CFZ Cowboys Grades at the Break

plasticman

Reaction score
It’s not even mid-season yet but we are at the break. Only 6 games in with 11 to go, there’s a ton of football left to play and we’re still trying to figure out what this team is. Nevertheless, here are my grades for the most important pieces of the team:

COACHING: Overall Grade: C+
  • Mike McCarthy- C. He has at least brought the ability to bounce back after a loss with his 10-1 record after a loss since ‘21. His revamp of the offense has been a dud so far and his in-game management and stupid penalty numbers are concerning. But he’s way better than Garrett and somehow keeps the Jones boys happy.
  • Dan Quinn- B+. The defense is clearly the team’s strength and Quinn has done a good job of using his people well. The SF game was hopefully an outlier to what has otherwise been an excellent start for the D.
OFFENSE: Overall Grade: C- (clearly a slow and disjointed start. Must improve if we have plans for playoff glory)
  • QB- Dak: C- Has clearly struggled in the new offense. His best game was Mon night vs the Chargers because he seemed to start relying more on what made him more successful early in his career. Running the ball on occasion and passing on the move.
  • RBs- C. Tony Pollard-His injury seems to have hampered his explosiveness somewhat. I like Pollard a lot but I’m concerned he’s not a RB who needs more than 15 touches a game. Dowdell needs more touches but honestly this team is way too light at this position.
  • WRs- C- Cedee Lamb been our best offensive player for sure and warrants a B. But he needs to stop the pouting. Maybe he’s uptight about his contract but we’re going to need him a ton down the stretch. Michael Gallup is an F. He’s nothing like he was before his knee injury. No burst, poor routes. Just sad. Maybe he can rebound. We have to hope so because it’s hard to throw to a guy who’s never open. Brandin Cooks: D. I think Cooks is getting better as evidenced against the chargers. He needs to stretch the field more.
  • TEs. Grade: C-. Jake Ferguson has shown flashes of good but he needs to be more reliable. Schoonmaker is clearly on a rookie learning curve. Hendershot is hurt while Sean McKeon has been reliably average.
  • OL Grade: D. This group has struggled more than expected. Early injuries and little time to work together has hurt. Tyron Smith has been a shadow of his once greatness and Zack Martin has shown less dominance. Pass protection has been well below standard and the run game has been spotty. This group has to improve if we want to compete.
DEFENSE Overall Grade: B+ (would have been an A except for the cards and niners games. Great at times, puzzling on occasion)
  • DL Grade: A- Parsons has been great most of the time, but he needs some maturity added to his game. He’s the clear best player on this team. Worry about him wearing down. D-Law: He’s one of the most underrated defensive players in the league. Best run defender on DL, doesn’t get a lot sacks but he is very disruptive. Osa Odighizhua has been a pleasant surprise while Mazi Smith has been a minor disappointment but he’s still developing.
  • LB Grade: C. LVE is hurt again but he’s been very inconsistent. Has good moments then has a game like Ariz and SF. Damone Clark had a good game in LA and shows some development. This position needs help.
  • Secondary Grade: B+. Even with the loss of Diggs, this group has performed pretty well. Daron Bland has been very good and Stephon Gilmore seems to be getting more comfortable in his role. The safeties have been good not great. The development of Marquese Bell has been encouraging.
SPECIAL TEAMS Overall Grade: A
  • K Grade: A+. Rookie Brandon Aubrey has been the most consistently reliable player on the team. Great find by the Cowboys,
  • P Grade: A- Brain Anger remains one of the better punters in the league.
  • Returns Grade: C+. Turpin has been hurt so there’s not much to show for him. He did have a great punt return called back against Ariz.
  • Coverage Grade: B+. CJ Goodwin is hurt and his great coverage will be missed.
OVERALL TEAM GRADE: B-. Being 4-2 is good but not great. This team has warts. The offense must improve and probably needs some new talent infused through a trade. We need a LB on defense too. The D has carried this team but Big Mac needs to fix the offense and the penalties or this team is just another above average team that doesn’t win much in the playoffs. The FO needs to make some moves!

What are your grades?
At this point of the season I think your grades are very appropriate, a good, candid assessment.

I'm going to defer my grades until after game #9 for a few reasons:

First, only two out of the six games were home games and that seems a little unbalanced. After 9 games there will still be more away games, 5-4, but it's closer.

Second, I want to see how the Cowboys perform in games #8 and #9. It's a 17 game season, so there is no exact midpoint. Therefore, I'm choosing the first half to be games #1 to games #9. This way, I'm giving each area of the team a full half season which I think they would need given the new offensive philosophy, the offensive line adjusting to all five playing together as well as the injuries prior to game #1.

