News: Cowboys missed Orlando Scandrick in more ways than one

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys missed Orlando Scandrick in more ways than one
Why the Cowboys won't -- and can't -- trade for Joey Bosa

OXNARD, Calif. -- As Orlando Scandrick walked on to the field for the Dallas Cowboys’ first walk-through of training camp, he took a moment to bless himself and point to the sky.

Almost 11 months to the day since tearing the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his right knee, Scandrick was glad to be back where he never wanted to leave.

“Time kind of went by fast,” Scandrick said.

The Cowboys missed what Scandrick brings to the defense. He is among the best slot corners in the NFL. He is a tough defender on the outside as well. Of the players eligible for the season opener, he has more career sacks than any defender with 9.5.

But the Cowboys missed how he plays as much as what he does.

“He's an edgy guy, and I say that as a compliment,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Everything he does, there's a little bit of 'I got a little chip on my shoulder' with that. He's always had it. He had it when we drafted him in the fifth round. He thought he should have been drafted higher. He came in here and is one of those guys that constantly over delivers throughout the early part of his career and really found a home for us as an inside guy, plays outside, can show up on teams. And you said it: It's not always his performance on the field. It's how he goes about it in practice and the meeting room and just how he functions in our locker room, really a good leader, a positive influence in so many ways on our younger players.”...