CFZ Cowboys identity consistently inconsistent

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Every time we think we improve upon something it implodes.
Every time we think we can hang our hat on something it disappoints us.
I've come to the conclusion that all we can count on from this team consistently is being inconsistent.

I should certainly be happier about this team that I am the fact that we've won 10 games gotten by the injuries have a chance to make the playoffs possibly play Tampa Bay who is a inferior team and maybe even get a playoff win.
But for some reason I am disgusted with the inconsistency of this team maybe because I see the potential that's being wasted.
Maybe because I see our front office sit on their hands and watch our division rivals make the moves that we should make and no in the end that what we haven't done and what they have done is going to be our undoing.
In my mind at this point and I truly hope I'm wrong but this season is about over doesn't really matter what we do with these last few games we will probably end up playing Tampa Bay a game which we may win and then we will be watching the rest of the tournament.
Not because we don't have the talent but we because we can't get it to play consistently well from week to week.
We have everything in spurts coaching in spurts.
Great defense in spurts.
Prolific offense in spurts.
The only things that have been fairly consistent are our running game and our kicking game but they are not enough to get us to the Super bowl.

So I'm just going to ride this out to the end enjoy the enjoyable tolerate the frustrating and see where it takes us but I have a feeling our cealing is winning a game against Tampa Bay and then watching the tournament from home.
Thoughts???

Its just what happens in the NFL. 10-4 is consistently winning. How can you not understand what the NFL is like? How many years have you been watching the NFL?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think the most frustrating thing is that the last two years we have had a unit (offense last year, defense this year) that statistically was a top unit for 75% of the season but completely imploded and became a liability in the end. I've never seen a team have top ranked units just completely run out of gas like our offense last year and defense this year have.

I've still got faith that things can go our way in the playoffs, but it's going to be very tough sledding against the likes of SF and Phily.

If they can play Philly to a tough, 1-score game, even if they lose, and then beat the Titans and Commanders, I think that will go a long way toward righting the ship. Beat Tampa and you could have a nice win streak going that you could ride to a few more victories. We will see what happens, but nothing we can really do now. I am also hoping TY and Mullen can step in and get up to speed these last few games.

After watching both last year and this year you still havent figured out what it is that usually causes these later season inconsistencies? Are you saying you have no clue?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yep till we got Roger Staubach.
Unfortunately I don't think he's going to be able to help us fix this mess.[/QUOTE. I don’t think we’re in a mess, I think we’re playing very good football. We just don’t have the talent across the board. People are complaining, but we’re actually overachieving in my opinion.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The main issue is three things.

1) They are soft. When they get punched in the mouth, they back down. When things start going bad, they continue to go bad. Green Bay game, Jacksonville game.

2) Coaching stinks on all phases. McCarthy’s terrible clock management, Quinn not adjusting on defense. Kellen Moore unable to call a consistent game plan on offense. We’ve won the toss and received 3 times this year and have yet to score on any of them. You defer the toss, you get the ball up two scores last week and possibly ice the game.

3) Our scheme is dated and our quarterback lacks the ability to read the field. Our scheme always involves “beating the man in front of you” they do not scheme to get players open. Picks, crosses etc. The long developing routes on 3rd downs etc. If the play breaks down Dak is typically done.

You can almost bed your paycheck they will lose round 1-2 of the playoffs off missed calculated clock management or terrible play calling by Moore.

The main issue is one big thing:

-Most Cowboys fans dont understand football or pay attention to detail so they wind up blaming the team or the one player or coach they dont like.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Agreed bullet The offensive line has been a very pleasant surprise and a byproduct of that has been a decent running game.

When we decide not to abandon it

So frustrating when we show flashes of what we can do like in the Vikings game when we're hitting on all cylinders and all three phases of the game are contributing.

Then we go play poor teams that we should dominate and we absolutely go in the tank it just gives you a very defeated attitude like there is nothing you can trust or hang your hat on.

Well with Hurts not playing I believe it gives us as good a chance as any to compete with the Eagles so we'll see what team shows up there at least the game is at home because if it was up here in Philly the temperature would be in the 20s and from all I've seen over the last umteen years we are not a cold weather team.

Do you think there is ANY correlation between the Oline being a pleasant surprise/good run game AND deciding NOT to abandon the run? Anything? No?

I guess you cant make that connection.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys continue to be a good but not consistently great team cause that is how they are built.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You aren't anywhere near as smart as you think you are so stop with the chest puffing.

Actually I am. I've nailed every major argument on here going back 10 years.

Garrett, Zeke, Dak, Pollard, Lamb, Parsons, ect.....ect......

Time to get on the winning side. :thumbup:

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Every time we think we improve upon something it implodes.
Every time we think we can hang our hat on something it disappoints us.
I've come to the conclusion that all we can count on from this team consistently is being inconsistent.

