Cowboys LG Chuma Edoga

Jumbo075

Reaction score
What I found interesting in watching the video of the brief 1st round war room discussion is that Will McClay stated that drafting an OG would be drafting for depth, while drafting a DT would be drafting an immediate starter. This goes to show that the Cowboys believed they already had their 2023 starting Left Guard on the roster BEFORE the draft.

And the Cowboys have a lot of options at Left Guard:
  • 1st round pick Tyler Smith
  • 3rd round pick Chuma Edoga
  • 4th round pick Josh Ball
  • 5th round pick (rookie) Asim Richards
  • 7th round pick Matt Farniok
  • Undrafted veteran Terence Steele
  • UDFA (rookie) T.J. Bass
I'm guessing that they'll figure our a solution.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watch his tape against DLaw....thats why they wanted him.
I did. I didn’t think that was ‘good tape’ at all. And neither did the Jets who flat out cut him when nobody - including the Cowboys - would trade for him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What I found interesting in watching the video of the brief 1st round war room discussion is that Will McClay stated that drafting an OG would be drafting for depth, while drafting a DT would be drafting an immediate starter. This goes to show that the Cowboys believed they already had their 2023 starting Left Guard on the roster BEFORE the draft.

Exactly what a few of us have said, Jumbo. The Cowboys already have their starting LG on the roster, so it shouldn't be a surprise why they never picked a Guard with their early round picks. It's the masses who are confused and stuck on wanting a new Left Guard. That's not what the Cowboys think or how they feel.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I watched Edoga's start at LG vs da Bears. It was ok, but I'm not confident in this guy being a regular starter, I'd prefer Farniok.

ESisback

Reaction score

I would go along with that, but some people will continue to freak unless we have an all pro backup.

Spottswoode

Reaction score

Not disagreeing as I don’t know their thinking, I’m just throwing out another possible theory (maybe conspiracy).

I assume they knew the camera was on. I also assume someone on the inside made the decision to release the footage.

Would it be a good look to the existing linemen to say that this potential draftee would be an immediate starter? Personally I would not be too pleased as if I were a younger lineman competing for the position and learned that there are already assumptions on roster positions. We know there likely are assumptions made but you still have to play the “open competition” card.

You could say that would also be true for DT but I’m not sure that news would be a revelation to our existing DT talent.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Not disagreeing as I don’t know their thinking, I’m just throwing out another possible theory (maybe conspiracy).

I assume they knew the camera was on. I also assume someone on the inside made the decision to release the footage.

Would it be a good look to the existing linemen to say that this potential draftee would be an immediate starter? Personally I would not be too pleased as if I were a younger lineman competing for the position and learned that there are already assumptions on roster positions. We know there likely are assumptions made but you still have to play the “open competition” card.

You could say that would also be true for DT but I’m not sure that news would be a revelation to our existing DT talent.
The problem with your theory about staging the debate for TV is that picking at #26, the Cowboys have no way ahead of time to know who would be available. Staging a debate would require a rehearsal. There just isn't enough time to rehearse, then record a fake debate in the 10 minute window the Cowboys (or any other team) has to make their pick.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Here’s a scenario: Edoga turns out to be awesome. Tyler takes a huge step and is playing really well at LT. Waletzgo showing serious promise as swing tackle….

Do you shop the oft injured (but pro bowl caliber) Tyron for future draft capital?
Only other teams find suckers to take guys off their hands for picks - we can barely give them away.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The problem with your theory about staging the debate for TV is that picking at #26, the Cowboys have no way ahead of time to know who would be available. Staging a debate would require a rehearsal. There just isn't enough time to rehearse, then record a fake debate in the 10 minute window the Cowboys (or any other team) has to make their pick.
The long debate was done because Jerry wants as much on-camera exposure as possible.
- There are far more people watching while they're 'on the clock' than at other times.

Spottswoode

Reaction score

I’m not suggesting they faked a debate. I’m suggesting that what we saw was a small clip of a much larger discussion. Is it possible that there might be more to these conversations that we don’t see? Is it possible that these folks are pretty savvy to the optics of what they put in the public domain?

I’m not stating I am right or wrong. I am suggesting that maybe you see what they want you to see.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I’m not suggesting they faked a debate. I’m suggesting that what we saw was a small clip of a much larger discussion. Is it possible that there might be more to these conversations that we don’t see? Is it possible that these folks are pretty savvy to the optics of what they put in the public domain?

I’m not stating I am right or wrong. I am suggesting that maybe you see what they want you to see.
This is obvious. There's no conspiracy or anyting lol.

Anything the team releases is a) PR and, therefore, b) calculated. My guess is that if it wasn't "staged" altogether, it's just a formality. Teams aren't debating players in the war room during the first round when they're on the clock.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
This is obvious. There's no conspiracy or anyting lol.

Anything the team releases is a) PR and, therefore, b) calculated. My guess is that if it wasn't "staged" altogether, it's just a formality. Teams aren't debating players in the war room during the first round when they're on the clock.
The conspiracy comment was tongue in cheek.

My point was simply that IMO, seeing a short clip was not proof that a guard selected at #26 would be a backup or that they have OL positions determined. It very well may be true. But personally, I don't see McClays 5 second comment as proof. Knowing Jerry's obsession with narrative control and optics, I don't have much trust in anything he's involved with when the camera is on.