Cowboys Mock Take 2

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
1-Jason Allen S Would prefer Carpenter in a trade down, but value not there

2-Davin Joseph G Will provide great guard play for years

3-Babatunde Oshimande DT- Animal inside, pure animal

4-

5-Mike Hass WR I'm reaching here, hoping he'll fall due to lack of speed, but he'll be the possesion we really are looking for. Whomever gets him will get a stud.

6- Kai Parham ILB Will provide depth at the position and challenge to start in a couple of years

7-Donovan Raiola C Good depth and can play

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
"value not there" --- could you clarify please?

I would take Carpenter in a trade down.

1. Carpenter/Wimbley/Lawson in a trade down (pick up a 3rd)
2. Davin Joseph OG or Martin Nance WR
3a. Babatunde Oshinowo NT (is Oshimande the same guy?)
3b. Pat Watkins FS
4. ----------------------------------
5. *Get the best OT on the board*
6. I'll go with Kai Parham ILB
7. I would take a center here, so Donovan it is...

The only problem I have with your draft is....Where's the OLB??

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
"value not there" --- could you clarify please?

I would take Carpenter in a trade down.

1. Carpenter/Wimbley/Lawson in a trade down (pick up a 3rd)
2. Davin Joseph OG or Martin Nance WR
3a. Babatunde Oshinowo NT (is Oshimande the same guy?)
3b. Pat Watkins FS
4. ----------------------------------
5. *Get the best OT on the board*
6. I'll go with Kai Parham ILB
7. I would take a center here, so Donovan it is...

The only problem I have with your draft is....Where's the OLB??
I just don't think Carpenter is a top 20 player. We really need a trade down to justify taking him. Oshimande is the same guy, sorry, got caought up looking at the 2 Auburn receivers and this guy in the same 2 minute span.

Duane

Reaction score
My only gripe is that you don't address OLB at all in the draft.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Duane said:
My only gripe is that you don't address OLB at all in the draft.
Hoping Parham could maybe push for a spot and move Ayodele out. Still have hope for Thornton and Burnett also. If we traded down and got more picks that would be ideal, the value in the 2nd-4th rounds this year is great.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
I just don't think Carpenter is a top 20 player. We really need a trade down to justify taking him. Oshimande is the same guy, sorry, got caought up looking at the 2 Auburn receivers and this guy in the same 2 minute span.

That's why I would want a trade down. Carpenter is a good addition to our OLB corp (as is Lawson), but I would take Carpenter over Lawson because we would be able to trade down and obtain Carpenter. If we trade down far enough, we could pick up a 3rd round pick, which could be used to get a good FS in Pat Watkins and a good backup NT prospect in Oshimande(Oshinowo).

Other than no OLB, its fine. For some reason, I don't think that Parham will get picked. Ayodele doesn't seem like a good 3-4 OLB, I would like to keep him where he would contribute the most. He is also learning from Bradie James, so I wouldn't expect him to move outside, so IMO, no Parham, unless we already obtained an OLB...

Bizwah

Reaction score
I may be in the minority, but I hate the idea of taking a CB with a serious hip injury.

I've read reports that say Allen's hip may be a degenerative condition. I've read that one leg is only 85% as strong as the other.

Not worth the risk in round one IMO.

I'm not so sure that Allen won't drop to round two....even round three. Historically, teams get nervous about players that have had serious injuries.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
I may be in the minority, but I hate the idea of taking a CB with a serious hip injury.

I've read reports that say Allen's hip may be a degenerative condition. I've read that one leg is only 85% as strong as the other.

Not worth the risk in round one IMO.

I'm not so sure that Allen won't drop to round two....even round three. Historically, teams get nervous about players that have had serious injuries.
Made this before he failed a couple of physicals. Would replace with J. Williams or Whitner if not a trade down.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:

Wait a minute... you'd prefer Carpenter in a trade down, but you take a lesser player at 18 instead?

I just don't think Carpenter is a top 20 player.

But Jason Allen is?