Third, I would like to give the rookies and other new members of the team a half season to blend into their roles and become more familiar with their environment which includes teammates,
coaching and personal life.

Fourth, after nine games they will have played enough teams with varying degrees of strength. I think adding the Rams and Eagles will prevent any claim of an easy schedule.

I intend my report to be just as honest and unbiased as yours. Hopefully, after three more games, the team will have earned more encouraging grades.

I think you left out one very critical element of the team and that is the GM in conjunction with scouting and human resources.

For me, that would be a C-. The acquisitions of Aubrey and Gilmore are definitely the highpoints. However, the draft was average, at best, up to this point. I'm not looking for generational players, but there has been very little rookie participation compared to previous seasons.

Also, I cannot over-emphasis the risk they have taken by not pairing Pollard with another legitimate runner, particularly one that can get the short yardage in key situations. They have created the potential for catastrophe if Pollard goes down by backing him up with rookie 6th round picks and free agents. The offensive line clearly lacks legitimate depth which is truly surprising given the injury history of some starters.

OriginalNameGuy

Reaction score
My thoughts are I've seen the Boys come out front running and dominating the regular season before in the Dak era. For once maybe they are saving their peak for the post season? But I know we can only grade what we have seen so far.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
In reference to Dowdle being underutilized as he has been, I have a sneaking suspicion that the staff is concerned about Dowdle's propensity to get injured too easily when he's not getting reps to be running the ball. I can't help but to feel Luepke would be useful to be offered some of the reps that Dowdle isn't being offered. In the many occasions that Luepke hasn't been utilized, he appears quite able to find success. It's really seeming time for MM to take stock of the misappropriation of the talent that he has at hand. Perhaps the fact that Luepke is a rookie shouldn't be so likely to convince MM to avoid using him to advantage. It irks me to no small degree that that's been happening.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hope schoons learning curve is short. Dude is 26. I had more hope for Gavin Escobar than this guy. Terrible pick.

CCBoy

Reaction score
GM Jerry Jones D+
His lack of accountability trickles down throughout the entire organization.
Until we get a professional GM
it hardly matters as GM is the most important position on the team.
McCarthy has control of team directions and has stated that Jerry doesn't miss out on being informed on any topic. Whipping boys are a poor direction for a 'fan.'

Ever deal with terrorists? This sport is all manageable and isn't based purely on hype. McCarthy and Jerry work well together. Leadership leaves no room for accountability. It can't be delegated down, But what is being complained already rests on individuals that have already crossed thresh holds of success in the NFL. More is involved than complaining on disappointment. Legitimation of authority is not a function of fans...play is the arena. Define that beyond just a personal history of disappointment.

CCBoy

Reaction score
In reference to Dowdle being underutilized as he has been, I have a sneaking suspicion that the staff is concerned about Dowdle's propensity to get injured too easily when he's not getting reps to be running the ball. I can't help but to feel Luepke would be useful to be offered some of the reps that Dowdle isn't being offered. In the many occasions that Luepke hasn't been utilized, he appears quite able to find success. It's really seeming time for MM to take stock of the misappropriation of the talent that he has at hand. Perhaps the fact that Luepke is a rookie shouldn't be so likely to convince MM to avoid using him to advantage. It irks me to no small degree that that's been happening.
This a fully physical sport. Dependence upon unreliable names instead of here and now producers is a major problem in play.

Space for the running backs is the most pressing problem. That even affects ability to score in the Red Zone.

That may improve, but that is the seat of current momentum failures and the cause of instability...period.

B is my team grade...potential, but the engine needs mechanical repair on the motor...now.

John813

Reaction score
Agree for the most part.
Nitpicking, but I don't see a huge drop off from Tyron. Is he still in his prime? No. Is he still very good? I'd say yes. Is he made of glass? Yes.
Something is off with the line, and if I had to guess it's due to trying to change up their technique along with obvious formations.

Jarntt

Reaction score
There has been a lot that has been frustrating so far this year, but don't forget 3 weeks out of 6 so far we were basically the best team in the NFL. So I see a lot of C and worse grades for a team that is right now the first wild card team if the season ended today.

My opinion of this team is we are exactly who we have been so far. A team that on any week can look like the best team in the entire league and a SB favorite or one of the worst teams. I hate to point fingers when this clearly is a team with some flaws, but that leads me to believe our coaching needs to be a little better than it has so far. Stress those strengths and hide those weaknesses. Great time for the bye. Go Cowboys!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The Offensive overall grade can't be a passing grade. I'm sorry, it has to be a D ..... at best.

I lean lower as they are near the bottom of the league in a lot of categories and it's just been ugly to watch for the most part.

