Cowboys Have Tough Decisions This Off-Season

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
So many solid contributors are set to be UFAs this off-season. I’d prefer not signing OBJ to use the rollover money and keep a couple extra of these. Plus you probably need to pay Diggs…

Who do you think is coming back?

Dalton Schultz
Anthony Brown
LVE
Dante Fowler
Donovan Wilson
Tony Pollard
Anthony Barr
CJ Goodwin
Jason Peters
Jonathan Hankins
Noah Brown
James Washington
Carlos Watkins
Cooper Rush
Brett Maher
Connor McGovern
Terrence Steele (RFA)

Pollard at a discount, Fowler, Maher, Mcgovern, Wilson and Steele...The rest can kick rocks..

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
If you cut Zeke next year you take a $12M cap hit and salvage less than $5M in the process. Sheesh that was such a stupid contract
Have read on here several times that it would be a cap neutral hit to cut him this off season.
But I am no cap expert

ryanbabs

Reaction score
So many solid contributors are set to be UFAs this off-season. I’d prefer not signing OBJ to use the rollover money and keep a couple extra of these. Plus you probably need to pay Diggs…

Dalton Schultz
Anthony Brown
LVE
Dante Fowler
Donovan Wilson
Tony Pollard
Anthony Barr
CJ Goodwin
Jason Peters
Jonathan Hankins
Noah Brown
James Washington
Carlos Watkins
Cooper Rush
Brett Maher
Connor McGovern
Terrence Steele (RFA)
Maker should be back. I hope they keep Pollard and Wilson. I think Rush stays unless some team wants to overpay or have him start. We’re about to find out how important Brown is (or was) I’m afraid.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dalton Schultz - Walk; replace with Ferguson/Hendershot/McKeon
Anthony Brown - Walk; replace with 1st or 2nd round CB
LVE - Walk; replace with Clark/Cox
Dante Fowler - Bring back on team friendly 2 year contract / 3-4m per
Donovan Wilson - Definitely brought back on team friendly 3-4 year contract / 5m per
Tony Pollard - Walk; draft replacements in mid to late rounds and UDFAs
Anthony Barr - Walks or retires. He's this year's Keanu Neal.
CJ Goodwin - Brought back at vet minimum for special teams purpose
Jason Peters - Retires or is brought back at vet minimum
Jonathan Hankins - Brought back for 1-2 years / 2-3m per and we attempt to draft his replacement
Noah Brown - Walk. Sick and tired of him. But I don't see him making a roster elsewhere, so we might as well bring him back for the vet minimum.
James Washington - Brought back for team friendly 1 year deal / near vet minimum
Carlos Watkins - Walks or is brought back for 1-2 year at or near vet minimum for depth
Cooper Rush - Definitely is kept and shouldn't be too expensive. 2-3m/year is going rate for the average QB2. He won't get a starting job elsewhere.
Brett Maher - Bring back on 4-5 year deal, hopefully below average league average for kicker position
Connor McGovern - Walk; similar to Williams last year, gets paid elsewhere and Smith is the LG of the future. Draft replacement depth mid-rounds.
Terrence Steele (RFA) - Definitely brought back, likely at 4-6 years / 6-8m per year

Exactly. I would let 20 walk and take the comp pick, and also sadly say goodbye to 21 as well. Draft 2-3 backs in mid to late rounds and also another 1-2 UDFAs in the mix, may the best cheap young backs make the team. RB is a draft and replace and committee job position. The main thing is having a premium OL in order to block for whoever. The ballcarrier himself is vastly less important.
I love how people assume guys will take well below market value. Wilson is probably making the Pro Bowl this year, and should have in 2020. He isnt signing anywhere for 5 million a year

kskboys

Reaction score
Dalton Schultz - Walk; replace with Ferguson/Hendershot/McKeon
Anthony Brown - Walk; replace with 1st or 2nd round CB
LVE - Walk; replace with Clark/Cox
Dante Fowler - Bring back on team friendly 2 year contract / 3-4m per
Donovan Wilson - Definitely brought back on team friendly 3-4 year contract / 5m per
Tony Pollard - Walk; draft replacements in mid to late rounds and UDFAs
Anthony Barr - Walks or retires. He's this year's Keanu Neal.
CJ Goodwin - Brought back at vet minimum for special teams purpose
Jason Peters - Retires or is brought back at vet minimum
Jonathan Hankins - Brought back for 1-2 years / 2-3m per and we attempt to draft his replacement
Noah Brown - Walk. Sick and tired of him. But I don't see him making a roster elsewhere, so we might as well bring him back for the vet minimum.
James Washington - Brought back for team friendly 1 year deal / near vet minimum
Carlos Watkins - Walks or is brought back for 1-2 year at or near vet minimum for depth
Cooper Rush - Definitely is kept and shouldn't be too expensive. 2-3m/year is going rate for the average QB2. He won't get a starting job elsewhere.
Brett Maher - Bring back on 4-5 year deal, hopefully below average league average for kicker position
Connor McGovern - Walk; similar to Williams last year, gets paid elsewhere and Smith is the LG of the future. Draft replacement depth mid-rounds.
Terrence Steele (RFA) - Definitely brought back, likely at 4-6 years / 6-8m per year

Exactly. I would let 20 walk and take the comp pick, and also sadly say goodbye to 21 as well. Draft 2-3 backs in mid to late rounds and also another 1-2 UDFAs in the mix, may the best cheap young backs make the team. RB is a draft and replace and committee job position. The main thing is having a premium OL in order to block for whoever. The ballcarrier himself is vastly less important.
You want ANOTHER 1/2 round CB? Tell me you're kidding.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Dalton Schultz

Anthony Brown

LVE

Dante Fowler

Donovan Wilson

Tony Pollard

Anthony Barr

CJ Goodwin

Jason Peters

Jonathan Hankins

Noah Brown

James Washington

Carlos Watkins

b

Cooper Rush

Brett Maher

Connor McGovern

Terrence Steele (RFA)

I think if you manage to keep McGovern, LVE, Fowler, Wilson, Noah Brown, and Schultz then we will be entering next season better off just based off progression of young players. Then add the draft class and frugal trades and we have a team that should outperform our current 11-4 roster.

Last edited: