Cowboys have become the "black sheep" of DFW sports

Zordon

Reaction score
The other three sports teams in DFW are on fire right now.

Dallas Stars - Young talent/best team in the NHL, GM Jim Nill has built a juggernaut
Texas Rangers - World Series champs, great start to the season, mix of young talent/FA vets
Dallas Mavericks - hottest team in the NBA, sleeper to win the title, Kyrie/Luka flourishing, excellent trade acquistions

Then you have Dumb & Dumber. Total lack of ambition. They destroy the spirit of the fanbase every time they open their mouths.

jerry-stephen.jpg

Last edited:

shabazz

Reaction score
Hockey is an incredible sport. It's actually more like football in speed and toughness than basketball or baseball.

Football fans need to go to a minor league or pro hockey game and they will be hooked.

Hockey players take a 90mph puck to the face, get 40 stitches and get back in the same game.......NBA players take off games to rest and play video games.

Go STARS!!!!!!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since 1995…the Cowboys last SB…even their last divisional playoff win…here’s how the other 3 pro teams in Dallas have done:
  • Dallas Stars Hockey- 1 Stanley Cup, 3 Western Conference championships in 4 appearances
  • Dallas Mavericks Basketball: 1 NBA championship, 2 Western conference championships in 4 appearances
  • Texas Rangers Baseball: 1 World Series championship, 3 American League championships in 3 appearances
Combined the 3 “other” Dallas teams have 3 championships, 11 conference championship appearances and 8 conference championships. The Cowboys? Zero championships, zero conference championship appearances, That pretty much says it all.

As a side note, the Cowboys are the only one of the four DFW sports teams whose owner is also the GM. Hmmmmm…..

Rayman70

Reaction score
the thread title says what we all kinda already knew. Water is wet I suppose. lol...the easy fix is win big games, and this goes away fast.

Zordon

Reaction score
Since 1995…the Cowboys last divisional playoff win, here’s how the other 3 pro teams in Dallas have done:
  • Dallas Stars Hockey- 1 Stanley Cup, 3 Western Conference championships in 4 appearances
  • Dallas Mavericks Basketball: 1 NBA championship, 2 Western conference championships in 4 appearances
  • Texas Rangers Baseball: 1 World Series championship, 3 American League championships in 3 appearances
Combined the 3 “other” Dallas teams have 3 championships, 11 conference championship appearances and 8 conference championships. The Cowboys? Zero championships, zero conference championship appearances, That pretty much says it all.

As a side note, the Cowboys are the only one of the four DFW sports teams whose owner is also the GM. Hmmmmm…..
The gap has become so pronounced now, it's unavoidable to not take notice how the other three franchises are run compared to the mom & pop shop in Frisco.

I can't emphasis enough how much they have lost their grip on this city. I know many who post here are not from the area and cannot fathom the Cowboys not being the epicenter of sports discussion in the Metroplex. But Dallasites really have checked out on them this offseason. Something feels different about this current point in time.

This upcoming season is going to be interesting to follow. I won't be surprised if this is the first year we see lots of empty seats at AT&T.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm a Stars fan, but it has nothing to do with Dallas, or because I'm a Cowboys fan. I was a long time Minnesota Northstars fan going back to the 80s.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Dallas Stars - Young talent/best team in the NHL, GM Jim Nill has built a juggernaut
Texas Rangers - World Series champs, great start to the season, mix of young talent/FA vets
Dallas Mavericks - hottest team in the NBA, sleeper to win the title, Kyrie/Luka flourishing, excellent trade acquistions

Then you have Dumb & Dumber. Total lack of ambition. They destroy the spirit of the fanbase every time they open their mouths.

jerry-stephen.jpg

which one is the most valued franchise anywhere?

Jones' have accomplished what they set out to do. it wasn't winning championships

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

jerry-stephen.jpg

Look at Jed and Jethro sitting there looking lost.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Since 1995…the Cowboys last SB…even their last divisional playoff win…here’s how the other 3 pro teams in Dallas have done:

Yeah but they think they are close. Almost there.

That’s the important part, and no one knows more than them.

Adreme

Reaction score
Please tell me no one is actually betting on Mavs to be a title contender. Reminds me of earlier this year when people were betting the Clippers.

