Cowboys have mixed feelings on Owens - TODD ARCHER

RedLine

Reaction score
Cowboys have mixed feelings on Owens
[size=-1][/size]
[size=-1]01:23 PM CST on Wednesday, November 23, 2005
[/size]
[size=-1]By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News[/size]

IRVING – The road to landing Terrell Owens - if the Cowboys want him - became easier Wednesday.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch upheld the Philadelphia Eagles' decision to suspend the receiver for four games and deactivate him for the rest of the season, which means the Eagles are more likely to cut Owens in the off-season.

Had Bloch ruled in favor of Owens, the Eagles likely would have cut him, which would have subjected him to waivers at this point of the year. Houston, owners of the worst record, would have had the first crack at Owens.

Now, it is more likely Owens will be an unrestricted free agent, able to sign with any team, including the Cowboys.

While Bill Parcells has said he is too old to coach "jerks" and the Cowboys put a huge emphasis on character in recent years, owner and general manager Jerry Jones did not rule out the possibility of adding Owens on his radio show on KTCK (1310 AM).

"I'm avoiding, deliberately avoiding, saying whether or not the Cowboys would be interested," Jones said the other day. "He's a player that is a competitive player. He's an outstanding addition to an offense ... In general, I am a risk-taker."

Jones mentioned Alonzo Spellman, who had 76 tackles and 10 sacks in two years (1999-2000) after battling mental health problems, as an example of his chance taking. He also said Drew Bledsoe's ability to get the ball down the field would be a competitive reason to be interested in Owens.

Inside the locker room, several players had an open mind about the possibility of Owens joining the team in the future.

"Not this year; maybe next year, but not this year," Pro Bowl defensive tackle La'Roi Glover said. "Because we've got our thing going right now. We've got chemistry. We've got confidence. We don't have a lot of distractions right now within our locker room, so I don't think we'd want that right now. But next year if he gets it together and leaves the baggage outside the facility, you never know what may happen."

But would Parcells want a player like Owens?

"If he could play," Glover said. "If he can help the team win, sure. But once again if he's got all that drama going on, no."

Offensive captain Dan Campbell is not so sure he would want Owens.

"I didn't know about Terry Glenn and Keyshawn (Johnson) until they got here and once they got here I'm glad they're here," Campbell said. "I love playing with those guys. Now before that? I didn't know them. My first thought (regarding Owens) would probably be, 'No,' right now. But that wouldn't mean if he got here it would continue to be that way."

Cornerback Terence Newman had perhaps the wittiest answer when asked if would want Owens on his team, referring to the bizarre press conference held outside Owens' home with agent Drew Rosenhaus.

"Next question."

1fisher

Reaction score
RedLine said:
Cowboys have mixed feelings on Owens
[size=-1][/size]
[size=-1]01:23 PM CST on Wednesday, November 23, 2005
[/size]
[size=-1]By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News[/size]

IRVING – The road to landing Terrell Owens - if the Cowboys want him - became easier Wednesday.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch upheld the Philadelphia Eagles' decision to suspend the receiver for four games and deactivate him for the rest of the season, which means the Eagles are more likely to cut Owens in the off-season.

Had Bloch ruled in favor of Owens, the Eagles likely would have cut him, which would have subjected him to waivers at this point of the year. Houston, owners of the worst record, would have had the first crack at Owens.

Now, it is more likely Owens will be an unrestricted free agent, able to sign with any team, including the Cowboys.

While Bill Parcells has said he is too old to coach "jerks" and the Cowboys put a huge emphasis on character in recent years, owner and general manager Jerry Jones did not rule out the possibility of adding Owens on his radio show on KTCK (1310 AM).

"I'm avoiding, deliberately avoiding, saying whether or not the Cowboys would be interested," Jones said the other day. "He's a player that is a competitive player. He's an outstanding addition to an offense ... In general, I am a risk-taker."

Jones mentioned Alonzo Spellman, who had 76 tackles and 10 sacks in two years (1999-2000) after battling mental health problems, as an example of his chance taking. He also said Drew Bledsoe's ability to get the ball down the field would be a competitive reason to be interested in Owens.

Inside the locker room, several players had an open mind about the possibility of Owens joining the team in the future.

