Cowboys made the right move with Spencer

dfense

Reaction score
Stop.

Spencer was a good player for us. He ruined his knee. That's nothing to celebrate

I'd say keeping him another year at $10mil and NOT going after Hardy or drafting Gregory because of a prayer he'll suddenly return to 2011 form is reason to celebrate. He had 33 career sacks. One year of 11 that he parlayed into a $20mil payday.

I wouldn't say I'm celebrating, but I'm secretly smiling inside...

Reaction score
Cowboys have done a good job managing team needs vs salary with veteran players (especially after the Jay Ratliff -Miles Austin fiasco)

Ware, Spencer, Austin, Bruce Carter, Jason Hatcher, Terrance Newman and others

The only name I wish we kept was Newman. He was pretty productive for the Bengals for a few years when we could have used his services. He couldn't stay healthy at the end of his tenure in Dallas, so I understand why they let him walk. But our CB play would have been a lot better had we kept him around and let him get fully healthy.

dallasdave

Reaction score
It's possible to be pleased that the team made the right decision by moving on and feel bad for the guy's knee problem. I didn't think OP sounded particularly celebratory about Spencer's injury, and he's right, it was the right decision.

Well said indeed !

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Stop.

Spencer was a good player for us. He ruined his knee. That's nothing to celebrate

Chill+bro_90f208_4599573.jpg

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd say keeping him another year at $10mil and NOT going after Hardy or drafting Gregory because of a prayer he'll suddenly return to 2011 form is reason to celebrate. He had 33 career sacks. One year of 11 that he parlayed into a $20mil payday.

I wouldn't say I'm celebrating, but I'm secretly smiling inside...

Where did you get 10M?

His total pay this year was scheduled to be 950K.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Some of your memories are terrible. We tagged him before the 2012 season and he gave us 11 sacks. We tagged him again before 2013 and then he went on IR that season. We brought him back last year at the veteran minimum. Spencer didn't fleece anybody he simply got hurt in 13 not something he planned for. Hate to hear it happened to him

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Saints just put Anthony Spencer on IR after 1 preseason game. Another shrewd move by the "under new management" Cowboys organization.

Guy has got to have the best pay per game played of anybody ever. Last two years with the Cowboys he made 10+ million a year for a total of 22 tackles and a half a sack.

He got over 20 million to play 2-3 games in as many seasons.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Spencer was OK. I dont appreciate him breaking out in his contract year. All I know is I want to bury Payton and Ryan. Annoying coaches.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He got over 20 million to play 2-3 games in as many seasons.

Why do people keep saying that? That DID NOT HAPPEN. He got paid 10 million in 2012 and played all 16 games getting 11 sacks. It's only 2013 that he got tagged and then missed the season

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
(progress stopper)

It's a young man's game....an older player with bad wheels is not a good investment. And now look at what we hear about the player.

burmafrd

Reaction score
he was over rated by many. Sure he was tough against the run but with DeWare on the other side making the O concentrate on him the fact that spencer never even sniffed double digit sacks except for one year says to me he was never worth a first rd pick.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We used to release players who were pretty integral pieces of our team expecting them to be coveted free agents and they typically retired after realizing nobody wanted them. Now we release players who are little to non factors and they get picked up instantly and overpaid by other teams. Oh how the times have changed.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's a young man's game....an older player with bad wheels is not a good investment. And now look at what we hear about the player.

He was being sarcastic.

Spencer was only signed for 950k after no one else valued him.

If we kept him he would be an end of the bench vet looking for playing time at the minimum salary.

The decision was neither shrewd or savvy..........he was a FA......it was mehhhhhhh

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
He was being sarcastic.

Spencer was only signed for 950k after no one else valued him.

If we kept him he would be an end of the bench vet looking for playing time at the minimum salary.

The decision was neither shrewd or savvy..........he was a FA......it was mehhhhhhh

Yeah, I agree...he was a Cowboy, now he's not.