I should certainly be happier about this team that I am the fact that we've won 10 games gotten by the injuries have a chance to make the playoffs possibly play Tampa Bay who is a inferior team and maybe even get a playoff win.
But for some reason I am disgusted with the inconsistency of this team maybe because I see the potential that's being wasted.
Maybe because I see our front office sit on their hands and watch our division rivals make the moves that we should make and no in the end that what we haven't done and what they have done is going to be our undoing.
In my mind at this point and I truly hope I'm wrong but this season is about over doesn't really matter what we do with these last few games we will probably end up playing Tampa Bay a game which we may win and then we will be watching the rest of the tournament.
Not because we don't have the talent but we because we can't get it to play consistently well from week to week.
We have everything in spurts coaching in spurts.
Great defense in spurts.
Prolific offense in spurts.
The only things that have been fairly consistent are our running game and our kicking game but they are not enough to get us to the Super bowl.

So I'm just going to ride this out to the end enjoy the enjoyable tolerate the frustrating and see where it takes us but I have a feeling our cealing is winning a game against Tampa Bay and then watching the tournament from home.
Thoughts???
this is a really good post and is what has been wrong in dallas for a long long time and the fact that they are also SOFT when it comes crunch time they simply dont or cant make the plays necescary to win on a consistent basis

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The whole 2 linebacker thing just gets me. I know they like Kearse and Wilson in the box, but it’s absurd to think Jabril Cox cannot help this team
It's absurd that Cox hasn't figured out how to help this defense by now.

Carson

Reaction score
The main issue is one big thing:

-Most Cowboys fans dont understand football or pay attention to detail so they wind up blaming the team or the one player or coach they dont like.
It’s pretty much the general consensus no?

Moore is ok, but slows our offense down with brain fart play calls? 3rd and 10 and you pass when the game is over? The 2nd and 10 jet sweeps that turn into 3rd and 13?

Big Mike mismanagement of the game clock?

Quinn hasn’t adjusted and we’ve been ran over since the Chicago game? Made guys like Driskel and Mills look good.

Winning the coin toss and electing to receive? 0/3 with 3 punts for this.

You think they scheme our players open? How often do our guys make contested catches or make amazing plays? Watch other teams, players get open from scheme.

Outside of Maher and Pollard, all players can improve and make this team better come playoff time.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The book on the Cowboys is they’ll have a promising first half of the season causing them to peak early then they’ll begin the leak oil by December. They go from contenders to pretenders by December. I was listening to Jerry on the radio today and he was saying they want to use the next three games to try and start playing better. He was saying pretty much the same thing last year at this time. You could hear the concern in his voice. It’s alarming how far the defense has fallen off the past two weeks.

ICP

Reaction score
Cowboys are like a spy with multiple identities and passports but the only one that's well known is Failure

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s pretty much the general consensus no?

Moore is ok, but slows our offense down with brain fart play calls? 3rd and 10 and you pass when the game is over? The 2nd and 10 jet sweeps that turn into 3rd and 13?

Big Mike mismanagement of the game clock?

Quinn hasn’t adjusted and we’ve been ran over since the Chicago game? Made guys like Driskel and Mills look good.

Winning the coin toss and electing to receive? 0/3 with 3 punts for this.

You think they scheme our players open? How often do our guys make contested catches or make amazing plays? Watch other teams, players get open from scheme.

Outside of Maher and Pollard, all players can improve and make this team better come playoff time.

The criticism of Moore is way overblown. He has his faults, mostly playing Zeke to much for too long.

As for watching other teams I am convinced most don't. Moore's schemes have produced the #1 scoring offense in the NFL with Dak at the helm for 3 years running so he is clearly doing a much better job than his detractors claim.

Again, people blame and over analyze the players and coaches they dont like for everything. Those that have the ability to remain unbiased usually have the best takes.

stiletto

Reaction score

You are right a lot but I maintain that not replacing Cooper properly has hurt Dak a lot. Lamb is good but no one after him scares the defense to open up the field. The FO screwed up by thinking a ACL returning Gallup and Noah Brown would scare anyone. It's showing and Dak is pressing because of it. Hopefully TY Hilton helps but there is a reason they signed him and tried to sign OBJ.. they know they screwed up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You are right a lot but I maintain that not replacing Cooper properly has hurt Dak a lot. Lamb is good but no one after him scares the defense to open up the field. The FO screwed up by thinking a ACL returning Gallup and Noah Brown would scare anyone. It's showing and Dak is pressing because of it. Hopefully TY Hilton helps but there is a reason they signed him and tried to sign OBJ.. they know they screwed up.

You can maintain whatever you want, getting rid of Cooper has proven to be the right move by far.

Cowboys are 10-4 with Rush playing 6 games the we now have the #1 scoring offense in the NFL under Dak.

Cooper is doing what he always does over in Cleveland. Getting overpaid for his 1000 yard 8 TD season while getting dinged up.

Lamb is sitting there as the #7 receiver in the NFL right now and that was with Rush for 6 games.

Not sure getting TY proves anything other than Washington hasnt worked out and neither did Tolbert.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Lol

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everything wrong with this team (other than QB) is being mentally prepped to play football. Even ST are doing a half arsed job of blocking. This week we due for a penalty fest
Watch for it
MIKE

Cmac

Reaction score
The offense questions about consistency rely solely at the feet of Air Coryell Jr. Has anybody seen him? As good as the running game has been better, Air Coryell Jr. still does things to ruin that.