I may be in the minority, but I hate the idea of taking a CB with a serious hip injury

Made this before he failed a couple of physicals.

Whether he failed his physical or not is irrelevant. He DID have hip replacement surgery. Even if he had passed his physical that is a serious red flag to have on you.

Would replace with J. Williams or Whitner if not a trade down.

Both of those guys are also lesser football players then Bobby Carpenter.

Reaction score
This "trade down to #22 & take Carpenter, because he's not a #18 pick" talk is making my head hurt. Why in the world does taking a player 4 picks later all of a sudden make it a good pick? If he's worth a 22, then he's worth an 18! Any Buckeye fan will tell you that all they have watched over the past couple of years is a linebacker who has a non-stop motor, an incredible nose for the ball, and a train wreck when he meets the ball carrier.
Not only that, but he has natural strength that really helps him get by OTs & TEs when rushing the QB. He is such a fine athlete, that you can play him at OLB, ILB, and situational DE, and he will be just as much trouble for the other team at one position as he is any of the others.

This "take a lesser value player if we can't move down" is a ludicrous statement. I would bet my house that if the Cowboys pick Bobby Carpenter in the 1st round this draft, he will be a perfect compliment to D. Ware on the other side. Just try to double Ware with Carpenter over there on the other side. You will pay. I guarantee it!

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Cogan said:
This "trade down to #22 & take Carpenter, because he's not a #18 pick" talk is making my head hurt. Why in the world does taking a player 4 picks later all of a sudden make it a good pick? If he's worth a 22, then he's worth an 18! Any Buckeye fan will tell you that all they have watched over the past couple of years is a linebacker who has a non-stop motor, an incredible nose for the ball, and a train wreck when he meets the ball carrier.
Not only that, but he has natural strength that really helps him get by OTs & TEs when rushing the QB. He is such a fine athlete, that you can play him at OLB, ILB, and situational DE, and he will be just as much trouble for the other team at one position as he is any of the others.

This "take a lesser value player if we can't move down" is a ludicrous statement. I would bet my house that if the Cowboys pick Bobby Carpenter in the 1st round this draft, he will be a perfect compliment to D. Ware on the other side. Just try to double Ware with Carpenter over there on the other side. You will pay. I guarantee it!
I don't know where you got trade to 22? I was thinking 29. Big difference. On Carpenter, I like the player but in my opinion he's not worth a top 20 pick. I wouldn't call it a huge reach at 18, but I prefer in the high 20's. As far as Allen, Williams or Whitner, I guess I am taking into account a need for the team rather than BPA, which I normally don't do, so I may reconsider depending on who is there.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
ive been preaching the trade down to the 24 spot (bengals) for a while now, and carpenter will most likely be there maybe even lawson if were lucky, but i doubt it. this gives us another 3rd round pick. see my sig.

Justis

Reaction score
I would rather sit on 18 and draft Carpenter than trade down and pick Jason Allen.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Justis said:
I would rather sit on 18 and draft Carpenter than trade down and pick Jason Allen.

Jason Allen in round one is the dumbest thing ive heard. even before failing his physical again i had him at the 49th pick at best. now after failing the physical his draft stock is dropping and he might be around in the third. we get carpenter at 24 and jason allen in round 3 pick #80.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:

2-Davin Joseph G Will provide great guard play for years

3-Babatunde Oshimande DT- Animal inside, pure animal

4-

5-Mike Hass WR I'm reaching here, hoping he'll fall due to lack of speed, but he'll be the possesion we really are looking for. Whomever gets him will get a stud.

6- Kai Parham ILB Will provide depth at the position and challenge to start in a couple of years

7-Donovan Raiola C Good depth and can play

Another question. I've seen Parham going in the 3rd round. Do you really expect him to be there in the 6th??

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Another question. I've seen Parham going in the 3rd round. Do you really expect him to be there in the 6th??
When you run a 5.1 40 yd dash, anything is possible. See Earnest Shazor, Browner, etc.