Scotman

Reaction score
It’s not even mid-season yet but we are at the break. Only 6 games in with 11 to go, there’s a ton of football left to play and we’re still trying to figure out what this team is. Nevertheless, here are my grades for the most important pieces of the team:

• Mike McCarthy- C. He has at least brought the ability to bounce back after a loss with his 10-1 record after a loss since ‘21. His revamp of the offense has been a dud so far and his in-game management and stupid penalty numbers are concerning. But he’s way better than Garrett and somehow keeps the Jones boys happy.
  • Dan Quinn- B+. The defense is clearly the team’s strength and Quinn has done a good job of using his people well. The SF game was hopefully an outlier to what has otherwise been an excellent start for the D.
OFFENSE: Overall Grade: C- (clearly a slow and disjointed start. Must improve if we have plans for playoff glory)
  • QB- Dak: C- Has clearly struggled in the new offense. His best game was Mon night vs the Chargers because he seemed to start relying more on what made him more successful early in his career. Running the ball on occasion and passing on the move.
  • RBs- C. Tony Pollard-His injury seems to have hampered his explosiveness somewhat. I like Pollard a lot but I’m concerned he’s not a RB who needs more than 15 touches a game. Dowdell needs more touches but honestly this team is way too light at this position.
  • WRs- C- Cedee Lamb been our best offensive player for sure and warrants a B. But he needs to stop the pouting. Maybe he’s uptight about his contract but we’re going to need him a ton down the stretch. Michael Gallup is an F. He’s nothing like he was before his knee injury. No burst, poor routes. Just sad. Maybe he can rebound. We have to hope so because it’s hard to throw to a guy who’s never open. Brandin Cooks: D. I think Cooks is getting better as evidenced against the chargers. He needs to stretch the field more.
  • TEs. Grade: C-. Jake Ferguson has shown flashes of good but he needs to be more reliable. Schoonmaker is clearly on a rookie learning curve. Hendershot is hurt while Sean McKeon has been reliably average.
  • OL Grade: D. This group has struggled more than expected. Early injuries and little time to work together has hurt. Tyron Smith has been a shadow of his once greatness and Zack Martin has shown less dominance. Pass protection has been well below standard and the run game has been spotty. This group has to improve if we want to compete.
DEFENSE Overall Grade: B+ (would have been an A except for the cards and niners games. Great at times, puzzling on occasion)
  • DL Grade: A- Parsons has been great most of the time, but he needs some maturity added to his game. He’s the clear best player on this team. Worry about him wearing down. D-Law: He’s one of the most underrated defensive players in the league. Best run defender on DL, doesn’t get a lot sacks but he is very disruptive. Osa Odighizhua has been a pleasant surprise while Mazi Smith has been a minor disappointment but he’s still developing.
  • LB Grade: C. LVE is hurt again but he’s been very inconsistent. Has good moments then has a game like Ariz and SF. Damone Clark had a good game in LA and shows some development. This position needs help.
  • Secondary Grade: B+. Even with the loss of Diggs, this group has performed pretty well. Daron Bland has been very good and Stephon Gilmore seems to be getting more comfortable in his role. The safeties have been good not great. The development of Marquese Bell has been encouraging.
  • K Grade: A+. Rookie Brandon Aubrey has been the most consistently reliable player on the team. Great find by the Cowboys,
  • Returns Grade: C+. Turpin has been hurt so there’s not much to show for him. He did have a great punt return called back against Ariz.
OVERALL TEAM GRADE: B-. Being 4-2 is good but not great. This team has warts. The offense must improve and probably needs some new talent infused through a trade. We need a LB on defense too. The D has carried this team but Big Mac needs to fix the offense and the penalties or this team is just another above average team that doesn’t win much in the playoffs. The FO needs to make some moves!

What are your grades?
These seem really fair to me. I don't know that I would change any of them. I probably give Quinn a B- because the defense seems to be trending down. But I also have zero issue with your grade or justification.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Great writeup as always Bob, agreed with all minus two.

DLine im gonna drop it to a B: Osa, Parsons, DLAW have been great. But outside of them im not seeing much. Dorance Armstrong has had two good seasons and this season hes been graded poorly and almost not even there. Sam Williams looked to be very promising but raw, and this season has been disappointing. I think theyre doing great vs the run, however their pass rush has deteriorated, its not terrible as theyre getting pressures, but im not seeing that dominance anymore.

Secondary is a C-: Too many times QBs are tossing to someone wide, wide open. Loss of diggs has really hurt as he really stepped up his coverage, Gilmore is way too slow for man, however his game iq makes up for it sometimes. Bland is great but you already said what i was going to say. The rest of the CBs and our safeties in coverage has been a relative weakness.

