Twitter: Cowboys Make New Offer To Elliott

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
For comparison:

Bell got a 5 year, $52.5MM contract with only $27MM guaranteed.

Gurley got a 5 year, $57.5MM contract with potential guarantees of $45MM ($22MM was guaranteed at signing).

So there is a pretty wide gap here in terms of guaranteed money. Gurley's deal is an outlier.
I have little doubt that Gurley's contract being so far unlike the others has contributed to this not already being done.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you’re already making him the 2nd highest, just pay the difference and make him the highest.

I don’t want to lose an elite talent over a few million.

If he remains in your future plans, you pay the man. If not, why offer up to the 2nd highest?

My only problem is, when somebody else gets their money (Gordon) is he happy being the 2nd highest paid? Or is this a revolving door

Nope.

Because the gap between what Bell got and Gurley got is massive.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Make sure you put some behavior clauses for this kid because he has been nothing but trouble since being here.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
For comparison:

Bell got a 5 year, $52.5MM contract with only $27MM guaranteed.

Gurley got a 5 year, $57.5MM contract with potential guarantees of $45MM ($22MM was guaranteed at signing).

So there is a pretty wide gap here in terms of guaranteed money. Gurley's deal is an outlier.

Gurley’s was 4 years not 5, at 57m$ extension, not 5 years. Puts him nearly 15m$ per year on the extension.

Bell’s was also 4 years, for 52m total. That puts him at 13m a year.

JayFord

Reaction score
I mean they clearly want him back. But I think it's ridiculous to pay a TB that much money.

I don’t.but I understand where you’re coming from...I’ve played tailback and it’s my favorite position ...those guys take a beating I think they should get paid that much

I think OLineman are underpaid though.....”hey keep my qb who makes more than you ever will alive will ya”

Sydla

Reaction score
Who knows if the report is true, but let's assume it is.

I have no doubt Elliott wants to exceed what Gurley got, but at some point teams have to push back on what are outlier contracts. If you look at TB contracts, there is a clear outlier here - Gurley. His practical guaranteed monies are outrageous relative to other TBs, especially Bell's.

There is no freaking way the Cowboys should exceed what Gurley got.

Sydla

Reaction score
Gurley’s was 4 years, 57m$ extension, not 5 years. Puts him nearly 15m$ per year on the extension.

Bell’s was also 4 years, for 52m total. That puts him at 13m a year.

Whoops. Was looking at the wrong row on the spotrac chart after I sorted it.

But 4 or 5 years doesn't change the guaranteed money, that's the number that really matters, not the AAV.

erod

Reaction score
Zeke will be signed by Saturday. That's my gut.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The money is between Bell and Gurley as an average. So the guaranteed money if around $35 million would be about in the middle too.
But would that be enough. It should be. But will pride get in the way. Maybe they can give him just over what Gurley gets on the average per year, but stay under the guaranteed money at $35 to $40 million.

But right now if at $35 it all is between those deals. He should take it.