RS12

Reaction score
Meh. They are just a typical company that tells you what you want to hear while their actual goal is to get you to put money in their coffers. The product doesn't matter nearly as much as the marketing.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I know Dallas loves Luka, and I hate to say it, but I’m not sure he’s going to be anything other than another James Harden. Perennial high scorer who takes all the team’s shots, but playoff disaster every year. I.e. Dak. LOL.

I do agree though that the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Stars look to be in better shape.

CWR

Reaction score
The gap has become so pronounced now, it's unavoidable to not take notice how the other three franchises are run compared to the mom & pop shop in Frisco.

I can't emphasis enough how much they have lost their grip on this city. I know many who post here are not from the area and cannot fathom the Cowboys not being the epicenter of sports discussion in the Metroplex. But Dallasites really have checked out on them this offseason. Something feels different about this current point in time.

This upcoming season is going to be interesting to follow. I won't be surprised if this is the first year we see lots of empty seats at AT&T.
Any post they make on Instagram gets absolutely roasted by our fans. I've never seen so many of us universally upset. Jerry is too arrogant to see he's entering uncharted territory, but if this season doesn't go well its going to become exponentially worse for the FO. People see through them now, and realize it's money first then championships a distant second.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
which one is the most valued franchise anywhere?

Jones' have accomplished what they set out to do. it wasn't winning championships
I agree. But what they may not realize is they are setting up a decline in fan support and value for their children and grandchildren if this 28 years and counting putrid playoff performance continues. Eventually, the younger fans will just follow other teams. It’s already happening.

My three sons (now 40, 38 and 36) all grew up watching Cowboys games with me and their grandads. My oldest son was 12 the last time the Cowboys played even in a conference championship game. Now they see the Cowboys as a joke. They love the Mavs, stars and rangers because they have all won more glory than the Cowboys since they became adults.

Jerry and the Jones family are raking it in. But they are risking losing all the work that started way before Jerry ever owned the team. The Cowboys before Jerry won 20 playoff games between 1960-1988. Thats 20 playoff wins in 29 seasons. Under Jerry, they have won 16 playoff games in 35 seasons, but 12 of those 16 wins happened between 1991-96.

Whatever anyone thinks about Jerry running this team, he has long proven his business genius. But he has equally proven when it comes to building a team that wins in the playoffs, without a strong coach like Jimmy Johnson with a lot of authority, Jerry doesn’t know what he’s doing. It’s not even arguable at this point.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree. But what they may not realize is they are setting up a decline in fan support and value for their children and grandchildren if this 28 years and counting putrid playoff performance continues. Eventually, the younger fans will just follow other teams. It’s already happening.

My three sons (now 40, 38 and 36) all grew up watching Cowboys games with me and their grandads. My oldest son was 12 the last time the Cowboys played even in a conference championship game. Now they see the Cowboys as a joke. They love the Mavs, stars and rangers because they have all won more glory than the Cowboys since they became adults.

Jerry and the Jones family are raking it in. But they are risking losing all the work that started way before Jerry ever owned the team. The Cowboys before Jerry won 20 playoff games between 1960-1988. Thats 20 playoff wins in 29 seasons. Under Jerry, they have won 16 playoff games in 35 seasons, but 12 of those 16 wins happened between 1991-96.

Whatever anyone thinks about Jerry running this team, he has long proven his business genius. But he has equally proven when it comes to building a team that wins in the playoffs, without a strong coach like Jimmy Johnson with a lot of authority, Jerry doesn’t know what he’s doing. It’s not even arguable at this point.
jones market to the fringe fans, not die hard fans. most die hard fans will complain and continue to follow, but fringe fans are there for the experience, their emotional investment is much less than the die hard fans. also, those the ones that go to the games for the experience, buy merchandise to be part of the crowd, casual followers who go "oh well" after a losss and go "great" after a win. and Jones is a master marketer. he knows the end run with Dak is coming. he knew the end run with Romo was coming and got lucky with Dak and given the success that year, let it ride (his mistake). and now, he will bring the Dak run to an end, probably tank so he gets a top 5, top 10 pick. pick a QB, pump him up, sell jerseys. if he gets a 5 or 6 year run, great, cha ching, after 5 or 6 years do it again. he is a master at spin, creating hope and keeping fans interested. if the QB he picks is great, then even better for him. its not about championships. its about how to market the cowboys. he is a business genius, but not a good GM.