These two really work off each other and a weakness in one area hurts the other, QB able to get it out faster hurts the rush, and the rush taking longer to get there buys the QB more time.

blueblood70

Reaction score

What are your grades?
you mean dan quinn somehow gets a pass for his penalties on his side of the ball lats few weeks i believe the Defense has more flags and yards.?? an outlier?? I guess you missed the AZ game..just as bad against a worst set of players. Got owned most of that game. So c+ for both or b+ for both which is it? i wont allow the hypocrisy. DQ has been as inconsistent and needs to be held accountable.

Overall, 1 game back i believe from the best of the league?? warts all teams have them, we saw that the last 2 weeks.

Bills lost to the jest and nearly lost to the giants, we beat both handedly.

Eagles lose to the Jets struggle against the Pats , we beat both handedly

9ers lost to the browns

Chiefs have had lot of close calls this years don't look as strong this year..

Lions and Mia are the surprise, and we will get the chance to prove ourselves against them.

I dont see a clear cut dominant team this year and it's a week-to-week league and it's when you pay a team home or away and who are you aopr they missing in terms of key payers ie are they or you at full strength?? where do you play them home or away, that settles a lot of those fine line on whose actually better....its true

in my opinion we can make a lot of ad....the buy but i see us having every bit the same chances as soem of those teams we are 1 game away from..

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
GM Jerry Jones D+
His lack of accountability trickles down throughout the entire organization.
Until we get a professional GM
it hardly matters as GM is the most important position on the team.
Yep, totally ignorant. Just look how stupid they were with the kicker.

quickccc

Reaction score

What are your grades?

Good news is this team is 4-2

Bad news is this team is challenged offensively and turned into way conservative per head coach.

The Arizona and Niners game exposed us and we’re gonna have challenging battles in upcoming schedule.
Ya’ll can think the Jones are happy with McCarthy ? ... but I don’t.

Methinks the Jones want coaches that will bring out the very best in Dak Prescott - they do not want a coach that is just the opposite and seems “ scared “ of Dak .

A major huge future contract is depending upon what he shows in performance
And a dink and dunk, play scared, conservative offense is Not the epideme opposite prototype way the Jones want to see Prescott displayed in ..

- We trade for one of the games better speed WRs in Brandin Cook, but yet he’s totally shelled
in a dink dunk offense ?

- We have one of the fastest, big play splash RBs in Pollard - yet we scheme him to be a pounding bell cow RB ?

This offense clearly has not taken a step forward in being a better prepared for vs Niners ... if anything we've
managed to take two steps backwards.. since McCarthy has taken over the offense.

The supposed luxury of an offensive HC is a foundation of an explosive offense will always stay here
... ala Shanahan, McDaniels, McVey, Reid we don't have that with da Mac ,..

I really believe McCarthy days are numbered ! Tick, Tick Tick,

Havic

Reaction score
B.

Too many penalties, can’t run the ball well are the two biggest issues. We open up the run game it would help dak out and just maybe we could open up the playbook more

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Offense C- overall.
It is a bit hard to give individual or groups grades, as one group affects the others. So here are mine anyway.

QB - C not horrible but could, should be better.
RB - D and it is not all on the OL, just not impressed overall.
WR - C, the trio is not producing like we thought. Not yet.
TE - C, but they do not seem as involved as they were in past years, again this is more play calling, or something else.
OL - C+, I may be one of few thinking they are just a bit better than most say. Health to start the season effected the overall play. They only had what 3 games now with the new offense to start to gel.

Defense B overall
Because they had 2 games where they just did not show up.

DT - B, the run game up the middle much improved.
DE - B-, sacks have not been there lately like they started out, now is that because they put more of an emphasis on containing the outside runs.
CB - B-, seems they dodge some bullets as to getting beat deep or to the sidelines, could be better, but not horrible
S - C, Don't really hear their names too much, but that could be a good thing, but they aren't ball hawking either.
LB - D, because we don't have any, and have S's playing LB too often.

ST's - B
Just seems something could be better.

K - A+, nothing else to say
P- A, Anger still can kick decent.
PR - C, Nothing exciting so far, And the muffed punt was bad
PR defending it, D, give up too many longer runbacks for my liking.
KR - C, but really can't say much, but what returns there were, not impressed.
KR defending, A, all KO's been touchbacks, I think only 1 returned so far all year.

Coaching - C
Discipline and penalties, actually, F there.

Offense - C, Play calling, still waiting to see more. So is it the calls or the execution from the players. But I like he is not getting cute with stupid plays.
Defense - B, be cause of the 2 let down game in the losses.
ST's - B, Just seems something could be better in the return game.