Cowboys Mock Draft

MiStar

Reaction score
1. Ko Simpson/Micheal Huff/Jimmy Williams FS

All three will be big time safties at the next level, At least one or two will be gone by the time Dallas picks, but I have no problem picking the leftover. Too many games were lost on blown coverages last year, and outside of Roy Williams, the safties weren't forcing enough turnovers.

I thought about taking a linebacker or a Offensive tackle here, but I didn't think any of the tackles after Ferguson would be garunteed stars, and I thought that there would be better value later on at linebacker than at free safety.

2. Mike Kudla OLB

Mike Kudla is just as a good a prospect as Tamba Hali, Manny Lawson, or Bobby Carpenter as a 3-4 OLB. If Kudla is gone, I would probably want Charles Spencer OG/C, Stanley McGlover OLB, or Kai Parham OLB/ILB. McNeil and Scott would definitely be tempting tackle prospects in the second round. I would be happy with any one of those. Kudla, however, is the one with potential to be a star. All of these guys will be solid starters at the next level.

3. Andrew Whitworth OT

I personally believe that Whitworth will in all liklihood be just as good as all of the tackles drafted ahead of him, save Ferguson. Other guys may be bigger or faster, which doesn't really matter to me. I'll take the polished and consistant player, Whitworth. If Whitworth is off the board, I might look at a guard like Setterstrom, a versitile DB like Whitner or Zemitis, or a WR like Hass.

5. Matt Bernstein FB

Lusaka Polite simply isn't getting the job done at FB, Jason Witten isn't a good enough blocker out of the backfield, and Marcus Spears is a DE pretending to be a goaline fullback. If you can't get a yard when you need it in the NFL, you probably aren't going anywhere. Bernstein is simply a devastating run blocker, which is something that this team has sorely missed for years. There will be some good value at WR and TE late in the draft and if a LB like Anthony Schlegal is still there, it would be hard to pass him up.

6. Todd Watkins WR

This pick is about filling needs more than anything else. Looking at WRs, TEs, LBs, and Lineman, WR is the position where we need a fresh body the most, and there aren't any lineman here that I'm sold on.

7. Mark Anderson OLB

Anderson has some upside, which is all you can ask for at this point. I wouldn't mind looking a centers here either like a Mike Degory.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Kudla, I just have a problem with where you're drafting him. IMO, Mark Anderson would go before Kudla and you have him going in the 7th.

No way a guy that abused Ferguson in the senior bowl goes in the 7th (Mark Anderson) And Watkins will be long gone by the 6th round. I would go Tapp Mark Anderson/ or even Parham before Kudla. I would draft him in the late 3rd or 4th.

Reaction score
Sorry, but, no way do I want to draft a FS with the 18th spot. We sign a young, but experienced FS in Chris Hope of Pittsburg, so we can concentrate on the two big positions: OL & LB. Also, I love Mike Kudla as much as the next guy, but not in the 2nd rd. I think he will be one of the steals of the draft, with his strength, motor, and intangibles.

1. Darryl Tapp,OLB,Virginia Tech- After watching him use a variety of moves to make the best OTs in the draft look like High Schoolers at the Senior Bowl practices & game, I gotta take this guy. He is the perfect complement to DWare.

2. Nick Mangold, OC, Ohio St.- One of the strongest players coming out this year, Mangold also came up big all week at the Senior Bowl. OSU coaches compare him favorably with former Buckeye Center LeCharles Bentley, except Mangold might have a tougher mentality. He's used to big games, & would anchor the Cowboy line the next decade.

3. Montavious Stanley, NT, Louisville-Hugh enough at 6',2", 315, to play NT, which was not our strong point last year. Ferguson had a mediocre year, IMO, and strength on either side of the ball starts in the middle. Stanley could at least join the rotation this year, and maybe start in two or three.

5. Marques Colston, WR, Hofstra-Big, rangy WR at 6'3", 230, 4.55. Had an injury that set him back last year, but had a 70 rec., 975 yd. season this year. With his size & attitude, would be worth a 5th to bring in & see what he can do.

That's all I have for now.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cogan said:
Sorry, but, no way do I want to draft a FS with the 18th spot. We sign a young, but experienced FS in Chris Hope of Pittsburg, so we can concentrate on the two big positions: OL & LB. Also, I love Mike Kudla as much as the next guy, but not in the 2nd rd. I think he will be one of the steals of the draft, with his strength, motor, and intangibles.

1. Darryl Tapp,OLB,Virginia Tech- After watching him use a variety of moves to make the best OTs in the draft look like High Schoolers at the Senior Bowl practices & game, I gotta take this guy. He is the perfect complement to DWare.

2. Nick Mangold, OC, Ohio St.- One of the strongest players coming out this year, Mangold also came up big all week at the Senior Bowl. OSU coaches compare him favorably with former Buckeye Center LeCharles Bentley, except Mangold might have a tougher mentality. He's used to big games, & would anchor the Cowboy line the next decade.

3. Montavious Stanley, NT, Louisville-Hugh enough at 6',2", 315, to play NT, which was not our strong point last year. Ferguson had a mediocre year, IMO, and strength on either side of the ball starts in the middle. Stanley could at least join the rotation this year, and maybe start in two or three.

5. Marques Colston, WR, Hofstra-Big, rangy WR at 6'3", 230, 4.55. Had an injury that set him back last year, but had a 70 rec., 975 yd. season this year. With his size & attitude, would be worth a 5th to bring in & see what he can do.

That's all I have for now.

that is a very underwhelming draft, outside of Tapp, but he would be a reach at 18

MiStar

Reaction score
Cogan said:

Hate to break it to you, but size and strength are Mangold's biggest weaknesses. He is a great technition, but he's not a roadgrader.