Cowboys Have Tough Decisions This Off-Season

McMicah

Reaction score
So many solid contributors are set to be UFAs this off-season. I’d prefer not signing OBJ to use the rollover money and keep a couple extra of these. Plus you probably need to pay Diggs…

Who do you think is coming back?

Dalton Schultz
Anthony Brown
LVE
Dante Fowler
Donovan Wilson
Tony Pollard
Anthony Barr
CJ Goodwin
Jason Peters
Jonathan Hankins
Noah Brown
James Washington
Carlos Watkins
Cooper Rush
Brett Maher
Connor McGovern
Terrence Steele (RFA)

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Tony Pollard is an interesting one. I don't think you need to invest a lot in RB's (Zeke's contract is terrible imo), but that dude is a home run hitter, and seemed to handle a larger workload pretty well when he had to. His blocking could be better, but why are we judging any RB on that in the first place?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Tony Pollard is an interesting one. I don't think you need to invest a lot in RB's (Zeke's contract is terrible imo), but that dude is a home run hitter, and seemed to handle a larger workload pretty well when he had to. His blocking could be better, but why are we judging any RB on that in the first place?
They can franchise him

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Never draft a rb in first round and never sign one to a big contract.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
So many solid contributors are set to be UFAs this off-season. I’d prefer not signing OBJ to use the rollover money and keep a couple extra of these. Plus you probably need to pay Diggs…

Dalton Schultz
Anthony Brown
LVE
Dante Fowler
Donovan Wilson
Tony Pollard
Anthony Barr
CJ Goodwin
Jason Peters
Jonathan Hankins
Noah Brown
James Washington
Carlos Watkins
Cooper Rush
Brett Maher
Connor McGovern
Terrence Steele (RFA)
Dak's cap hit is 49 million next year, while Tank's is 26 million. You add in the nearly 20 free agents we have and it would be absolutely stupid to sign OBJ.

#ScrewOBJ.

exciter

Reaction score

Dalton Schultz
Anthony Brown
LVE
Dante Fowler
Donovan Wilson
Tony Pollard
Anthony Barr
CJ Goodwin
Jason Peters
Jonathan Hankins
Noah Brown
James Washington
Carlos Watkins
Cooper Rush
Brett Maher
Connor McGovern
Terrence Steele (RFA)
Pollard franchise, Steele 2nd round tender, Schultz, Maher will be priority, maybe on Hankins and McGovern depending on if they’ll sign on one year contracts.

GRCowboy

Reaction score

Dalton Schultz - Walk; replace with Ferguson/Hendershot/McKeon
Anthony Brown - Walk; replace with 1st or 2nd round CB
LVE - Walk; replace with Clark/Cox
Dante Fowler - Bring back on team friendly 2 year contract / 3-4m per
Donovan Wilson - Definitely brought back on team friendly 3-4 year contract / 5m per
Tony Pollard - Walk; draft replacements in mid to late rounds and UDFAs
Anthony Barr - Walks or retires. He's this year's Keanu Neal.
CJ Goodwin - Brought back at vet minimum for special teams purpose
Jason Peters - Retires or is brought back at vet minimum
Jonathan Hankins - Brought back for 1-2 years / 2-3m per and we attempt to draft his replacement
Noah Brown - Walk. Sick and tired of him. But I don't see him making a roster elsewhere, so we might as well bring him back for the vet minimum.
James Washington - Brought back for team friendly 1 year deal / near vet minimum
Carlos Watkins - Walks or is brought back for 1-2 year at or near vet minimum for depth
Cooper Rush - Definitely is kept and shouldn't be too expensive. 2-3m/year is going rate for the average QB2. He won't get a starting job elsewhere.
Brett Maher - Bring back on 4-5 year deal, hopefully below average league average for kicker position
Connor McGovern - Walk; similar to Williams last year, gets paid elsewhere and Smith is the LG of the future. Draft replacement depth mid-rounds.
Terrence Steele (RFA) - Definitely brought back, likely at 4-6 years / 6-8m per year

Never draft a rb in first round and never sign one to a big contract.
Exactly. I would let 20 walk and take the comp pick, and also sadly say goodbye to 21 as well. Draft 2-3 backs in mid to late rounds and also another 1-2 UDFAs in the mix, may the best cheap young backs make the team. RB is a draft and replace and committee job position. The main thing is having a premium OL in order to block for whoever. The ballcarrier himself is vastly less important.

Last edited:

McMicah

Reaction score
Pollard franchise, Steele 2nd round tender, Schultz, Maher will be priority, maybe on Hankins and McGovern depending on if they’ll sign on one year contracts.

I don’t know about the 2nd round tender. I’d take Steele for that in a heartbeat if I needed an OT. He’s a top 5 RT IMO

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Sounds like Stephen may end up looking smart this off-season. Naw, hell end up screwing that up somehow.

Havic

Reaction score
Anthony Brown
Donovan Wilson
Tony Pollard
CJ Goodwin
Noah Brown
Cooper Rush
Brett Maher
Connor McGovern
Terrence Steele (RFA)

Bout like this imo. Anthony Brown is going to depend on how the young guys fill the void this season.

I'd like to see Fowler back but I think we are going to have some cap issues and will just have to let him go. LVE is a nice piece for vet min.

plasticman

Reaction score
I don't think the decision is that tough. Just toss the Lombardi in the same case as the other five.

Of course, they should be rearranged where you have three on the right side and three on the left side

exciter

Reaction score
I don’t know about the 2nd round tender. I’d take Steele for that in a heartbeat if I needed an OT. He’s a top 5 RT IMO
Guessing they have a set amount of how much they’re willing to allocate for a right tackle (replaceable especially with 4th and 5th round picks already invested) Tender lets other team set his market with option to match if so desired. Top five is a bit optimistic, he’s nowhere near Lane Johnson Tristen Whirfs especially pass blocking!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Dalton Schultz
Anthony Brown
LVE
Dante Fowler
Donovan Wilson
Tony Pollard
Anthony Barr
CJ Goodwin
Jason Peters
Jonathan Hankins
Noah Brown
James Washington
Carlos Watkins
Cooper Rush
Brett Maher
Connor McGovern
Terrence Steele (RFA)
Gone:
Shultz
Peters
Brown
Barr
Fowler
Zeke if he does not take a pay cut.

Proof

Reaction score
Def the route to go IMO........especially since it appears the tag running backs could be less than $10M.

tag next year looks to be 12.5 mil for some reason (according to spotrac) that's ... not ideal. If we must to keep him from walking out the door, I'm all for it. But honestly hoping they can get him on an ekeler-esque deal personally. He doesn't have a lot of miles on him.