Diggs needs some work but can probably contribute immediately, especially in the RedZone
  • Daryl Worley is a solid option inside against TE and can play boundary corner as long as he's protected against speed
  • Jourdan Lewis can play inside and boundary corner as long as he is protected against big contested players
  • Anthony Brown can match up on speed anywhere but isn't great in press-man so maybe better in slot
  • Reggie Robinson is too raw to start - Will be ST only
  • Maurice Canady is fighting for an ST spot but has the edge as a backup corner on defense
  • CJ Goodwin is fighting for an ST spot and is our best gunner
  • Chris Westry needs to show he has progressed - Size makes him intriguing on special teams
There's a transition happening and we should see more press-man coverage than previously.