CFZ Cowboys identity consistently inconsistent

Blackrain

Reaction score
Every time we think we improve upon something it implodes.
Every time we think we can hang our hat on something it disappoints us.
I've come to the conclusion that all we can count on from this team consistently is being inconsistent.

I should certainly be happier about this team that I am the fact that we've won 10 games gotten by the injuries have a chance to make the playoffs possibly play Tampa Bay who is a inferior team and maybe even get a playoff win.
But for some reason I am disgusted with the inconsistency of this team maybe because I see the potential that's being wasted.
Maybe because I see our front office sit on their hands and watch our division rivals make the moves that we should make and no in the end that what we haven't done and what they have done is going to be our undoing.
In my mind at this point and I truly hope I'm wrong but this season is about over doesn't really matter what we do with these last few games we will probably end up playing Tampa Bay a game which we may win and then we will be watching the rest of the tournament.
Not because we don't have the talent but we because we can't get it to play consistently well from week to week.
We have everything in spurts coaching in spurts.
Great defense in spurts.
Prolific offense in spurts.
The only things that have been fairly consistent are our running game and our kicking game but they are not enough to get us to the Super bowl.

So I'm just going to ride this out to the end enjoy the enjoyable tolerate the frustrating and see where it takes us but I have a feeling our cealing is winning a game against Tampa Bay and then watching the tournament from home.
Thoughts???

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've come to the conclusion that all we can count on from this team consistently is being inconsistent.

I should certainly be happier about this team that I am the fact that we've won 10 games gotten by the injuries have a chance to make the playoffs possibly play Tampa Bay who is a inferior team and maybe even get a playoff win.
But for some reason I am disgusted with the inconsistency of this team maybe because I see the potential that's being wasted.
Maybe because I see our front office sit on their hands and watch our division rivals make the moves that we should make and no in the end that what we haven't done and what they have done is going to be our undoing.
In my mind at this point and I truly hope I'm wrong but this season is about over doesn't really matter what we do with these last few games we will probably end up playing Tampa Bay a game which we may win and then we will be watching the rest of the tournament.
Not because we don't have the talent but we because we can't get it to play consistently well from week to week.
Great defense in spurts.
The only things that have been fairly consistent are our running game and our kicking game but they are not enough to get us to the Super bowl.

So I'm just going to ride this out to the end enjoy the enjoyable tolerate the frustrating and see where it takes us but I have a feeling our cealing is winning a game against Tampa Bay and then watching the tournament from home.
Thoughts???

I think the most frustrating thing is that the last two years we have had a unit (offense last year, defense this year) that statistically was a top unit for 75% of the season but completely imploded and became a liability in the end. I've never seen a team have top ranked units just completely run out of gas like our offense last year and defense this year have.

I've still got faith that things can go our way in the playoffs, but it's going to be very tough sledding against the likes of SF and Phily.

If they can play Philly to a tough, 1-score game, even if they lose, and then beat the Titans and Commanders, I think that will go a long way toward righting the ship. Beat Tampa and you could have a nice win streak going that you could ride to a few more victories. We will see what happens, but nothing we can really do now. I am also hoping TY and Mullen can step in and get up to speed these last few games.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post. The OL has probably been the most consistent and reliable unit this year. Our WRs have been very inconsistent and Dak has seemed to struggle getting any consistent chemistry with any one receiver. Even his former security blanket Schultz, whose receiving numbers are way down.

Defensively, the pass rush was dominant until recently. Parsons who was dominant early, now looks worn out. The only absolutely consistent attribute of the defense is its inability to stop the run. The jags averaged 7 yards a carry against us Sun!

Consistency is the habit of a good football team. We have been inconsistent for weeks now.

Carson

Reaction score
Good post. The OL has probably been the most consistent and reliable unit this year. Our WRs have been very inconsistent and Dak has seemed to struggle getting any consistent chemistry with any one receiver. Even his former security blanket Schultz, whose receiving numbers are way down.

Defensively, the pass rush was dominant until recently. Parsons who was dominant early, now looks worn out. The only absolutely consistent attribute of the defense is its inability to stop the run. The jags averaged 7 yards a carry against us Sun!

Consistency is the habit of a good football team. We have been inconsistent for weeks now.
The main issue is three things.

1) They are soft. When they get punched in the mouth, they back down. When things start going bad, they continue to go bad. Green Bay game, Jacksonville game.

2) Coaching stinks on all phases. McCarthy’s terrible clock management, Quinn not adjusting on defense. Kellen Moore unable to call a consistent game plan on offense. We’ve won the toss and received 3 times this year and have yet to score on any of them. You defer the toss, you get the ball up two scores last week and possibly ice the game.

3) Our scheme is dated and our quarterback lacks the ability to read the field. Our scheme always involves “beating the man in front of you” they do not scheme to get players open. Picks, crosses etc. The long developing routes on 3rd downs etc. If the play breaks down Dak is typically done.

You can almost bed your paycheck they will lose round 1-2 of the playoffs off missed calculated clock management or terrible play calling by Moore.

