Cowboys, innovation

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Landry was the only innovator, none of the others have been, building a team based on team speed was hardly anything new, he recruited at Miami like that and at OSU before that to try and get over OU.

There really have been only a handful of innovators in the history of the NFL and Landry was one of them. None of the other Cowboys coaches have approached that level and in the past 40 years, only two have approached Landry's level, Walsh with his WCO and Belichick with his morphing defense on a weekly basis. Most HC's would be content for his players to get just one defense down but not Belichick.
So true. Landry’s flex defense was an absolute masterpiece of football genius. And it went against the grain of the instincts most defensive players have to just chase the ball. It was like an 11 man zone defense that did not overreact to anything. Doomsday I and II were the most completely dominant defenses to ever wear the Star.

On offense, Landry’s use of shifts and re-introduction of the shotgun formation were also completely innovative. Defenses had a hard time adjusting to the ever changing shifts when the OL did that famous up and down move that masked what the skill players were doing.

And Landry’s recognition that Roger Staubach would be twice as deadly out of the shotgun was pure genius. He didn’t invent the “shotgun”- it started in the late 40s and was used in the 50s, until it became thrown out in favor of the power running game that Lombardi used. But Landry reintroduced it to pro football in the 70s and it has been used ever since.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
There really hasn't been a lot of significant innovation in the NFL for a couple decades. Now it's execution, being able to stay healthy and getting hot at the end of the season.

Except for the run pass option, and spread college offenses... allows big time QBs to come in and start from day one or at least by the second year. No sitting on the bench for three or so years as before. The newer offensive rules have also been in that favor. More reliance on offense nowadays. Weaker backups and bench are season killers now. No team can hog all the good players.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Happens all over the NFL It is not something exclusive to the Cowboys only

Doesn't justify a bad decision. Most of the teams that made the same mistake quickly regretted it and moved on as soon as they could.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Doesn't justify a bad decision. Most of the teams that made the same mistake quickly regretted it and moved on as soon as they could.
Was not a bad decision to sign the best all round running back in the NFL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Was not a bad decision to sign the best all round running back in the NFL

One of the worst signings in Cowboys history. On many levels:

1. Position. You simply dont invest big money in ONE RB.
2. Zeke had two years left on his contract when Jerry extended it. Had he NOT, Zeke would be gone already and we would have another 15 million in salary cap space
3. Zeke was NOT the best back by any stretch of the imagination. THAT was proven over the last few years as the line has dwindled, so has Zeke and his production.
4. RB's get old quick combined with Zeke's maturity level and lack of leadership qualities

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
One of the worst signings in Cowboys history. On many levels:

1. Position. You simply dont invest big money in ONE RB.
2. Zeke had two years left on his contract when Jerry extended it. Had he NOT, Zeke would be gone already and we would have another 15 million in salary cap space
3. Zeke was NOT the best back by any stretch of the imagination. THAT was proven over the last few years as the line has dwindled, so has Zeke and his production.
4. RB's get old quick combined with Zeke's maturity level and lack of leadership qualities
Lots of other teams invest big money in RB's and it was a great signing

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lots of other teams invest big money in RB's and it was a great signing

A few teams have invested big money and immediately regretted it. The signing was one of the worst in Cowboys history. The results bare that out even if you struggle to admit it.

I am not sure you would find many cowboys fans if any at all that would agree that Zeke was "a great signing".

Here is a nice article showcasing my thoughts and the recent missteps of other teams.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-nfl-teams-should-never-overpay-running-backs

Gurley, Freeman, David Johnson, Leveon Bell are all recent examples of big contracts made to RB's where the team quickly regretted it and found ways to dump the player.

Zeke will be the next one the instant the Cowboys can get out without taking a big dead money hit.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
A few teams have invested big money and immediately regretted it. The signing was one of the worst in Cowboys history. The results bare that out even if you struggle to admit it.

I am not sure you would find many cowboys fans if any at all that would agree that Zeke was "a great signing".

Here is a nice article showcasing my thoughts and the recent missteps of other teams.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-nfl-teams-should-never-overpay-running-backs

Gurley, Freeman, David Johnson, Leveon Bell are all recent examples of big contracts made to RB's where the team quickly regretted it and found ways to dump the player.
Was 1 of the best signings in Cowboys history

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Was 1 of the best signings in Cowboys history

NO, it was the best actually. :oldcouple::dance:

Signing Zeke two years early and making him the highest paid back really highlights the outstanding abilities of Jerry as a GM. :lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@Whirlwin My innovative idea is to have the most athletic defense I can. The most athletic ones are the LBs, safeties, and CBs. I would have 6 LBs and 5 DBs. Starting out, this would be my 3rd down defense and in a few years transition to the base defense.

LBs give up a weight difference but can move a lot quicker, cover more territory closer to the LOS, and can shoot gaps better.

I think the game would be a lot better if the DL and OL were more athletic. OL and DL at around 250 pounds could prove to be a superior line. It would also be much healthier for the players since the human body was not designed to carry 300+ pounds.

I would interchange safeties and CBs much more.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Switzerland was not a dummy. He knew not to come in and make changes. Switzerland knew that he could show up every morning and the talent would win a Super Bowl. It worked.

True his genius was knowing not to try and be a genius.....

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
The great year? With Zeke finally being in shape and the offense being tops in the NFL I anticipate a good year from Zeke. He would have to completely suck to do poorly in this offense.

I mean it being his last year. I think there’s no way they cut Elliott unless he does something crazy off the field, or underperforms by miles.

As much as his play has dropped off, he’s still someone DCs need to think about.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
@Whirlwin My innovative idea is to have the most athletic defense I can. The most athletic ones are the LBs, safeties, and CBs. I would have 6 LBs and 5 DBs. Starting out, this would be my 3rd down defense and in a few years transition to the base defense.

LBs give up a weight difference but can move a lot quicker, cover more territory closer to the LOS, and can shoot gaps better.

I think the game would be a lot better if the DL and OL were more athletic. OL and DL at around 250 pounds could prove to be a superior line. It would also be much healthier for the players since the human body was not designed to carry 300+ pounds.

I would interchange safeties and CBs much more.
I think I would have one middle linebacker. A true defense of tackle. And everything else will be safeties and corners. I just don’t know if it would be enough to stop the run. Imagine the speed. The offense of line couldn’t get their hands on the safeties to block them.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I think I would have one middle linebacker. A true defense of tackle. And everything else will be safeties and corners. I just don’t know if it would be enough to stop the run. Imagine the speed. The offense of line couldn’t get their hands on the safeties to block them.

I think it would be much more interesting and a lot more strategy for the coaches. Opens up the game to a lot of people who are too small to go against 300-pound players right now like 150-pound RBs and WRs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I mean it being his last year. I think there’s no way they cut Elliott unless he does something crazy off the field, or underperforms by miles.

As much as his play has dropped off, he’s still someone DCs need to think about.

Ill take that bet. Easy money. Just like Dez, Zeke isnt worth the money and we have other places to spend that cash. The moment we can move on we will.