Cowboys had Chidobe Awuzie graded highest among CBs remaining after draft's first round

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
https://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/...d-highest-among-corners-remaining-first-round

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Monday that Dallas had Chidobe Awuzie, one of its 29 pre-draft visitors, "rated higher than the other corners that were left after the first round."

If they didn't get him, they might be in trouble.

"We were holding our breath," Jones said on SiriusXM NFL Radio's Movin' The Chains show. "After him, if you ever had a twinge to want to move up, he was the one."

After the Cowboys picked Awuzie, only two more corners were drafted -- Ahkello Witherspoon and Fabian Moreau -- before they were back on the clock in the third round. Dallas used that pick on another cornerback, Michigan's Jourdan Lewis.

Jones provided the following scouting report on Awuzie:

"In Rod's system he loves the nickels to be able to blitz and have the skills to do it," Jones said. "He's got that in spades. He's actually [a little over] 5-11. He's right at 6-foot. We think at some point maybe he's an outside corner.

"He can go in, you can kick him out, you can kick him back and play safety. On top of that, he's smart as a whip. He has all the football character and has all the off-the-field character. He's the type of football player you want in your organization."

He impresses me with his ability to articulate things. I seen him speak and he seems very intelligent and well spoken on top of being a SPARC plug.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I think after he gets burned a few times (knock on wood) they will eventually let Awoozie take his place. He seems made for the RCB position.

I hope all the rookies show up well, so we can cut Carroll.

Maybe thats just me.

Sidenote, no LB was taken in a mostly defensive draft......must have alot of faith in Jaylon.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
LOGAMENERD.jpg

I like that nerd :eek:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If the draft rumors about Scandrick mean anything, Carroll starts as an outside corner along with Brown and Awusie plays the slot. Since they haven't traded Scandrick, though, it may mean he competes for one of those three spots and the best three win.

Perhaps we'd best wait for TC and the regular season to start before arriving at premature conclusions about who will start and who won't. There are several good candidates besides Carroll who might well qualify as being worthy of a starting status. I'm totally in favor of pulling for the best man to win. Draft rumors abound and so many are nothing more than erroneous assumptions. We'll know what gives when it actually happens.

Last edited:

DBOY3141

Reaction score
If Awuzie was there highest rated CB after the 1st round end, and only 2 were taking until their pick at 60... Lewis most have been rated pretty darn high.

I'm thinking taco and Awuzie were rated high 2nd round and Lewis was ranked mid to late 2nd? Does that sound about right to anyone else?
At the Day 3 press conference, SJ said they drafted 3 players with 2nd grades. have to assume it was Taco, Cheto, and Lewis.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I think after he gets burned a few times (knock on wood) they will eventually let Awoozie take his place. He seems made for the RCB position.

I think we will see these guys line up in various packages and in various positions. Brown is the only one I see with an outside CB-only role.

Verdict

Reaction score
The final nail in the coffin of Kevin King/BPA apologists.

Well if King was lower on their board he would be,by definition, NOT the BPA. That potion of your post doesn't really make sense.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Perhaps we'd best wait for TC and the regular season to start before arriving at premature conclusions about who will start and who won't. There are several good candidates besides Carroll who might well qualify as being worthy of a starting status. I'm totally in favor of pulling for the best man to win. Draft rumors abound and so many are nothing more than erroneous assumptions. We'll know what gives when it actually happens.

Yeah, I'm just playing with the information. We don't even know at this point whether Awusie and Lewis will boom or bust, if Brown will take a step back, if Carroll has any game left or whether Scandrick can get back to who he was before the injury.

We've hedged our bets with lots of options, so I think we'll be able to find a pretty good top three at least but there are lots of questions to be answered.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just playing with the information. We don't even know at this point whether Awusie and Lewis will boom or bust, if Brown will take a step back, if Carroll has any game left or whether Scandrick can get back to who he was before the injury.

We've hedged our bets with lots of options, so I think we'll be able to find a pretty good top three at least but there are lots of questions to be answered.

True, it sounds about right to say that there are many questions to be answered, although I think it's very likely more a matter of time than anything else before our newfound rookies, who have demonstrated having impressive talents in college, make the required adjustments to the pro game.

At least, I'm extremely hopeful that will be the case. I'm just careful about naming who will or won't be a starter, mostly due to the very promising talents of our rookie challengers and probably some of our 2nd year players as well. Some good options are there.

Granted, Carroll might well take a starting spot at first, although I think It's likely just a matter of time before one of the up-and-coming rookies show something that can't be denied. Anyhow, we'll soon see who desrves what. ;)

Last edited: