Cowboys have bad timing with Contracts

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Signing a guy a year late, what stops them from holding out after a couple years? If a player is going to hold out when they signed their contract wont really effect that. It may effect when they hold out, but most likely not if they will or wont.

To me if a player sits out then a player sits out. Either a team can meet the contract demands, trade them, or let them sit.

If a player holds out they wont get paid and they wont get credit for a year of their contract. I'm not completely against guys holding out on occasion, but the teams hold so much leverage if they choose to take it. The issue with holdouts is teams rarely use the leverage they have.
When you set the market honor your contract

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CeeDee Lamb had demonstrated having freakish athletic ability before getting drafted. Top line speed is what Lamb does not match with Justin Jefferson and J'Marr Chase, although I do not believe he is that much 'slower' compared with Davante Adams.

Plus, it would be difficult for any receiver to showcase their skills as being 'top/elite' when their receiving opportunities do not match the level of 'top/elite'. I have been mentally begging for the offense to let Lamb loose since day one. I was glad when the decision was finally made last season. And my fantasy team was very appreciative of his shackles getting unlocked as well, lol.
CD has outside receiver dimensions, who cuts better than most slot receivers.

Motorola

Reaction score
When was the last time a player sat out 1 year much less a couple?
2018___Pittsburgh Steelers placed the franchise tag on RB Le'Veon Bell (for the second consecutive year).
He refused to sign it - and sat out the entire 2018 season.

75boyz

Reaction score
Not only is the timing bad but the lack of production received out of most all second contracts given is historically poor.
After the fact...
The play for pay return on investment is 9 times out of 10 referred to as a mistake when speaking in hindsight.

Performance never matches production.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Many fans and pundits criticize the Cowboys for not getting contracts done with their top players and then having to pay top dollar.
Take Cee Dee. Up until last year, he never really demonstrated that he was a Top/Elite Receiver. He doesn't have the freakish athletic ability like Jefferson, Chase, Adams, etc.
He was a very reliable receiver and improved in his catching, but just by the eyeball test, he never demonstrated he was an "Elite" receiver.
Last year, he seemed to reach a new level. At that point, I'm sure CD and his reps knew he would get a nicer contract by playing it out and they were right.
Dak has demonstrated good regular season stats but his well know playoff lack of success is his biggest knock, also the fact that his record against elite teams isn't that impressive. The QB market is what it is. I'm sure the Cowboys get heartburn paying a QB with Dak's track record top of the market.
We are in a quandary with Parsons now because while he has elite DE talent, he hasn't shown that he is able to maintain that throughout the season.
Now, I'm sure the Cowboys have to worried that they will have to pay him $30 million a year knowing that he tends to wear down. Given that he is undersized to play DE and has not shown he can consistently provide/maintain his freakish ability throughout the season, that's a lot of money to knowing the realities. I think they know that he can't maintain his freakish ability for years to come because his abilities will diminish each year just like any other player.
Jerry has become very hesitant/skittish on paying these big contracts after years of doing so and seeing no real success. I'm sure he is jaded due to that and it gives him heartburn being forced to keep doing it.
lol. Jerry waits for others to sign then says “we won’t set the market.” The front office is run by buffoons

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
2018___Pittsburgh Steelers placed the franchise tag on RB Le'Veon Bell (for the second consecutive year).
He refused to sign it - and sat out the entire 2018 season.
That’s 1 and he was a head case that soon was out of the league.

Motorola

Reaction score
Less because no context. That dude was bat **** crazy.
I wasn't concerned with the context.
Looked at your comment as a bare-bones question -and responded right away with whom I thought it was.
Just as if your question was "Who led the League in rushing last season?"

And 100% agree on Bell being nutty; smoking weed and drinking with girlfriend and teammate - just before DRIVING TO THE AIRPORT TO CATCH THE TEAM CHARTER TO AN AWAY PRESEASON GAME.

Last edited:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If a player doesn't woo you by year 3, he is likely not a dog and playing you for a contract in year 4 or 5. Parsons is a generational dog. I don't trust CD. Dak is what he is. The Cowboys were foolish not to lock Dak up at the beginning of 2023 if they plan on keeping him.

Flamma

Reaction score
That's not bad timing it's poor execution by your front office that is completely unwilling to take even the slightest risk.

Take Lamb for example. His stats his first three years....

74/935/5
79/1102/6
107/1359/9

What did we think was going to happen? The guy was already the #1 target for the offense and putting up WR1 numbers. They could have locked him up after year 3 for a significantly smaller number, but elected to go the "prove it" route. Now I'm assuming that Lamb would have been willing to sign a year early, I can't say for sure if that is true or not.

The issue is the Cowboys wont make up their minds on players until their walk year when the price skyrockets. Make a decision on a player a year early and either sign them at a lower rate or trade them while they have multiple controllable years left to net you significant draft value. A failure to evaluate a player after year 3 is not a player issue, but a failure of the front office.
Here's the big issue. Yeah, they should have paid CD after his third year, but I think the reason they didn't was because they paid Diggs that year. Having two big contracts run at the same time is not ideal. However, in hindsight it would have been the right thing to do. Because now they could pay Parsons, and what to do with Dak? It's not an easy situation. But what makes this a lot worse is that they waited an extra year.

If they don't pay anyone this year too, it will be a complete disaster. I have a feeling we're not keeping all three players.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
no such thing as bad timing. They go up EVERY YEAR. Sign today and you pay top dollar... two years later the deal looks good. The cap goes up and up and up.

Who cares? It is what it is.

I paid 150 dollars for endzone seats ot the 1992 NFC title game against the 49ers. Those same tickets today would be 1500 bucks.