Aven8

Reaction score
Well that’s definitely us. Which brings me back to Mike (who people on here know I like a lot) scaling down on these practices a couple of weeks ago. Any correlation?

To me this defense looks tired as well…it feels a lot like last years slump on offense except on D. Teams have figured out just keep running the ball and get themselves into 3rd and shorts and our strengths are neutralized. As I stated over a month ago I thought DQ should have went to a true 43 D, but for whatever reason he doesn’t trust our LB’s.

It’s a mess but it can be righted. We’ve seen teams turn it on before. Last year Cincy rose above everything and had won 3 games no one thought they could win.

Carson

Reaction score
Well that’s definitely us. Which brings me back to Mike (who people on here know I like a lot) scaling down on these practices a couple of weeks ago. Any correlation?

To me this defense looks tired as well…it feels a lot like last years slump on offense except on D. Teams have figured out just keep running the ball and get themselves into 3rd and shorts and our strengths are neutralized. As I stated over a month ago I thought DQ should have went to a true 43 D, but for whatever reason he doesn’t trust our LB’s.

It’s a mess but it can be righted. We’ve seen teams turn it on before. Last year Cincy rose above everything and had won 3 games no one thought they could win.
The whole 2 linebacker thing just gets me. I know they like Kearse and Wilson in the box, but it’s absurd to think Jabril Cox cannot help this team

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great defense in spurts.

Thoughts???

Consistently inconsistent is the perfect two word summary to describe this team.

:thumbup:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Stephen A. Smith has always been right about the identity of the team in the Jocks to Socks era - "An accident waiting to happen."

Aven8

Reaction score
The whole 2 linebacker thing just gets me. I know they like Kearse and Wilson in the box, but it’s absurd to think Jabril Cox cannot help this team

It’s like he’s in the doghouse or something? We saw briefly last year he could play. It’s almost reminiscent of when JG and company wouldn’t play Donovan Wilson.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

Great defense in spurts.

Thoughts???

Think you got it about right. ...as for Tampa Bay being an inferior team, they still have the human veg-o-matic Tom Brady, who can slice and dice the Dallas D and seems to play well enough to beat the Cowboys all the time. I wouldn't give the Cowboys an automatic victory in this one. One thing for sure, the winner of that game will be blown out the following week.

Acceptablename

Reaction score

Great defense in spurts.

Thoughts???
People use the label identity so various that sometimes I am sort of confused.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
The lack of an offensive identity can be traced back to Garrett and the current OC. What works well one week, never carries over to the next. Remember two weeks ago against the Colts when CeeDee was put in motion a lot and went off? Last week vs Texans, not in motion, has a pedestrian game. Remember two weeks ago when we had the three TE sets and it worked well? Well Fergy is injured but you still have Schultz, Hendershot, and McKeon, why aren't we getting Schultz and Hendershot on the field more last week. Kellen abandons personnel packages/schemes from one week to the next. I understand it depends on who we're playing but see if it works. We have a really good running back Duos but Kellen isn't a run guy. I think he runs just to hit a certain number of runs for balance. He doesn't use the run game in the right situation. Case in point, 11 straight runs to start the half and got stuffed on 4th and goal the other week. That third and fourth down was screaming playaction with the defense loaded up.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Think you got it about right. ...as for Tampa Bay being an inferior team, they still have the human veg-o-matic Tom Brady, who can slice and dice the Dallas D and seems to play well enough to beat the Cowboys all the time. I wouldn't give the Cowboys an automatic victory in this one. One thing for sure, the winner of that game will be blown out the following week.

Totally agreed brother Not a guaranteed win by any stretch of the imagination but probably the best chance of us getting a playoff win

Carson

Reaction score
Stephen A. Smith has always been right about the identity of the team in the Jocks to Socks era - "An accident waiting to happen."
I mean his whole skit is true for 31 teams a year.

I see the panic if they lost to Houston. But the jags are a hot team who are well coached by a guy who knows us and has a franchise QB

Blackrain

Reaction score

Agreed bullet The offensive line has been a very pleasant surprise and a byproduct of that has been a decent running game.

When we decide not to abandon it

So frustrating when we show flashes of what we can do like in the Vikings game when we're hitting on all cylinders and all three phases of the game are contributing.

Then we go play poor teams that we should dominate and we absolutely go in the tank it just gives you a very defeated attitude like there is nothing you can trust or hang your hat on.

Well with Hurts not playing I believe it gives us as good a chance as any to compete with the Eagles so we'll see what team shows up there at least the game is at home because if it was up here in Philly the temperature would be in the 20s and from all I've seen over the last umteen years we are not a cold weather team.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Great defense in spurts.

Thoughts???
That be us....

Blackrain

Reaction score

Agreed it's like why did we even use a draft pick on this guy if we're not going to use him I don't know how he couldn't possibly help this team

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Great defense in spurts.

Thoughts???
They’ve always had the reputation of, can’t win the big one