"Not this year; maybe next year, but not this year," Pro Bowl defensive tackle La'Roi Glover said. "Because we've got our thing going right now. We've got chemistry. We've got confidence. We don't have a lot of distractions right now within our locker room, so I don't think we'd want that right now. But next year if he gets it together and leaves the baggage outside the facility, you never know what may happen."

But would Parcells want a player like Owens?

"If he could play," Glover said. "If he can help the team win, sure. But once again if he's got all that drama going on, no."

Offensive captain Dan Campbell is not so sure he would want Owens.

"I didn't know about Terry Glenn and Keyshawn (Johnson) until they got here and once they got here I'm glad they're here," Campbell said. "I love playing with those guys. Now before that? I didn't know them. My first thought (regarding Owens) would probably be, 'No,' right now. But that wouldn't mean if he got here it would continue to be that way."

Cornerback Terence Newman had perhaps the wittiest answer when asked if would want Owens on his team, referring to the bizarre press conference held outside Owens' home with agent Drew Rosenhaus.

"Next question."

Newman = :lmao2:

NotReally

Reaction score
i doubt the Eagles are too eager to send TO our way.

Considering what he's done to the LAST TWO TEAMS HE WAS ON I'm not so sure they wouldn't GIVE HIM TO US!!! LOL!

TwentyOne

Reaction score
RedLine said:

After the decission by Richard Bloch it is clear that Owens can join the Cowboys earliest next offseason. That means there are no plans to let Hutch start next year at QB.

Just my observation....

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Well, it looks like my instant analysis of the arbitrator's ruling matches with Archer's analysis. That guy is a genius of a writer! :write: :D

One thing's for sure, it will be a veeeery interesting off-season. That much IS for sure!!!!! :wink2:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan said:
Still have to trade for him....i doubt the Eagles are too eager to send TO our way.

he'll be cut before the start of the free agency period...nobody is going to trade for him because they all know he has no chance of staying with Philly

David

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
he'll be cut before the start of the free agency period...nobody is going to trade for him because they all know he has no chance of staying with Philly

David

It is possible that a team would try to make a trade if they felt other teams were interested and did not want to compete with them for T.O. having said that I don't think many will be looking to get him at all.

RedLine

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David

A team would make a trade if they really wanted TO. They would do it to make sure thay got him. Once he is cut he can go where ever he wants (provided he is wanted). However, based on his history that would be a huge gamble.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
RedLine said:
A team would make a trade if they really wanted TO. .

thats the key phrase...and with his turd ways, nobody is going to want to give up a bag of cow dung for him

David

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David

Agree. You can see it coming. T.O. is released, no one will trade for him, because if he doesn't want to be there he will destroy the team. He ends up signing an incentive based deal somewhere.

RedLine

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
thats the key phrase...and with his turd ways, nobody is going to want to give up a bag of cow dung for him

David

I agree, but I am always surprised to see what teams / GMs are willing to do.
"I am a risk-taker" - Jerry Jones

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
It is possible that a team would try to make a trade if they felt other teams were interested and did not want to compete with them for T.O. having said that I don't think many will be looking to get him at all.

That's what the Skins did with Brunell. It was a preemptive strike.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
bbgun said:
That's what the Skins did with Brunell. It was a preemptive strike.

We did it with Key. Dallas sent Galloway to Tampa in return for Key. It just prevents other teams getting involved.

Reaction score
I thought when it was a vet being cut/fired that it wouldn't be the same as a waiver wire situation?
Meaning he could sign with whoever he wanted to?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Nobody will trade for him. No way. Why? Because the only way and I mean the only way a team takes him on is if a) they think TO really wants to be there and b) they have a team friendly deal. The list of potential suitors won't be that long anyway. I can't see a team giving a pick to beat out another team when TO's demands are a much, much bigger factor anyway. I can see TO getting cut and remaining unsigned for a long time. The market for TO is going to be a buyer's market, much more that TO and Rosendope think. Their combined egos will make it hard for them to accept the kind of contract teams will be offering.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
I am disappointed that the arbitrator upheld the Eagles' actions. If he had been waived by the Eagles then he would have gone to some bad team and would not have gone to a team within our division. Also, he would not have wound up in Dallas. Sometimes, fate has to intervene to save Jerry from himself.

Now, when he is released, he might wind up in Dallas. I don't mind him going to Houston or TN or SF, etc. but I don't want him in the NFC East at all.