News: Cowboys Free Agency: Week 2 Preview

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys Free Agency: Week 2 Preview
http://insidethestar.com/cowboys-fr...edium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=insidethestar

On March 4th I put out an article with the Cowboys’ top-five needs as I saw them at the time. We have had several transactions since then which have shifted priorities now as we had into the second week of NFL free agency. Here’s a quick reminder of those needs as I saw them nine days ago:

1. Defensive End
  2. Cornerback/Safety
  3. Quarterback
  4. Defensive Tackle
  5. Linebacker
Let’s do a quick look at moves that gave impacted these positions and see how the rankings may have shifted.

Defensive End

The Cowboys have let the first wave of free agency pass without adding a pass rusher. This was the position where a major signing was most expected.
ADDED: None
LOST: None
UNSIGNED: Greg Hardy, Jeremy Mincey

Dallas has sat back while names like Olivier Vernon, Mario Williams, and Jason Pierre-Paul flew off the shelf quickly. There was rumored interest between the Cowboys and Chris Long but no visit was ever scheduled.

With no additions and two of their key players from last year remaining unsigned, plus Randy Gregory facing a four-game suspension to start the year, defensive end remains the team’s biggest need. Long and Hardy are the two biggest names available but the Cowboys have yet to show any tangible interest in either. Much like we saw with the Cedric Thornton signing, Dallas could have their eyes on someone unexpected. I anticipate them signing someone with starting-level talent this week.

Cornerback/Safety
ADDED: Morris Claiborne, Josh Thomas, Jeff Heath
LOST: None
UNSIGNED: Danny McCray

So far the Cowboys have focused on talent retention over adding fresh faces. Not only have they brought back Claiborne and Thomas at cornerback and Heath at safety but, to the surprise of many, Brandon Carr remains under his existing contract.

Dallas had a visit with free agent Nolan Carroll, previously with the Eagles, on March 10th but then ended up re-signing Claiborne a day later. The visit with Carroll may have been a negotiating tactic to push Claiborne to accept their offer. Perhaps Carroll is who they’d like to sign if they end up releasing Carr. Either way, it doesn’t seem Dallas is interested in any of the top names in the cornerback market.

If Dallas keep Carr or adds another corner upon releasing him then it would all but confirm that Byron Jones will be a safety next year. Dallas would still have flexibility at safety as they can cut Barry Church for solid cap relief or release Heath as his restricted free agent tender is non-guaranteed. There would also be a minimal penalty for cutting J.J. Wilcox, leaving their options fully open.

Eric Weddle is still out there and many fans are clamoring for Dallas to give the veteran Pro Bowler. The Cowboys have been linked to Weddle but you never know how much stock to put in that, since Dallas gets thrown into almost every discussion to attract an audience. Still, Weddle remains an intriguing option and the only major name out there who I think Dallas could possibly be looking to add...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DE...did anyone really think we would pay high $$$ for Vernon, williams aging DE with production fading. But I could see him coming in as a stop gap rotational type player. Two things, he probably wanted more than we were willing to pay, and was he even on our radar to begin with. JPP was never in the running either.
That leaves Chris Long, since most beleive Hardy will not be back. My fear is they bring Mincey back.

DB...I expected Mo back, and glad he is, and on a 1 year deal, so i think that is good. Was hoping they sign Hayward, but he is off the market now, i think the money was more than Dallas willing to pay. Carroll, maybe he is still an option. Depends if Carr takes a pay cut or is released. I think they have time to decide on this. No big hurry actually IMO. They have options on which way to go in FA and the draft, as the versatility of Jones gives them that.

QB...need to draft a QB no matter what, and should be in 1st or 2nd round. However I think they will wait until the 3rd or 4th round. So we will basically be in the same situation as last year if they wait.

DT...signing Thornton was big, now if the can sign Jack Crawford over Hayden, the DT is decent. But I can still see a DT drafted, but in later rounds.

LB...signing RoMac was also very good and huge IMO, as it opens up other possibilities in the draft. But if one is there, you still take him, but not in the 1st round necessarily. Wilber is versatile and great ST's guy. I been ready to replace him, but they don't. They know more than I do, so won't complain. Not at this point..LOL..

So the list changes...

RB...draft Elliot, nothing else to say....:D....
OL...need depth at OG / C
QB...same as above
DE...I can see one drafted, but if they sign Long, or even Hardy, it will not be a priority in the draft. Unless one falls to them.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
While I totally understand the team philosophy of not over paying in free agency, when the market dictates that as the only way of adding significant talent in FA, you sort of have to play along. This wasn't a great FA class, but there was a very good player at every position of need for the Cowboys and they haven't make a sincere play for any of them. The positions they actually addressed, came largely on one year deals with guys who've proven to be unreliable, meaning we will be in exactly the same position next season. There is still some time to add a good rotational player or two (Long), but I won't hold my breath. I absolutely love the Thornton signing though.

I remain even more convinced that the front office is completely out of touch with the state of this team. They've simply gone from one extreme (throwing huge money at Free Agency and drafting long shots with high ceilings) to the other (not making serious plays for any big name FA and putting all their trust in the scouts and draft).

CCBoy

Reaction score
While I totally understand the team philosophy of not over paying in free agency, when the market dictates that as the only way of adding significant talent in FA, you sort of have to play along. This wasn't a great FA class, but there was a very good player at every position of need for the Cowboys and they haven't make a sincere play for any of them. The positions they actually addressed, came largely on one year deals with guys who've proven to be unreliable, meaning we will be in exactly the same position next season. There is still some time to add a good rotational player or two (Long), but I won't hold my breath. I absolutely love the Thornton signing though.

I remain even more convinced that the front office is completely out of touch with the state of this team. They've simply gone from one extreme (throwing huge money at Free Agency and drafting long shots with high ceilings) to the other (not making serious plays for any big name FA and putting all their trust in the scouts and draft).

I think that the course that the Cowboys have taken since the lockout, has been right by the book. They will be able, now, to pay for the most dominant offensive line that will be in the NFL over the next eight years. Huge, for me.

Impatient or not, the very best way to build a franchise, is through the draft...and for me, if they are able to sign Hall and Goldson, their draft will be wide open. There are a few constructive types of defensive ends in the market, that would be alright in rotational status. Hopefully, Gregory comes on during the pre season, and is ready for action after his suspension. He won't dominate as such, but can be a key rotational piece up front, until he grows NFL level wings.

Dallas still has the draft to upgrade, longtermed. That is a worse case scenario, but still strong progress, for me.